• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just bought a SW1911 pro series

roccoracer

NES Member
I have not shot it yet but I had a couple of observations.
The magazines that came with it are ACT and do not seem to work well. I could not chamber anything other than ball ammo. If I switch to one of my many colt or milspec magazines it will chamber anything i have. Is it possible that the springs are too tight? Also there are two scratches on the frame that were there when I opened the box and it looked like it had been shot several times and not cleaned before going into the box. The top of the barrel (where it is marked 45 acp and has the loaded chamber indicator) is scratched up. Has anyone else bought one of these and if so did yours look fired already? I know the dealer and trust that it was not a used gun (I had to wait for the order to come in). I will post some pictures of what I am talking about when I get home from work.
zavynyta.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My old 3" Pro series wasn't the most reliable gun (feeding/extraction issues) but am curious to see photos to see how "new" it is?

eruhasu4.jpg
y9umu9yr.jpg
gu8etyqa.jpg
here are some pictures.

My r1 got those marks on the slide after racking the slide a few times.
Most Likely it's from function testing / test firing etc .
Looks like they test fired it and didn't clean it.
My xds came with a proof brass and the gun was spotless.

Other marks I wouldn't be happy about with a new gun. But you brought it home so that's kinda hard to handle now. I inspect guns before I leave the store so I don't have those problems .

The mags .... I normally fill my mags and let them sit for a few days.
Try that and see if it helps.

It is test fired at the factory and they don't clean 'em after. That gun looks mint to me. Sub compact 1911's aren't renowned for their reliability. If you can find a mag from any maker that will run reliably in that gun buy several and live long and prosper.

It is test fired at the factory and they don't clean 'em after. That gun looks mint to me. Sub compact 1911's aren't renowned for their reliability. If you can find a mag from any maker that will run reliably in that gun buy several and live long and prosper.

I hope that it is reliable. This is the most expensive pistol I have ever bought. I have a H&K P30L coming soon and it will be a close second.

I had one, and wanted like hell to love it.... especially considering what I paid for it. What I discovered was that it was uncomfortable to shoot, completly unreliable and needed to have the recoil spring replaced frequently to keep it running right. For a carry gun, I wanted something I could depend on. The 3" 1911 wasn't it. I ended up selling it, taking a beating, and going to something different. For a range gun or collector piece, definitely. CCW? For me, no. It does seem like other guys have had them and had better luck. Hopefully it'll run better for you.

I have the S&W Pro series 1911 in 9mm. It's a very nice pistol. It's full size so I can't say how it compares to compact S&W 1911's but this one is a gem. I also only use FMJ's in my automatics. As for the scratches on the chamber, all mine came through with those. I lightly use a bit of 1200 grit sandpaper, then mothers billet polish and they buff up really well. Here are some of my Smith autos, the pro series is the upper right. The mags shown, some are Wilson, some Tripp, both work really well.

I had one, and wanted like hell to love it.... especially considering what I paid for it. What I discovered was that it was uncomfortable to shoot, completly unreliable and needed to have the recoil spring replaced frequently to keep it running right. For a carry gun, I wanted something I could depend on. The 3" 1911 wasn't it. I ended up selling it, taking a beating, and going to something different. For a range gun or collector piece, definitely. CCW? For me, no. It does seem like other guys have had them and had better luck. Hopefully it'll run better for you.

I had one and was similar to you. Really wanted to love the thing but it was unreliable, did not feed ammo or extract it very well. I had the Lew Horton edition that was dolled up a bit. Ended up selling it and now have a 4.25" E-series bobtail and haven't looked back.

I have that same gun and I have never had a feed problem or an ejection problem. Only problem I had is the empty cases bounce off my head once and a while. I actually love mine and carry it often.

That doesn't do anything. If you need to "break in" a new magazine spring, load and unload it several times. Springs do not wear out from static loads. Compression & decompression cycles are what wears them out.

Very nice gun, unlike a few, I have had nothing but excellent performance from my 3" Pro's, I have 2 of them.. I would suggest, shooting a bunch of ball ammo if you are wanting to get used to it then work your way into using your carry ammo..

That doesn't do a damn thing... The loading and unloading of a spring is what "breaks them in"

Looks like normal fired from the factory type stuff from the pictures

Edit: the proper break in for a spring has already been stated better above...

Have faith. You have to break it in. You'll love the 1911 in the end. I have the same model. Polished the feed ramp and I've never had any feed issues.

Last edited:
If the top of the barrel is scratched, the frame impact area may be too far forward and not allowing the barrel to swing down enough.

Back
Top Bottom