• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just bought my first handgun

Finally bought my first handgun. I've had a 10/22 since I turned 18 and even though I got my LTC a couple years ago I never had the money to do it.

I stopped by Holliston Firearms today to look at his mosin nagant 19/30 and walked out with a S&W 442 for $410. I figured the 442 was slightly more practical and it fit better in my hand[smile].

BTW I highly recommend going to Holliston Firearms. Great experience with the guy and he seemed vary knowledgeable. He was walking another customer through breaking down a Rugar MKIII while I was in there.

so now i'm looking for advice on a few things:

1) primary purpose is as a CCW, so do i go with laser grips when i get a few bucks or not? I'm leaning towards yes, but I wanted other opinions as well.

2)Ammo, what do people suggest for carrying and for the range? i've heard good things about Speer Gold Dot.

3) recommendations for a pocket holster, any brands better then another?

Thanks!

Good choice with the 442 I love mine! I cant seem to get anything to pocket carry just doesn't feel natural but its pretty comfortable to IWB with a crossbreed style holster (I make my own) or ankle carry with a fobus rig. I would recommend getting the cheapest range ammo or reloads to get used to it and then 200 or so Speer gold dot or Hornady critical defense to get used to the feel of the +P and get experience with what ammo you will be carrying (Im sure someone will disagree.) I do prefer the Hornady though. As for the lasers my feeling is that its whatever makes you comfortable.

Finally bought my first handgun. I've had a 10/22 since I turned 18 and even though I got my LTC a couple years ago I never had the money to do it.

I stopped by Holliston Firearms today to look at his mosin nagant 19/30 and walked out with a S&W 442 for $410. I figured the 442 was slightly more practical and it fit better in my hand[smile].

BTW I highly recommend going to Holliston Firearms. Great experience with the guy and he seemed vary knowledgeable. He was walking another customer through breaking down a Rugar MKIII while I was in there.

so now i'm looking for advice on a few things:

1) primary purpose is as a CCW, so do i go with laser grips when i get a few bucks or not? I'm leaning towards yes, but I wanted other opinions as well.

2)Ammo, what do people suggest for carrying and for the range? i've heard good things about Speer Gold Dot.

Thanks!

yes, get the Crimson Trace LG-405 grips. They will improve the shootability of the j-frame immensely. Carry ammo is 135gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel...First Defense in Uxbridge usually has them in stock. One of the best j-frame loads there is. If I need to pocket carry, it is in a Desantis Nemesis holster and reloads are two Bianchi Speed Strips.

Have you shot the 442 before you bought it? It is a difficult gun to shoot due to its light weight and tiny sights. I would recommend finding the lightest 38 rounds you can get for range use. I shoot 125gr loads from QMMO, they are puff puff loads to me and great for practice. But even with them, more than a couple cylinders out of my j-frame is usually too much for new shooters when I take them to the range.

F

Thanks!

1) Laser grips, eh not for me, but if you like them then go for it. [grin]

2) Gold Dots are a good choice, but I have heard good things about Critical Defense in .38. For the range, white box or what ever is cheapest, its a revolver, it'll feed anything [wink]

3) I use an Uncle Mikes, but its far from the best. Disantis makes good ones, but you can also look for a leather one if that suits you. Shop around online and see whats available.

Good choice, the 442/642 are real nice guns. No hammer to potentially snag when drawing from a pocket. I got a deal on some used CT grips in the classifieds awhile back. I probably wouldn't have plunked down the money if I had to pay full price though.

Back
Top Bottom