• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Joint Custody

Can one firearm be registered to two people, i.e husband and wife? I'm not married at the moment but have a girlfriend that is going through the process in Westford MA to get her LTC-A. She wants to get a revolver and I already know that I'm going to want to shoot it a lot. Can I take her firearm to the range without her?

I think I know the answers to the above questions, but want to double check.

you can lend IN STATE any weapon you legally own to anyone who is legally allowed to have it.

There are other provisions for unlicensed people under direct supervision etc etc etc.

You can not loan across a state line unless it is for "sporting purposes"

If the gun is in your name, and you split up and she ends up with it, a FA-10 or FFL transaction must happen for her to legally retain it and claim it as hers. There is a legal issue with people claiming ownership of a weapon not recorded as being theirs IIRC

Last edited:
you can lend IN STATE any weapon you legally own to anyone who is legally allowed to have it.
True, but if you live in NY State, you will find that a person who does not have the gun listed by make and serial number on their NY permit cannot legally have it, except under direct supervision, with LEO status, or pursuant to the competition exemption for non-residents in state for a match.

Confusion ensues when persons familiar with the NY system attempt to apply the "registered to" concept of firearms ownership in states where it does not apply, such as MA. We have reporting of sales and transfers, but do not have "registration" in the sense of "the gun must be registered to you in order for you to legally possess it".

I use hubby's stuff all the time.. If I didn't, I would only have 2, but sharing, I have like 10..lol

Just make sure you trust her enough - she pops someone with it the serial # is going to come back to you [wink]

Otherwise, A-OK!

1) Firearms are not registered in Massachusetts. Some transfers of title (ownership) are recorded.

2) An FA-10 should properly reflect the state of title to the firearm. If it is owned in fact by X, it should not be recorded on FA-10 as owned by anyone else.

3) In general, concurrent ownership of personalty (i.e., non-real estate) should be avoided. Joint tenancies and tenancies by the entireties are not available for personalty, which means that you are limited to a tenancy in common. The competing rights of tenants in common to personalty are obscure and complicated, and the arrangement (if effectively done in the first place) can be a mess to undo when the co-owners cease to be pals.

Back
Top Bottom