• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just got back from the trap range and…

Boy do I suck. I need to get out there way more often.

That being said the Petersham Gun Club is a great club. A lot of good people there.

My first try at Trap this last Thursday at Pelham F&G - two rounds of Singles and maybe hit half the 2nd round. I was thrilled! It was so fun!

I had the shortest, cheapest O/U (Benelli 3000, Dick's Stoeger Condor version) in the rack. But the crew was tolerant, nice and encouraging.

I'll be back...

I've taken a few friends who have never even held a gun... got them to hit about a 3rd of their targets...

1) lead the target, just a tad
2) DO NOT STOP MOVING THE FIREARM WHEN YOU GO TO PULL THE TRIGGER!!

It seems that #2 is most folks biggest issue.

I've taken a few friends who have never even held a gun... got them to hit about a 3rd of their targets...

1) lead the target, just a tad
2) DO NOT STOP MOVING THE FIREARM WHEN YOU GO TO PULL THE TRIGGER!!

It seems that #2 is most folks biggest issue.

I think your right about #2. I caught myself flinching just before I pulled the trigger a few times.

Shoot "through" the target. Meaning, continue to pattern your shot by moving the barrel of the gun along the trajectory (assumed or estimated) of the bird as you try to hit it. Although shot comes out real fast, it has been shown that the shot pattern of a moving barrel will spread along the line of the gun as you move it. This can help a great deal if you are leading or lagging the target too much and would not hit it otherwise with a stationary barrel (as you fired).

Or - just do what Hiltonizer said....

Last edited:
Free Advice (worth what it costs?)

Many Trap shooters are quite willing to give advice and "lessons", if asked.

The nice thing about this is that you'll often get completely different advice from different shooters, so you'll never be bored! [smile]

IMHO: Most importantly, find a gun that fits - it's easier to do in person than describe, so ask a few friendly Trap shooters if they'll let you try theirs on for size. An inexpensive gun that fits you will work better than an expensive one that doesn't!

Best thing to do is watch a couple of rounds, and see what the shooters who break the most birds do. This is a good starting point.

Another very important point: there is only ONE bird - don't think about the one you just hit ( or missed) or how the other shooters are doing - just get the gun in the right position, call for the ONE bird, and let nature take its course.

This past weekend, my nephew brought his friend out to our Club, and after a breif explanation of the game (and a safety breifing - he'd never shot before), and a couple of rounds to "warm up", managed 18/25. Not too shabby!

OH, yeah......have fun!

Back
Top Bottom