Junior gun clubs

My 14 y/o daughter likes to shoot, and is pretty decent. We go to the range, I give her a Marlin 795 and a brick of 22 and 15 minutes later I hear "Dad, can we go cold, the middle of my target's gone." She's almost as good with my plain-jane Ruger MkII.

I want to give her a try at REALLY learning to shoot, maybe compete. We live in Chelmsford, I'm a member at Westford Sportsmen's, but we have no Junior shooting club. Where's the nearest one to me?

Thanks!

Actually we do have a junior club. Now as to how often they do activities I am not sure. I know they have down 22 shooting, archery, trap etc.

You should be able to e-mail the junior club contact and ask for more specific information than I stated. Or you can ask about what you are looking for at the next meeting.

Leominster has a jr trap club. Radtekk maybe see if the wsc would start one if there's a lot of interest

My 14 y/o daughter likes to shoot, and is pretty decent. We go to the range, I give her a Marlin 795 and a brick of 22 and 15 minutes later I hear "Dad, can we go cold, the middle of my target's gone." She's almost as good with my plain-jane Ruger MkII.

I want to give her a try at REALLY learning to shoot, maybe compete. We live in Chelmsford, I'm a member at Westford Sportsmen's, but we have no Junior shooting club. Where's the nearest one to me?

Thanks!

Sent you PM on Danvers F&G with info.

Danvers has a great youth shotgun program

Yes, they do as well as a smallbore program. One of our shooters won a scholarship to a college that has an NCCA shooting team. From there, she went on to compete as a shooter in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sidney, Australia.

Actually we do have a junior club. Now as to how often they do activities I am not sure. I know they have down 22 shooting, archery, trap etc.

You should be able to e-mail the junior club contact and ask for more specific information than I stated. Or you can ask about what you are looking for at the next meeting.
The junior club at WSC is, I think, more targeted to introducing kids to the various activities, rather than focusing on and developing skills in one particular discipline.

If you're talking about bullseye style shooting, Mass Rifle Association in Woburn has a Junior Pistol and Rifle program.
I know one person (who is also a WSC member) who got his kids involved in the pistol progam and they have done very well in it.

While not as formal as the above, she could probably also shoot with the bullseye pistol team at WSC.

She could also shoot Steel Challenge matches at Harvard Sportsmens Club.

Reading rifle ?

Go to cmp club search it's not the easiest web,sight to navigate but clubs with active Jr programs will be listed.

The junior club at WSC is, I think, more targeted to introducing kids to the various activities, rather than focusing on and developing skills in one particular discipline.

If you're talking about bullseye style shooting, Mass Rifle Association in Woburn has a Junior Pistol and Rifle program.
I know one person (who is also a WSC member) who got his kids involved in the pistol progam and they have done very well in it.

While not as formal as the above, she could probably also shoot with the bullseye pistol team at WSC.

She could also shoot Steel Challenge matches at Harvard Sportsmens Club.

Jefftk,

That maybe true based on the description but this is a opportunity to try and move/add the type of activity the OP is looking to our club so he and his daughter do not have to go somewhere else. Plus others may have youths that are interested.

Westford is part of the Greater Lowell Trap League as well as Nashoba Valley Pistol and they both allow junior shooters to shoot. A youngster was on the Lowell trap team out of N Chelmsford and he was killing them with a turkey gun. Not sure how the pistol works but I did shoot with youngsters

Harvard has a youth program for the under 18 group. They also have a junior membership.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Woburn Sportsmen has an active junior program.

Harvard has a youth program for the under 18 group. They also have a junior membership.
Harvard has juniors who compete, its pretty close to you just down 495.

This. HSC which is just down 495 from Westford has an excellent junior program. They shoot air and rimfire rifle, and practice every week September through April. The cost is something like $25 or $30 for the season, which includes use of the club's rifles and ammo. There is an age limit, but I do not recall what it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom