• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just applied for a job that requires you to carry a firearm!

I've been full time at a job for the past four years. The beginning of this year they cut my hours in half because of the economy. I'm now forced to seek part time employment. I came across a job with an armed security company. You HAVE to possess a Class A unrestricted. They will supply a firearm plus you can carry whatever you want! LOVE IT[grin]

My wife works at Kohls and they specifically state in their handbook that you're not allowed to carry while on the clock. I've heard of so many other companies with the same policies extending to their parking lot. I cracked a big ol grin when I saw the requirement of carrying a firearm for a job. [wink]

I never thought of the job opportunities that could arise by having a Class A.

Anyone else work where it's required to carry?

I like to think the office has a concealed carry requirement but I think it's a don't ask don't tell scenario so I can't be positive .... [wink]

I'm prohibited from having any weapon (firearm, knife, etc.) on me and cannot have a firearm in my car/on company property. I'm an engineer working at a defense contractor.

I bet it is cheaper for an employer to require a Class A LTC than for them to run a background check or CORI check. In fact, with discretion involved, it goes ABOVE AND BEYOND a CORI check.

I bet it is cheaper for an employer to require a Class A LTC than for them to run a background check or CORI check. In fact, with discretion involved, it goes ABOVE AND BEYOND a CORI check.

However they still do CORI checks. The company would have to be retarded not to...

QA. At one point everybody in my department had a license to carry. The developers knew it - it was the only way we could get them to fix their code.
[laugh2]

I just have to CC a higher up to the emails of code that needs to fixed and will finally get a developer reply in no time!

The programming folks are good here, since the email communication is so strong you can only get away with "I missed that email" on a blue moon... I'll be wearing coke bottle glasses before I die from reading 300+ emails a day

QA. At one point everybody in my department had a license to carry. The developers knew it - it was the only way we could get them to fix their code.

Most of my team carries, but Juniper is such lib company that if word one got out, people would run screeming. But I do need to find a way to prod developer buttoks.

I would never carry a gun for money, unless there was a LEO badge with it from a real department.

Too many nuts out there looking to rob stores, banks in this economy, and if they shoot you, or you shoot them, it doesn't matter it is a clusterfark of the Nth degree.

My first wifes uncle took a bullet as an armored car driver, the rest of his life was pure hell. How are you going to support your family on Workman's comp?

I would look into any other job opportunity before I went the route of carrying a gun for money unless it was military or a real department that is going to make sure you and your family are taken care of.

PS where I worked unless you worked on the money trucks, were a agency cop, or had written permission from the GM, it was a no no to carry, but when I was working in Roxbury and Dorchester I carried every day, policy be damned

Most of my team carries, but Juniper is such lib company that if word one got out, people would run screeming. But I do need to find a way to prod developer buttoks.

That is funny, due to the amount of folks trying to work from home today, we have reached the roof on the # of Juniper licenses we currently have. The late rising folks trying to log in from home are now limbo until we can obtain more.

That is funny, due to the amount of folks trying to work from home today, we have reached the roof on the # of Juniper licenses we currently have. The late rising folks trying to log in from home are now limbo until we can obtain more.

Maybe Sibb can expedite the process? [wink][wink]

Although, if your company is like mine, IT battles Accounting on occasion.

In my company accounting usually wins because I'm of a similar mindset re: spending and Accounting = my boss = owner of the business.

I would never carry a gun for money, unless there was a LEO badge with it from a real department.

Too many nuts out there looking to rob stores, banks in this economy, and if they shoot you, or you shoot them, it doesn't matter it is a clusterfark of the Nth degree.

Back in the wagon train days I subcontracted for Diebold to fix/ maintain ATM's. At the time, the notion of needing a LTC was very attractive. However after 16 months of duty & reports of fellow people in the field getting held up, I hastely found new employment. The pay wasn't that great either.

Hope your (OP's) opportunity works out for you & is safer/ more lucrative than mine was.

I'm prohibited from having any weapon (firearm, knife, etc.) on me and cannot have a firearm in my car/on company property. I'm an engineer working at a defense contractor.

Do they let you have pencils or pens? How about newspapers? Anybody who can't figure out how to use a pen, pencil, newspaper or similar "harmless" items as lethal weapons has no business calling himself an engineer. [rolleyes]

Ken

My first wifes uncle took a bullet as an armored car driver, the rest of his life was pure hell. How are you going to support your family on Workman's comp?

Job sucks for several reasons:

- Very low pay

- NO guarantee of quality legal representation to protect YOUR interests if you use you weapon at work.

- YOU are the first and prime suspect in any robbery. If you are held up, the assumption until proven otherwise is that you were in on it. It's sort of like having your wife die under mysterious circumstances - there is a default "prime suspect".

