Jon boats

I'm thinking of picking up a Jon boat for duck season.
Are these as practical as they look? Do I need a trolling motor or is it easy to paddle like a canoe? What size motor?
tell me your experiences.

If you want to spend the $ they have some models outfitted specifically for duck hunting.

There's also the option of a cheap car topper fishing boat. Coleman used to make a boat called the Crawdad. They're light as hell in stock configuration, weight capacity is around 375lbs, and they only draw about 3 inches of water.

I'm not a big fan of the Crawdads. They are heavier than the same size johnboat and not as stable. They are much quieter though.

I prefer my canoe over a johnboat. It is 16', but kevlar so it is light and it is stable. A lot easier to maneuver than a johnboat, but gets pushed around more in the wind.

This year I hope to get out in some of the local creeks in my kayak. 10', stable and lower profile.

They have less weight capacity than most canoes.

This.

Unless you get a high end one, I think you will be disappointed. Load all your gear plus a couple hunters and maybe a dog and you are left with little to no freeboard. ANY rough water at all will come over the gunwales. Not good during duck season with cold air and water temps.

Don't bother unless you get a large 17+ ft with trailer and gas motor. .
Saw a decent duck boat on Craig's recently fyi

Thanks. I'll stick with a canoe I guess. Kinda like those beavertail boats as well but they are a little rich for my blood.
anybody have one of those?

I have used a 13 foot canoe for 40+ years for hunting and trapping. I prefer the light weight, stowage, stability and maneuverability of a canoe over a johnboat or a kayak. If I am duck hunting with a friend I have a 15 foot Rivers and Gilman canoe (anybody remember them?) that we use. I also have a 12 foot Vee hull boat with an outboard motor if I'm in need of it. Given the choice, I'll take the canoe if I'm alone.

I use a 15ft deep v that I bought for a good price and use it for everything from bowfishing to bass fishing and hunting. Atleast this boat Ive had in about 6inches of water and still use the trolling motor. I would really like a 18ft airboat.

Back
Top Bottom