Joshua Buffum, of Springfield, arrested after police say he built AR-15s and 3D printed ghost guns from his home

Reptile

NES Member
A Springfield resident is accused of building AR-15 rifles and 3D printing the components of untraceable ghost guns from his home, police said as the man faces a range of firearm charges following his arrest Tuesday.

When police searched the home of 38-year-old Joshua Buffum, they said they found a makeshift workstation and 3D printer alongside homemade rifles and handguns, none of which had serial numbers.

Facing 16 firearm charges, Buffum appeared Wednesday in Springfield District Court. His bail was set at $2,500, the Hampden District Attorney’s Office said.

“Ghost guns, or self-manufactured firearms that are fully functional and untraceable, are gaining prominence with violent criminals and gun traffickers,” District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said in a statement. “This arrest highlights the significant public safety threat these weapons create, when someone can be manufacturing high capacity military-style assault rifles from their living room right in the middle of Springfield.”

Buffum told police that he builds the weapons as a hobby, but does not sell them, according to court filings.

In recent weeks, police said they learned that Buffum was building AR-15s from his Hancock Street home.

AR-15-style rifle often rises to national discussion from their use in mass shootings, including the massacre Tuesday at a Texas elementary school.

Police executed a search warrant at Buffum’s home Tuesday afternoon, finding the workstation equipped with a 3D printer, other machines used to build guns, one AR-15 rifle, three other AR-15s under construction, two handguns, a dozen extended magazines and other ammunition, they said.

Officers also said Buffum was in the process of converting the handguns into fully automatic weapons using parts created on the printer.

The guns, built without serial numbers, were all untraceable to police, the district attorney said.

2LIBKGGDANDSXE7CKHMFQZ6XCU.jpg

Facing 16 firearms charges? what are they?

Only 2500.00 bail on 16 firearms charges?

This sounds odd...maybe it is just me. I would think a much higher bail would be called for if this person was so dangerous. I thought there was a 1 year mandatory sentence if you have a gun and no permit.

so, is the 'police said they learned that Buffum was building AR-15s' the actual felony charge now that they started to enforce?
maura started enforcing her edict? that would be rather historical event, would it not?

is there any official record of what that individual was charged with?

Another article said the charges included 1. Firearm possession without a license 3 counts, 2. Possession of large capacity magazines 12 counts, and 3. Possession of ammunition without a license 1 count.

So dude had no LTC and had some magazines over 10 rounds, that’s all.

Maybe he thought he was in Springfield VT or Springfield OH.

Last edited:
Another article said the charges included 1. Firearm possession without a license 3 counts, 2. Possession of large capacity magazines 12 counts, and 3. Possession of ammunition without a license 1 count.

So dude had no LTC and had some new magazines over 10 rounds, that’s all.
Article other thread had says he was 3d printing giggle switches. That would be enough.

I was not aware it can be printed, but, apparently it is possible

So dude had no LTC and had some magazines over 10 rounds, that’s all.

Maybe he thought he was in Springfield VT or Springfield OH.

In the picture I see 2 firearms according to Massachusetts. No LTC, that’s enough plus the MAGA.

He probably showed friends or posted things on social media like a moron.

The bigger question is how they found out. Yeah because no one is looking at your phone data, texts and email. Yep ok
if he was indeed producing glocks with giggle switches for the street gangs - i guess he was known.
i was distracted by the ARs angle in the original article, it was confusing.

This sounds odd...maybe it is just me. I would think a much higher bail would be called for if this person was so dangerous. I thought there was a 1 year mandatory sentence if you have a gun and no permit.
Deoends on if you actually own shit versus renting while on the .gov tit and having a prior rap sheet.

In recent weeks, police said they learned that Buffum was building AR-15s from his Hancock Street home.
So who ran their mouth?

The bigger question is how they found out. Yeah because no one is looking at your phone data, texts and email. Yep ok
Habitual mouth-runner?

Maybe but dont you have to be convicted first?

O.riginal article I read said he was "modifying" AR's to full auto which would get him convicted. If he didn't have a LTC then he's an idiot

In the picture I see 2 firearms according to Massachusetts. No LTC, that’s enough plus the MAGA.

He probably showed friends or posted things on social media like a moron.
So who ran their mouth?

Habitual mouth-runner?
Didn't they (allegedly) catch the guy in Cambridge because he was ordering P80 kits through USPS? Similar operation?

Back
Top Bottom