JUNE-12-09 Quabbin pics...Good Day!

release was OK...

What is the one in the last picture? I have never seen one with a red stripe on it. Inquiring minds want to know.

We all know what that red stripe is.. it's blood.

Like today fish often feed very agressive if they sense a storm is approaching...that's why I went fishing today. Some smallies this morning inhaled the bait so deep I had to cut the line leaving the hook in them which gives them their best chance of survival. The smallie in the picture swam off with no signs of permanant damage.

I left the hook in five fish today. One bellied-up and did not survive. It will be eagle bait.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to address the blood. I practice catch and release.

nature...

I always release them but I bum out when they go belly up. I will remember the eagle bait thing. By the way, those are some woppers, I am envious.
Joe

I have actually seen eagles at the Quabbin scoop up floating fish. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

Thanks for your post.

bait

What were you using for bait? Crank baits, soft plastics?

-DM-

You will find what I generally use at the end of my 6-6-09 post. I do not use lures such as crankbaits or other hard plastic lures. The bass yesterday were feeding on minnows which they oftem do under those weather conditions. How do I know? I found this tremedous clue out very early-on in the day because they were spitting them out as we reel-ed them in. I adjust my bait selelction as to what I think they were feeding.

Romeo when you get sick of catching them on Plastics this time of year (immediate post spawn) I alway slay then on silver zara puppies. Nothing is better than a 3+ smallie streaking from 15 feet away to smash topwater!!!

surface action..

Romeo when you get sick of catching them on Plastics this time of year (immediate post spawn) I alway slay then on silver zara puppies. Nothing is better than a 3+ smallie streaking from 15 feet away to smash topwater!!!

yep...spooks work great at the Quabbin. I have in the past fished with the ones below. (I have had great luck with "magnum" spooks at the Quabbin for the first hour or so). Being a fly fisherman of long ago, surface action is awesome...just like dry fly fishin'!

PICT0104.jpg
[/IMG]

The poppers below are also great producers at the Quabbin.

PICT0105.jpg
[/IMG]

(Never said I haven't used hard baits...have boxes of them)

Thanks for your post. Good luck fishing always

Back
Top Bottom