• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Joshua Buffum, of Springfield, arrested after police say he built AR-15s and 3D printed ghost guns from his home

I'm intrigued by "a 3D printer, other machines used to build guns,"
The problem today is, if you are found to have guns the gov doesn't want you to have and also have a 3D printer, now it is used to sensationalize the news and make the average idiot think "3D printer = bad".

Of course, that will not stand in court, good luck proving something was printed using the machine (assuming he really didn't use it to print gun parts).

Still, even if used to print gun parts, parts are not a gun, only a finished receiver is. Most of the stuff mentioned in the news will fall apart in court.

Any of the NES lawyers could probably shit down all that junk in 30 seconds.

The real issue is, they are using something legal to assume someone is doing something illegal.

So, what happens next time you order a P80? Does the PoPo show up and shoot your dog?

I'm intrigued by "a 3D printer, other machines used to build guns,"
I'm guessing either a drill press or a benchtop mill to finish 80% receivers.

There's more to this arrest than what's being told. To my understanding there's no law prohibiting a lawfull person from manufacturing a personal firearm within the home. It just can't be used outside the home ? Or do I have this wrong ?

There's more to this arrest than what's being told. To my understanding there's no law prohibiting a lawfull person from manufacturing a personal firearm within the home. It just can't be used outside the home ? Or do I have this wrong ?
Possession of firearms and ammunition without a license is against the law in MA.

In MA, you can make one and you can use it outside of the home, providing you notify the state within 7 days of it being substantially complete. This assumes that you have a firearms license.

There is more to this I am sure. The Springfield Police have been arresting gang members and even kids with with so called ghost guns in the last few months.
I am sure these guns were not manufactured by the knuckle heads that were caught with them. They were coming from somewhere. They most likely found out about this guy by squeezing the info out at least one of the arrested. This guy was most likely the source of these street guns and was manufacturing and selling.

If licensed, you can do anything with a homemade firearm in MA that you can do with a purchased one. Like purchased guns, you need to license to possess even in the home. Like the rest of the US, you can’t manufacture guns for the purpose of selling them.

In MA, you can make one and you can use it outside of the home, providing you notify the state within 7 days of it being substantially complete. This assumes that you have a firearms license.
A little more definite than “substantially complete”, but the rule is “able to fire a shot or bullet”. This is why a 100% / serialized / FFL transferred bare AR lower isn’t a firearm in MA. On its own without any fire control parts and not mated to any upper, it can’t dispel a projectile.

Not at all. But they decided a dude doing exactly that without a LTC in MA must be "up to no good." (Apparently many times)

There's a thread on here somewhere. I don't care enough to find it
It must be this case:

Cambridge police find cache of weapons, illegal gun shop in man’s home; suspect arrested​

By John R. Ellement Globe Staff,October 24, 2018, 11:19 a.m.
A Cambridge man allegedly spent thousands of dollars to order parts of guns from dealers across the country and then allegedly turned his residence into an illegal gun shop where he fashioned the parts into whole, functioning firearms, including three assault rifles, authorities said.
In a statement, Cambridge police said they searched the Seven Pines Avenue home of Mathew Devine and a second residence at Gold Star Avenue and recovered 25 illegal firearms, the three assault rifles, parts for more guns, and milling machines allegedly used to build the weapons.
Devine, 39, did not have a license to carry firearms and is scheduled to be arraigned in Cambridge District Court Wednesday on multiple charges including 26 counts of illegal possession of firearms and three counts of illegal possession of assault rifles, police said in the statement.

Authorities launched an investigation into Devine’s alleged activities after the US Postal Service noticed that it delivered 75 packages — with items worth about $26,000 — that had been sent to him from gun part and firearm manufacturers, police said in the statement.

“The gun parts were purchased online, distributed through the mail and assembled into untraceable complete firearms,’’ according to the police statement. One of the packages allegedly contained a complete AR-15 rifle — the civilian version of the military’s M-16 — that had to be assembled, police said.
Police obtained search warrants for Devine’s home and the second address where a family member lives on Gold Star Avenue and then searched both places. In all, police said they seized 28 firearms, parts for “dozens” of additional firearms, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, five bulletproof vests, and milling machines.

The investigation, which also included the Middlesex district attorney’s office and the New England Electronic Crimes Task Force, is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Cambridge police at 617-349-3000.
A search warrant because someone gets a lot of mail. Imagine that.

Last edited:
It must be this case:

A search warrant because someone gets a lot of mail. Imagine that.
That's like the one! In fact, here's our thread on it:

That's like the one! In fact, here's our thread on it:

That case kind of makes sense. He was also charged with intent to distribute 40 or more grams of heroin…sounds like he’s not just a normal guy getting in hot water…

A little more definite than “substantially complete”, but the rule is “able to fire a shot or bullet”.
The problem is, as homemade firearms really aren't addressed in MA law (and let's not give them ideas), that's more a rule of thumb based on the definition of a firearm in MGL c140 s121 than an outright rule. You're required to eFA-10 it when you "receive or obtain" a firearm. The cut line is therefore when the build becomes a "firearm". Yes, if it can discharge a shot it meets s121 and qualifies. However, it would likely also qualify if you had built the frame and the slide separately but never placed the slide on the frame (and thus never been able to discharge a shot). Sure, it's hair splitting, but "substantially complete" would seem to be a better description of the point.

The problem is, as homemade firearms really aren't addressed in MA law (and let's not give them ideas), that's more a rule of thumb based on the definition of a firearm in MGL c140 s121 than an outright rule. You're required to eFA-10 it when you "receive or obtain" a firearm. The cut line is therefore when the build becomes a "firearm". Yes, if it can discharge a shot it meets s121 and qualifies. However, it would likely also qualify if you had built the frame and the slide separately but never placed the slide on the frame (and thus never been able to discharge a shot). Sure, it's hair splitting, but "substantially complete" would seem to be a better description of the point.
You're talking about "constructive possession", which is a Thing;
and which can be argued about in court using Legal Things.

Back
Top Bottom