Do they let you have pencils or pens? How about newspapers? Anybody who can't figure out how to use a pen, pencil, newspaper or similar "harmless" items as lethal weapons has no business calling himself an engineer. [rolleyes]

Ken

Did I miss your sarcasm?

Our company policy states no firearms in company vehicles. Then they send us out to Hartford, Manchester, Bridgeport industrial areas. We have had trucks damaged and tools stolen on many occasions.
The perps come around at the end of the day and ask if you want to buy some tools for $50! Cops say give them the $50???
Out of 9 hourly employees 3 have a LTC. 4 more are hunters.
Out of 4 Office employees 3 have a LTC.
Out of 2 female employees 1 holds a LTC!!!!!!

Now I wonder just how many might have a don't ask/don't tell hide out gun???

I mean I am just say-in'

I've been full time at a job for the past four years. The beginning of this year they cut my hours in half because of the economy. I'm now forced to seek part time employment. I came across a job with an armed security company. You HAVE to possess a Class A unrestricted. They will supply a firearm plus you can carry whatever you want! LOVE IT[grin]

My wife works at Kohls and they specifically state in their handbook that you're not allowed to carry while on the clock. I've heard of so many other companies with the same policies extending to their parking lot. I cracked a big ol grin when I saw the requirement of carrying a firearm for a job. [wink]

I never thought of the job opportunities that could arise by having a Class A.

Anyone else work where it's required to carry?

Congrats!

Yup, I'm my own boss and I insist on it. [smile]

Very abbreviated story. Back in 1978-9 I hired some developers to program a DEC computer to monitor a fire protection system we were installing at Yankee Rowe. DEC swore up and down that all we needed for hardware was what they spec'd and installed. Well, DEC FS Engineer leaves and the system blew up. Then the FS Supv tells me that it will be 1 MONTH to get the new power supply we needed. Meanwhile I've got contractors from PA on our clock. I make a call to an old college buddy (DEC FS Manager) and get a call from FS Supv with his tail between his legs. New PS is to be installed the following day. Since it's in the Control Room, the FS Engineer is locked in with an armed security guard (you needed an access control card with proper security level to open the door from inside the room). I gave the guard orders that the FS Engineer does NOT leave that room until the computer is completely checked out by my developers even if the guy has to sleep on the floor! [smile]

I would look into any other job opportunity before I went the route of carrying a gun for money unless it was military or a real department that is going to make sure you and your family are taken care of.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a very good friend was forced to retire from PD after getting rear-ended in the cruiser. Town is only required to have $30K insurance for officer injury per MGLs. The town was docking his paycheck $100/week (while out on disability) to "repay" the town for the expenses and he was left with a personal debt of >$100K in medical bills. As a Reserve PO, my chief (at that time, different one in above example) told me if we were injured/KIA, we were on our own as the town would not cover us since we were PT employees (or some never worked paid details/shifts and thus were volunteers).

Job sucks for several reasons:

- NO guarantee of quality legal representation to protect YOUR interests if you use you weapon at work.

If you ever met our current or prior Town Counsel, you'd know that you'd never have competent counsel in case of any legal issues! [shocked]

There is an armed security guy at the Autozone in town. I can't figure that one out.

Guess they're going to start selling rims...

[rofl] [laugh]

You are happy that you are getting a job where you have to carry a gun,but it is not in law enforcement ?

I really don't see what there is to get excited about.

Think about it,I'll bet the insurance underwriters for the company explicitly prohibit you from actually using deadly force to protect whatever it is they are paying you to protect.

Unless you have a bunch of laws to protect you that citizens don't have when you have to use deadly force(LEO) I would seriously think about taking the job.Cops have court systems,judges,lawyers and their "Brothers in Blue" to cover up their deadly mistakes,do you ?

Ken

Did I miss your sarcasm?

None intended. From a legal perspective, firearms are considered per se to be weapons. Corporate policies generally don't have that sort of thing included, so when they ban possession of "weapons" without some specific definitions or itemized list, it would seem open to interpretation. I have no specific intention of using my carry gun as a weapon, but I can if the need should arise. Of course, I could also kill or seriously injure an assailant with a pen, pencil, rolled up newspaper, or any of a hundred other common items. Any engineer who gives the topic a little thought could figure out how. So is it their intent to ban pencils, pens, paper, belts, shoelaces, car keys, and ten thousand other common objects by their policies? Do they expect their employees to show up for work naked, or is there some secret list of items that, while they certainly could be used as weapons, aren't covered by their policies? Or perhaps they simply expect their employees to be simply drones, lacking any creative ability or capacity for independent thought.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom