• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Judge upholds bump stock ban.

On May 8, 2017, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Friedrich to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, to a seat vacated by Reggie Walton who assumed senior status on December 31, 2015. She was formally nominated on June 7, 2017. On July 25, 2017, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on her nomination. Her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote on September 14, 2017. On November 16, 2017, the U.S. Senate voted 93–4 to invoke cloture on Friedrich's nomination. On November 27, the Senate voted 97–3 to confirm her to the District Court. She received her judicial commission on December 1, 2017.

If it’s a liberal pet project overreach - we are good. If it’s a constitutional topic - it has to make its way to the SCOTUS.

DACA was my biggest thing, 0bama was allowed to start something blantantly unconstitutional - changes enacted law. Trump was not allowed to end it.

Which is why I have no use for any of them until they can at least give the appearance of impartiality.

Just 23 days left for the bump stock owners to melt/shred/crush the millions(?) of bump stocks out there, or to drop them off at their local ATF office (they recommend making an appointment first).

What a joke.

Well, at least one person won't be handing in his bump stocks:
10th Circuit Exempts Utah Man From Bump-Stock Ban

“Today the Court of Appeals told the ATF that it could not rush through the bump stock ban without meaningful judicial review. The Court understands the stakes and is refusing to let an innocent owner be declared a felon, as scheduled,” said Caleb Kruckenberg, litigation counsel for the New Civil Liberties Alliance, a nonprofit civil rights organization that is representing Aposhian in his case.

This is only a temporary stay.

Just 23 days left for the bump stock owners to melt/shred/crush the millions(?) of bump stocks out there, or to drop them off at their local ATF office (they recommend making an appointment first).

What a joke.

Thread bump = Now its 3 days away

(you see what I did there?)

Maybe people will start leaving bump stocks just laying around in very public, mainstream places. How many times will the public shelter in place over harmless pieces of plastic?

SCOTUS will throw the ban out

Nope.

ETA: I misread it and fell for the title. Hopefully SCOTUS will take the case and toss it. We will see.

U.S. Supreme Court refuses to block Trump's gun 'bump stock' ban

WASHINGTON, March 28 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a request by gun rights activists to put on hold the Trump administration's ban on "bump stock" attachments that allow semi-automatic weapons to be fired rapidly, a rare recent instance of gun control at the federal level.

The court in a brief order refused to grant a temporary stay sought by plaintiffs including the group Gun Owners of America in a lawsuit filed in Michigan challenging the ban while litigation continues.

Read more:

U.S. Supreme Court refuses to block Trump's gun 'bump stock' ban

Last edited:
So this is just the stay that was rejected, which means the actual suit is still moving forward, if I’m not mistaken...
Which means that they are indeed banned unless the outcome of the trial is in our favor, which I highly doubt since they stay was rejected.

Another thing, if Bump-Stock = Machine Gun, same penalties as an actual machine gun. Then why not go for it - the worry of penalties kind of goes away at that point.

So this is just the stay that was rejected, which means the actual suit is still moving forward, if I’m not mistaken...

All well and good except without the stay they are illegal, now and possession carries the same penalty as if you made a machinegun in your basement. You can hold onto it and wait it out, and if anything happens in between now and then you go to federal prison. Or you get rid of it in some way and have to buy or make a new one when declared to be legal. Either way it screws people over when the wording of the law is clear and does not cover these things. That leaves me in the uncomfortable position of believing that SCOTUS will either refuse to take it and have the other courts do whatever for a decade or more or outright take it and declare that the government can do whatever the hell they want. Either way is bad for us.

Which means that they are indeed banned unless the outcome of the trial is in our favor, which I highly doubt since they stay was rejected.

It wouldn't matter if the outcome was in favor of owners because they had to be destroyed or turned in by now, so possession is still a felony.

Judges,
Right after attorneys and just before reporters...
Judges, attorneys and politicians are all really one and the same. They’re cut from the same cloth, attend the same Ivy League universities, all have law degrees.

It takes a very exceptional person (Clarance Thomas) to break out of that fraternity.

All this did was a) make Black Market bump stocks really expensive and b) make the next nutjob who gives Zero f***s about laws want to carry out his evil with a bump stock.

SCotUS didn't decline to eventually take the case. They declined to provide an injunction of enforcement while litigation continues in the lower court. Supposedly f you are a member of the Firearms Policy Foundation, you can keep your bump stocks as their case progresses through the courts. You can join here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom