Junior FID/Restricted FID for Minor

My stepdaughter is turning fifteen in about a month and was looking to get her either a Junior FID card or Restricted FID card. I am a little confused on the laws. For the Junior FID it states that with parental consent a Junior FID will be issued for 15-18 year olds. The restricted FID has no language for minors.
The main reason my wife and I want her to have this is so that if she is going out and we feel she is mature enough, and we are worried for her safety. We can have her bring pepper spray with her and have her be legally carrying it. With the restricted FID she will be required to take a safety course.

So I guess my two questions are. Can a restricted FID be issued to minors? And if not, will she be legal carrying pepper spray with a Junior FID? If this is the case where is a good course for her to take? I am a MRA member and took my safety course there, but the handgun course wouldn't be for her. Any suggestions or thoughts?

A real FID Card will require a safety course, cost $100 and will cost $100 to renew every 6 years.

A Restricted FID card will NOT require a safety course, cost $25 and will cost nothing to renew.

Thank you for your response.. That I understand. My question was that there is nothing in the MGL's for minors with a restriced FID. It states that you must be 18 years old. Yet with a Junior FID, with parental consent, it is a shall issue. Basically, I wanted to know if I could get her a restriced. Or if I had to go with the Junior for her to legally posess pepper spray. I apologize if I wasn't clear at first.

There is no "junior FID", an FID is an FID. They just issue to 15-17 yos w/parental consent. At 18 she could then automatically purchase low-cap long guns and ammo for same as well as OC.

The restricted FID is cheaper but would prohibit her from possessing ammo or any long guns.

Scriv is correct. You need to make the judgment call here. Since there are firearms in the house (yours), learning gun safety IMNSHO would be a good thing. Having her take the Home Firearm Safety course might be a useful thing and if you do so at Mass Firearms School (Framingham), you could go with her at no additional cost to sit in on the class. No live ammo shooting takes place, but everyone gets the opportunity to use the Simulator if they wish.

If she were my Daughter, I'd have her take a class and get a real FID card. In six years she will be 21 and can get her LTC. In a reasonable town, said training certificate would be adequate for her to get her LTC at that point with no additional training required.

Why not just get her the non-restricted one? Are you afraid that she will want a M82 for her 18th birthday?

i got my fid when i was 15 it worked out ok at least she will be able to carry spray.
you are much better off just haveing her take the handgun class i took hunters ed to get my fid and now i have to take a handgun class to apply for my ltc.

Any MA gunowner with a kid about to approach driver's license age should tell the kid "If you ever want to borrow my car, you need to get an FID, because there's probably some ammo in the trunk and I'm not going to sanitize it every time you want to borrow it". If you're feeling exceptionally generous, you can offer to pay the class or application fee.

If you kid get the FID, you win. If the kid decides not to, you win even bigger :) :)

i got my fid when i was 15 it worked out ok at least she will be able to carry spray.
you are much better off just haveing her take the handgun class i took hunters ed to get my fid and now i have to take a handgun class to apply for my ltc.

NOT according to MGLs. However, some chiefs impose all sorts of BS "requirements" beyond MGL, just because they "can" under "suitability" and "chief's discretion" and MA courts will back them up 99% of the time.

Any MA gunowner with a kid about to approach driver's license age should tell the kid "If you ever want to borrow my car, you need to get an FID, because there's probably some ammo in the trunk and I'm not going to sanitize it every time you want to borrow it". If you're feeling exceptionally generous, you can offer to pay the class or application fee.

If you kid get the FID, you win. If the kid decides not to, you win even bigger :) :)

The Voice of Experience.

Heed it.

Thank You for all the responses... I think I am going to just have her take the Handgun Class. At fifteen will they allow her to take the handgun class at MRA. I'm only asking about MRA because I'm a member there and it would be more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom