1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Jury reaches verdict in killing of Kate Steinle on Pier 14 in San Francisco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reptile, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

Someone mentioned this case in another thread and it got me curious. After doing some reading about it, the trial indeed was a shitshow. But in the opposite manner I (and many others) thought.

The fact he was acquitted is actually very surprising, because it was the prosecution who was allowed to do whatever they wanted and the defense that was hamstrung.

There were so many violations and errors in law by the judge and prosecution that all charges should have been dismissed on those grounds. Blatant due process violations. Definitely not a fair trial.

The fact the prosecution mostly failed despite their efforts is quite surprising.

What most were correct about, is that he was definitely overcharged.

Whole system is corrupt. I think at a legit fair trial they’d probably have gotten a manslaughter conviction. But they chose to try and lie and cheat their way to a murder conviction. That rightly failed.

teaser452 likes this.
  2. teaser452

teaser452

Yeah. Reminds me of the OJ case in some ways.

Everyone knew he did it. By between police incompetence with the chain of custody of evidence, to the prosecutors and judge Ito preening for the cameras, to the circus it turned into.

If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.

I was glad OJ got off. And was glad he was bankrupted in civil court.

And then outraged when they banged him
    Up pretty good with the crap Florida case. Or Nevada case. Whoever it happened. Over punished to get even for the case they lost in LA. There is no justice in the system. Not for criminals and not for victims.

3. Waher

Waher NES Member

4. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

California appeals court overturns sole conviction in Kate Steinle death

Garcia-Zarate remains in custody and is facing federal charges of gun possession and being in the country illegally. His attorney, Tony Serra, told The Associated Press that trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 13 and added that the appeals court reversal will give prosecutors the option to re-try Garcia-Zarate.

California appeals court overturns sole conviction in Kate Steinle death

Might be a good thing is he is retried.

5. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Real justice would only come from the barrel of a gun.

Laura likes this.
  6. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

Appeals Court Reverses Gun Conviction In Kate Steinle Killing

Well, that's it. Apparently in California you can pick up a gun and shoot someone in the back in broad daylight, but the courts can find you
    didn't possess a gun, or didn't know you had one, and you're not responsible. IF ... you are an illegal alien.

7. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

He probably promised to vote Democrat. Jack.

8. fencer

fencer NES Member

This whole case is more disgusting than words can describe. I can not even begin to fathom the horror that her father has to deal with.
    I would spend the rest of my life, the last penny I had and gladly trade my freedom to watch this motherf***er die painfully, if I was him.
    Find an inmate with multiple life sentences, pay him a visit and offer to buy his momma a new car or pay his kids college tuition.

amm5061 likes this.
  9. jpk

jpk

If you want to get to the bottom of it look at who his lawyer(s) were and who paid for them.......

Suffice it to say the shitbag wasnt represented by a public defender......

Waher and JayMcB like this.
  10. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

You are way off base. That doesn’t get to the bottom of anything.

The acquittals and now the sole conviction being overturned have everything to do with the prosecution.

And based on the trial, the overturning is appropriate.

The prosecution went with a story of how this guy stole the gun (which they didn’t charge him with and had no evidence to support), took it to the pier for the exclusive purpose of shooting someone.

The defense claimed his picked up the shirt, didn’t know there was a gun inside, accidentally fired it before knowing it was a gun, and then put it back down.

This left the jury with two choices, believe the prosecutions story, which they clearly didn’t, and convict him of murder and the rest, or acquit him. There really was no option based on what was presented at trial for anything inbetween.

Had the prosecution gone with a scenario like he found it, picked it up without knowing what it was, realized it was a gun and decided to see if it was real or loaded by pulling the trigger, they likely would have gotten a manslaughter and illegal possession conviction. But the prosecution didn’t go with that, or even leave a possibility of that. It was all or nothing.

And they rightly lost. Because their story was BS.

It’s a damn shame for Kate’s family because he is certainly responsible for her death and guilty of manslaughter. And the state certainly also has responsibility for her death for intentionally enabling illegals to be there. But they’re unlikely to ever get anything close to justice. Not in CA.

KBCraig likes this.
  11. kevin9

kevin9

And what are the odds the DA went with all-or-nothing for the "strong on crime" PR, knowing full well it'd likely fail and thus not piss off the undocumented invaders and their enablers come election time.

12. hminsky

The prosecution may have been dolts, but a big part of this is that drooling morons on the jury had no idea how guns work, so think it is an everyday thing to pick up a handgun wrapped in a towel and have it randomly fire and hit a specific target at 25 yards. Because the only experience they have had is watching people with guns in the movies. They have no idea a how difficult it is to hit a target with a handgun at that range. And it was a Sig 239 , so it's not exactly a hair trigger or poorly made gun (cough Taurus cough). I'm assuming the hammer was not cocked, so it required a full double action pull, because why would someone have a double/single and leave it cocked? But I digress.

It's obvious to any of us that the guy pointed it with a target in view and pulled the trigger. Who cares if it ricocheted off the pavement, he shot low, but it was pointed in exactly the right azimuthal direction, to within 1/2 degree of arc. I maintain the jury was feeble minded to buy anything the defense was spinning.

13. Picton

Picton NES Member

Then the prosecutor should have planned for a dumbass jury and made the case more airtight.

14. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

I have a 239 and you are exactly right, you have to mean to pull that trigger.

15. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

IMO
    if the shooter had been a licensed, legal gun owner, the D.A. would have gone ALL IN to convict, on whatever variety of charges
    If the Federal Employee had been a licensed, legal ( civilian) that lost his weapon & was used in a murder,
    license would be pulled, charged for not securing (a loaded) weapon & and plethora of other counts
    Just saying............

