• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just got my ticket

lazypengu1n

NES Member
Hello All,

I came across a old thread about 4 years ago about classes from Nashua Area Radio Society. I signed up and took their Technician class this weekend, passed and now just waiting for my ticket. I didn't expect the pass the General test but I took it anyways. I got 19/35. "The longest 10 days..." Still way shorter than waiting for any NFA item.

They have a General and Extra class that I will be planning to take as well.

I wanted to be able to chat during my daily commute from NH to MA. I have an IT background and didn't know you could hook up radio to computers and get contacts around the world. That would be the something I like to do down the road.

At this time, I am trying to figure out the best rig for my truck - 2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD that I can use during my commute.

Currently looking at the ICOM-2730A, Firestik 2M-4. Not sure how I am going to mount the radio or antenna yet.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great!

Congrats.

I took the Nashua tech class and passed in late 2016, and then went on to take their general and extra classes right after, and passed both.

The xyl also took their classes in 2017, and went to general level, just missing the extra test by 1.

Congratulations to all the new license holders. I have an Advanced class license, old timer now. Extra class, at the time, required code at 20 wpm, Advanced was only 13, I quit after 13 wpm, this gave me 95% of band usage, so this is what most of us did. I should probably study up and take the exam, now that code is not a requirement.

Congratulations to all the new license holders. I have an Advanced class license, old timer now. Extra class, at the time, required code at 20 wpm, Advanced was only 13, I quit after 13 wpm, this gave me 95% of band usage, so this is what most of us did. I should probably study up and take the exam, now that code is not a requirement.

I’m in the same boat...advanced class license since 1986. I’ve been kicking around taking my extra class test but I hate taking tests.

Last edited:
Congrats guys, there's a couple of good repeaters that are active during drive times. Just scan around and I'm sure you will find them.

The IC-2730 is a good looking radio. I considered it before I got my v71a. I couldn't recommend that radio enough.

Back
Top Bottom