• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Just call them n*****s': Baltimore city councilman

Thug is a negative word, but that's about it. I've heard white people called thugs before on many occasions. How did this word become racist? Great band too.... http://youtu.be/w0i6__dL5cw

I was listening to NPR tonight (yeah, I know) and they had some black language professor on. He was explaining that much like the dreaded "N word", the word "Thug" means something different when a white says it vs when a black says it.

In other words, it's exactly like calling a black guy the "N word" sorry black people, you can't turn every negative adjective into a racial slur to avoid criticism. Ain't happening.

I always hated that some people can say words others can't. It is if you excuse my language horse sh*t. Words are words. If they are used to hurt people don't say them. If it is inappropriate to say then it is inappropriate for everyone. Saying that a word means something different for some people because of their race is pretty much the textbook definition of racism.

There are most definitely times to get offended but you can't just get offended all the time. Sometimes there is no racial motivation to things. Some people are just jerks. If you act like a idiot you just may get called on it.

In other words, it's exactly like calling a black guy the "N word" sorry black people, you can't turn every negative adjective into a racial slur to avoid criticism. Ain't happening.

You know, it's funny (not funny ha ha) - a few years ago I was in LA (I know ;p ) and I heard a story on the radio talking about a movement where Latinos didn't want to be called Latinos because it had acquired a negative connotation, just like Chicano had before it, and they now wants to be called (I forget what).

But the bottom line is that their thinking is that any term used to describe their race will, over time, have an inherently negative connotation simply because it refers to their race. So really, they view their race as a sign of inferiority, and any mention of it is therefore demeaning, hence your using those words is racist. And, by the way, that is your fault.

Got it?

You rock out to NWA. I used to crank opera as loud as it would go while driving my striped out autocross car through downtown Springfield. Assumptions are for chumps.

If you really want to **** with people, make a playlist with NWA and Taylor Swift, shuffle, crank it, and cruise around in your blacked out F-150 with the windows halfway down. Maybe throw in select tracks from Man of la Mancha to be idiosyncratic.

I'm not saying I'd ever do that; I'm speaking hypothetically.

Verdi ftw!

374576-south-park-people-who-annoy-you.jpg
Can I buy a vowel with my ebt?

It can, and is happening.

I always hated that some people can say words others can't. It is if you excuse my language horse sh*t. Words are words. If they are used to hurt people don't say them. If it is inappropriate to say then it is inappropriate for everyone. Saying that a word means something different for some people because of their race is pretty much the textbook definition of racism.

There are most definitely times to get offended but you can't just get offended all the time. Sometimes there is no racial motivation to things. Some people are just jerks. If you act like a idiot you just may get called on it.

Are you married? My wife can call me bitch, but if I call her that . . . bad things happen.

When did "thug" become racialized?

What possible reason do some of these people have with the use of that word?

Possibly because similar actions by other ethnicities are not consistently described using the same language. If all rioters in every situation are described as thugs, then there is no issue. Look up other riots, and see how the rioters are described.

When did "thug" become racialized?

What possible reason do some of these people have with the use of that word?

Possibly because similar actions by other ethnicities are not consistently described using the same language. If all rioters in every situation are described as thugs, then there is no issue. Look up other riots, and see how the rioters are described.

So now 'thug' is only used to describe blacks who riot? Goddammit how am I supposed to keep up?

I use 'thug' to describe any person who does thuggish things. Historically, it had nothing to do with race. There are plenty of white thugs.

Like, the guy who carjacked Uncle Ben in the Spiderman movie. He wasn't black. Come to think of it, the guy who shot Bruce Wayne's parents was a white thug, too.

Surely there are other examples.

This would be fine if you weren't making it up right now. What other riots? Who? Where?

So now I can only use a word universally or else it's racist? Ok, the next time I see white people on TV burning down their neighborhood, I will remember to call them thugs. Same when Asians or Indians riot.

ETA: Def: Thug, noun, a violent criminal.

Seems appropos the behavior in Baltimore.

Last edited:
Yet another hypocrisy here is that the only possible racist link you can make to black people and the word thug, is the Thug Life album with Tupac et al, in which they popularized being a violent criminal as a way of life for young black men. Therefore, if you see young black men acting in a criminally violent way, and you call them thugs, racism.

Man, no matter how many different ways I explain it, it still sounds ****ing stupid.

The word "thug" has been used extensively in rap music. Because of that, idiots assume the word is to be linked only to blacks. I listen to a lot of punk, oi!, and hardcore. "Thug" is a prominent term in this music, especially in Europe and Australia. It's a word that implies criticism of character. Not sure how that's racist. Can we call them rabble rousers and make that a racist term as well?

Back
Top Bottom