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  16. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

1. He didn’t hit a specific target. He didn’t target and shoot her specifically.

2. The jury was prevented from testing the firearm despite requesting to do so. Not everyone is a gun owner.

3. It’s less they bought what the defense was saying and more they didn’t believe the prosecutions story. Neither story was believable. You don’t convict because the defense is weak. You convict only when the prosecution proves their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Picton likes this.
  17. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

The shot even skipped off the pier and hit her. The facts are completely opposite of what had everyone outraged.

18. hminsky

I contend that you still have to aim pretty carefully to hit someone with a pistol at 78 feet. The shot can be low or high, but it was aimed with precision at the correct azimuth angle. Bouncing off the pavement just tells me he shot low. It's more than coincidence to hit someone at that range. The bullet bounced at about 15 feet according to this article. So the guy dipped the gun as he was pulling the trigger. Pointing it at her back.

And on July 5, 2015, investigators found a chip in the concrete 12 to 15 feet from where Garcia Zarate was believed to be sitting and about 78 feet from where Steinle fell to the ground.

Prosecutor Diana Garcia asked Evans whether he'd formed an overall opinion about the shooting, and he was allowed to answer over objections from Garcia Zarate's defense attorney.

"A human being held a firearm, pointed it in the direction of Ms. Steinle, pulled the trigger and fired, killing her,” Evans testified. "That is the only way this could have occurred, that is reasonable."

On the ricochet, Evans described an action he called "jerking the trigger," in which a person -- generally an inexperienced shooter, pulls the trigger harder than necessary, causing the barrel to dip. He said that can result in what he called a "skip shot."

"It can be intentional or unintentional, but it's where the bullet that is fired strikes a hard surface in the direction of the target but short of the target," he said.​

19. Agnotology

Agnotology

I've heard conflicting information on this. Was a rag recovered with the gun? Does the gun weigh enough that cloth wrapped on the trigger could initiate firing? Was it only fired once, or 3 times? Why was he picking up a rag? Results of gunpowder residue test? There is a lot of conflicting information out there. He supposedly had the education level of a 2nd grader, is he mentally retarded? Or just never was educated?

US citizen or not, I believe in innocent until proven guilty, no matter how 'bad' the person. Prosecutor definitely over charged, wouldn't surprised if under pressure from local politicians and lobbyists.

At the end of the day, a life was lost in the most preventable of ways.

Bonesinium and Picton like this.
  20. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Even giving that preposterous claim the most generous interpretation, it makes clear that the proper charge (of which he probably would have been convicted) was negligent homicide, not murder.

jpk likes this.
  21. jpk

jpk

As I stated in the quote you poo pooed the NEW verdict allowing the criminal illegal alien to walk was a function of lawyering up on the side of the shitbag criminal illegal alien....SOMEONE paid for a top quality lawyer for this shitbag which is how he got off

García Zárate the killer is a SEVEN TIME CONVICTED FELON......and not for trivial crimes

He's been DEPORTED FROM THE US 5 TIMES

He was in the US illegally at the time he shot Kate Stienle

The shit bag admitted in a tv interview that he had shot her but the judge disallowed the interview to be admitted into evidence.

22. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

You know how many people I've seen in TV interviews claiming that they saw Elvis, or Bigfoot? You really think what someone says on TV should be evidence in a court of law?

Picton likes this.
  23. jpk

jpk

You arent actually making a comparison between an alleged bigfoot/elvis sighting an an a repeat felon admitting on recording to committing the crime are you?

24. 67ray

67ray NES Member

Overcharged? WTF does that mean? One of those words that smacks of opinion/fallacy

25. jpk

jpk

Not really......

He violated every rule of common sense even if you fail to take into consideration basic rules of shooting.....he shot in a public area and failed to consider what was behind what he was shooting at even if we accept that he didnt mean to shoot the gun which is bullschtein

The gun was a SIG P239....typical heavy trigger SIG.....they dont accidentally go off

Furthermore the so called ricochet was off the pavement which means he was pointing the gun in her direction less than 100 feet from her.......

Its negligent homicide at a bare minimum

26. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

US attorney says government will seek federal charges against Kate Steinle's killer

Following the overturned state firearm conviction of illegal immigrant Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate, U.S. Attorney David Anderson said Wednesday the federal government plans to proceed with federal gun charges in the case of Kate Steinle, during an interview on "Fox & Friends."

Zarate, who was previously deported five times, was charged by the state of California with the murder of Steinle in 2015 and was acquitted on charges of first-degree murder, second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, and assault with a semi-automatic weapon. He was, however, convicted of felony possession of a firearm, and has maintained the stolen gun he used had discharged in his hands accidentally.

That gun conviction was overturned by a California state appeals court last week, causing the federal government to exercise its option to seek a federal indictment.

"The case is set for trial in our federal courthouse in San Francisco in January of 2020," Anderson told Fox News on Wednesday. "The case is now proceeding through the pretrial proceedings towards that trial date."

"In the federal court we've brought this case on the basis of a statute passed by Congress many years ago that prohibits certain categories of people from possessing any firearms," he added. "If you’re someone who has no lawful status in the United States -- if you’re here without any right to be here, you cannot possess a firearm."

US attorney says government will seek federal charges against Kate Steinle's killer

27. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

I love the US legal system where you can be charged for the same thing in different jurisdictions.

28. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

me too! we'll get the prick this time around!