• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just about had it with this Iver Johnson M1C

Broke another piece after about 12 rounds at the gunpowder pig shoot. The gas block (I think it's called) popped off the barrel and the piston in it broke... Gahhhh! The locking lobe on the bolt carrier broke off after the first couple of mags through it and I had to replace it with a slightly loose blued milsurp one that jams periodically.

I have probably $700 into this stainless monstrosity and God only knows what it will cost me to have this repaired... What to do??? [angry]

Last edited:
It is like putting money into an old car that needs repair. If that is all you have to spend then it makes sense, but if it just keeps breaking down, then it is a waste of money. There is no way to predict the future. You can sell it for parts, fix it then sell it, not fix it and hang it on a wall or fix it and hope that was the last problem. I had an IAI M1 Carbine like that. First I had to fix all the problems created by the previous owner(s) who tried to fix it and then I was able to isolate the problem. The feed ramp was not ground down to the right angle. A little dremel work and it has run smooth since then. So... in the end it was worth the effort and money.

It is like putting money into an old car that needs repair. If that is all you have to spend then it makes sense, but if it just keeps breaking down, then it is a waste of money. There is no way to predict the future. You can sell it for parts, fix it then sell it, not fix it and hang it on a wall or fix it and hope that was the last problem. I had an IAI M1 Carbine like that. First I had to fix all the problems created by the previous owner(s) who tried to fix it and then I was able to isolate the problem. The feed ramp was not ground down to the right angle. A little dremel work and it has run smooth since then. So... in the end it was worth the effort and money.
You hit it on the head! These are exactly the thoughts going through my head. Even if I can find a replacement piston and it's not prohibitively expensive to have the block micro-welded (or whatever) back on to the barrel, I still have the balky bolt carrier fit and who knows which of these brittle stainless pieces will break next... the slide maybe??

Pretty sure my doesn't want it on the wall, so my options seem to be "sell it for parts now or pay to fix it and sell it before it breaks again". Just frustrating to think of what I could have with the money I've put into this.

Sucks to hear that....I only have a few iver Johnson guns. Both are made and imported from germany.
as for m1 carbines I never had much luck with the few commercial ones. All had simulacra problems....bolts breaking gas block loose sights ect ect
Try Noah's motors in natick.......hes good with these old guns.

If you broke the gas block, then the whole barrel will need replacing. Sure didn't break the slide or piston nut?
The gas block on this looks to have been a separately machined piece that was somehow bonded to the barrel, so the separation is smooth rather than "broken" looking.

The piston, on the other hand, is clearly snapped off from its base behind the piston nut, but the piston nut itself seems to be intact.

Surprisingly, the frail-looking slide seems to be the one thing that hasn't broken (yet).

Here's a picture of the naughty bits. Slide is retracted and held back by the slide stop.

IMG00396-20120820-1010.jpg

And here are a close-ups of the where the block is mounted to the barrel, and then the block with the piston nut and back end of the piston removed. I don't know much about welding stainless steel, but the facings of the block and the barrel look to me like they had a tenuous hold on one-another.

IMG00398-20120820-1021.jpg

IMG00397-20120820-1018.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch!

I don't even remember if the gas block on the USGI guns was a separate machined part, or part of the barrel. I'll have to look at my Underwood when I get a chance.

Either way, that looks like a job for a competent gunsmith. If that were my gun I'd be a little apprehensive about tackling that myself. What is it, bonded on there with gorilla glue?!

I believe Noah's is in Saugus on Rte 1, and Sergei is in Natick. Both could fix whatever issues you have, but I would think long and hard if you really want to go down that route.

I collect M1 carbines and have had a bunch over the years, but I have stayed with USGI's almost all the time. The two times I have strayed into the commercial carbines (an Iver Johnson and a Plainfield) I got burned. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who have had great experiences with the commercial rifles, but mine just sucked and constantly broke. I saved a little money in the short term and dumped the guns for parts at the end. I have a handful of USGI models that you can try if you are ever around Westwood Gun Club.

Last edited:
I believe Noah's is in Saugus on Rte 1, and Sergei is in Natick. Both could fix whatever issues you have, but I would think long and hard if you really want to go down that route.

I collect M1 carbines and have had a bunch over the years, but I have stayed with USGI's almost all the time. The two times I have strayed into the commercial carbines (an Iver Johnson and a Plainfield) I got burned. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who have had great experiences the the commercial rifles, but my just sucked and constantly broke. I saved a little money in the short term and dumped the guns for parts at the end. I have a handful of USGI models that you can try if you are ever around Westwood Gun Club.
Thanks for the insights, Sam! Sergei (Lyalko) in Natick is my usual go-to guy and was able to help me when the bolt carrier broke. But I think you're right... time to start a thread over in the legal section about the legal implications of parting it out. Also need to figure out how best to price the parts since stainless Iver Johnson parts seem pretty rare. I know I should be able to get at least $100 for the blued bolt assembly...

Thanks also for your offer to shoot some old veterans. Will have to ultimately figure out in which direction I want to go for my next rifle. The M1C speaks to me because of my family history with it, but this first go 'round makes me a bit "gun shy" (if you'll pardon the expression) about older pieces of unknown provenance. I've been lusting after a new SA M1A, but those are pretty pricey.

Back
Top Bottom