• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Judge halts immigration arrests at Massachusetts courts

mikeyp

NES Member
Judge halts immigration arrests at Massachusetts courts

BOSTON - A judge has barred federal authorities from arresting people at Massachusetts courthouses for civil immigration violations while a lawsuit challenging the practice plays out.

U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani issued the decision Thursday in the lawsuit brought against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in April by public defenders and two Massachusetts prosecutors.

The lawsuit alleges the practice is scaring victims and defendants away from court and making it harder for prosecutors to hold people accountable.

The judge's ruling blocks ICE from arresting people as they are arriving at, leaving or attending a court hearing.

It doesn't affect the agency's ability to arrest people on civil violations when they're already in custody or detain people on criminal matters.

An ICE spokesman said the agency is reviewing the decision and "respects the ruling of the court."

“While ICE respects that the court has issued its ruling, we are currently reviewing the court’s decision. At this time, we have no direct comment on the matter.”

Boston 25 News reached out to Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins for a comment:

"I’m thrilled with today’s ruling. As my staff and I closely review the decision, we look forward to continuing our vital work in courthouses across Suffolk County that will be positively impacted by today’s ruling. I join DA Ryan, CPCS, and the Chelsea Collaborative in celebrating this moment, and look forward to addressing the media in the coming days to discuss what this important ruling means for the communities we serve."

Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan told Boston 25 News:

"Today our federal court has recognized the irreparable harm being caused by ICE’s disruptive policy of using our courthouses to conduct civil arrests. I am very pleased by today’s decision and I again want to thank our partners, District Attorney Rollins, CPCS and the Chelsea Collaborative. In Massachusetts, we are today, as we always have been, leaders in protecting the most vulnerable members of our community. This decision reaffirms that every person in our Commonwealth should be able to seek justice in our courts without fear or hesitation. The granting of this injunction is a critical step in the right direction for our Commonwealth and it should be a model for our nation."

But they can still indite judges and court officers that let them loose through the back door, right?

Pressley, Talwani, Abrams, Rollins, AOC, Omar, Talib, etc.....they’re all cut from the same cloth. They hate America and her laws but will gladly screw you with a dagger disguised as a smile minced with “equality, justice and equity” double-speak.

I don't understand why they don't simply go to a judge and get an arrest warrant. Entering the United States without inspection is a crime. If they get a warrant, Massachusetts WILL honor it. The problem is that ICE "detainers" are not signed by a judge or magistrate. They're signed by an ICE agent. That's like the police issuing their own warrants.

I don't understand why they don't simply go to a judge and get an arrest warrant. Entering the United States without inspection is a crime. If they get a warrant, Massachusetts WILL honor it. The problem is that ICE "detainers" are not signed by a judge or magistrate. They're signed by an ICE agent. That's like the police issuing their own warrants.

I know jack shit about immigration laws, but maybe because a detainer doesn't require a level of probability comparable to probable cause?

“The lawsuit alleges the practice is scaring victims and defendants away from court and making it harder for prosecutors to hold people accountable.”

So they want to make it easier to hold them accountable by not holding them accountable.

03-C509-B8-5541-4898-94-C5-7809-B21-E8874.jpg

I know jack shit about immigration laws, but maybe because a detainer doesn't require a level of probability comparable to probable cause?
A detainer is a make-believe warrant. It's the Federal equivalent of a BOLO, but ICE wants the states to treat them like warrants.

ICE agents should just hang out in the parking lots of whatever donut shop or packie that sells scratch tickets is nearest the courthouse. Shooting fish in a barrel.

i think this judge who made this ruling has to realize that these people are not at the courthouse just visiting; they are there because they are answering for breaking the law!!
also, being in this country illegally is also breaking the law.

Well, the judges ruling specifically states that ICE cannot arrest them while arriving, attending or leaving the courthouse.

Sooo, grab yourself a coffee, wait outside and follow them home, prolly get 15 of them in the apt for the price of one. Wash, rinse repeat.

Modern solutions to modern problems.

ICE won't do this because they are law abiding, but they could just ignore the ruling and do business as usual. Then it would be back in the hands of the prosecutor to file what a contempt of court?

The legal term aiding and abetting refers to a person’s action to help, support, or approve of someone else’s illegal act. Aiding and abetting is a crime in itself, held against those who would somehow assist a criminal – short of physically contributing to the illegal act. In many jurisdictions, aiding and abetting is the same as an “accessory” to the crime. To explore this concept, consider the following aiding and abetting definition.

Definition of Aiding and Abetting
Noun
  1. The act of helping, encouraging, or supporting someone in the commission of a crime.
Verb
  1. To actively encourage, to assist, or to support the commission of a criminal act.
Aiding and Abetting - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes

What am I, in my layman's mind, missing here? Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

“The lawsuit alleges the practice is scaring victims and defendants away from court and making it harder for prosecutors to hold people accountable.”

I have an idea deport the victim and the defendant they both broke immigration laws and the penalty is deportation. Both the “victim” and defendant should be held accountable. Where is justice for me.

I'm sure the judge will be safe and comfortable living in their gated community. How about term limits on judges, and like some states, they should be voted in and out? No more appts!

Seems simple - don't pick them up in court. Pick them up as soon as they step off of courthouse property. Boom, problem solved. No need to go through security. Time spent sitting in the car instead of standing in a court room.

Perhaps the judge will find some room in her home for these folks, feed them, and clean up after them. Another way to keep voters for the dems comming in.

Back
Top Bottom