Joint Base Cape Cod range

Don't get me wrong-I thing the Cape is a poor place to have a training base, but Devens is even worse.

I've never been to Devens
, but even their range control's own page says it's a shitty training area. Also, a quick google map search shows nothing close to a decent MG range like the one proposed. Devens has one four lane?!!!? MG range that is just a c***hair over 800 meters and it doesn't have the required 10 meter range to go with it.

You are right that Devens doesn’t have as good MG capability as is being proposed on the Cape.

But Devens ranges are actually decent. It’s no Fort Benning, and yes the MG capabilities aren’t the best, but they’ll get the job done for the size of the base it is and its funding.

Multiple standard 25 meter ranges, 300 meter pop up targets, 600 meter KD, mortar ranges, grenade launcher range, shoot house, drop zone, and I’m sure there’s a few I’m forgetting about. They pack a lot onto the small post.

Last edited:
You are right that Devens doesn’t have as good MG capability as is being proposed on the Cape.

But Devens ranges are actually decent. It’s no Fort Benning, and yes the MG capabilities aren’t the best, but they’re get the job done for the size of the base it is and it’s funding.

Multiple standard 25 meter ranges, 300 meter pop up targets, 600 meter KD, mortar ranges, grenade launcher range, shoot house, drop zone, and I’m sure there’s a few I’m forgetting about. They pack a lot onto the small post.
Don't forget the gas chamber. 🤢

Also the vehicle recovery range....the mud pit that you intentionally drive a 5 Ton into up to thr roof in slop......then the recovery team gets to use the m88 or wrecker to get it out. 😂 mechanics love that one. 😂

f***ing idiots who ran the MANG in 90's when FT.Devens was closing had the opportunity to take over FT.Devens and ranges but preferred Camp Edwards where we only could fire blanks before 9-10 pm. I used to run Hotel range ay South Post for the 104th for a few years which is a machine gun range. M249/M60/M240B. 10M range for zero was at Charley range if I remember correctly. Hotel range was best in area, would have to go to FT.Drum or FT.Dix for better machine gun range. All Infantry units in area qualed there.

f***ing idiots who ran the MANG in 90's when FT.Devens was closing had the opportunity to take over FT.Devens and ranges but preferred Camp Edwards where we only could fire blanks before 9-10 pm. I used to run Hotel range ay South Post for the 104th for a few years which is a machine gun range. M249/M60/M240B. 10M range for zero was at Charley range if I remember correctly. Hotel range was best in area, would have to go to FT.Drum or FT.Dix for better machine gun range. All Infantry units in area qualed there.
that would explain the 2" thick IPSC style plates on that range lmao

Ive been to Devens a bunch of times and never seen that range. I wonder why they never let us over there.

Apples and Oranges:

- Devens is a Federal Facility, run by the Army (albeit Reserves)
- JBCC is a Guard (State) facility.

And Never the Twain Shall Meet (except on the battle field)

MHO

PS: In the old days anything went at Otis (as well as thousands of other military faciiities, maybe that's why we don't all speak German). Today if you take a pee in the woods at JBCC you face "charges". People like to have selective memory when presenting their case.

MHO X 2

Ive been to Devens a bunch of times and never seen that range. I wonder why they never let us over there.
Only used for Battalion Qualification weekend. Pop up targets run by computer programs up in Tower. Computer would print out score sheets which were turned over to Battalion for score tally. I was NCOIC for about 5 years for 104/181 after 104 was mothballed. I would arrive at Range Control on Friday evening, sign for range and range box and wait for advance party to pick me up in Humvee, no POV's allowed. WE would drive to range and I would unlock tower, power up computer and start running sequences to make sure everything worked. WE slept on Hotel Friday and Saturday night, gun crews would arrive Saturday morning and it was time to Rock and Roll. I haven't been there since 2007/08 thou. MANG was also offered M16 popup qual range at South Post but declined and Marines took it over, rebuilt it and the told Guard to f*** off when asked to use it. We had to qual on the 25M stationary targets which were a joke.

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges:

- Devens is a Federal Facility, run by the Army (albeit Reserves)
- JBCC is a Guard (State) facility.

And Never the Twain Shall Meet (except on the battle field)

MHO

PS: In the old days anything went at Otis (as well as thousands of other military faciiities, maybe that's why we don't all speak German). Today if you take a pee in the woods at JBCC you face "charges". People like to have selective memory when presenting their case.

MHO X 2
We had the MSP called on us for firing blanks on force on force exercises on a Saturday night by residents. We were actually just inside the fence when we were told to cease fire. What a joke. I contracted Lyme disease there and the MANG wouldn't acknowledge my LOD because I didn't discover tick until after AT. Good thing I had health insurance thru my employer but many other members of my unit didn't and suffered greatly. One of my E5's didn't have insurance so didn't go to DR and months later ended up in Hospital with pic line into heart thru artery pumping antibiotics into him with no insurance. I tried to get him a LOD but MANG denied his claim.

Only used for Battalion Qualification weekend. Pop up targets run by computer programs up in Tower. Computer would print out score sheets which were turned over to Battalion for score tally. I was NCOIC for about 5 years for 104/181 after 104 was mothballed. I would arrive at Range Control on Friday evening, sign for range and range box and wait for advance party to pick me up in Humvee, no POV's allowed. WE would drive to range and I would unlock tower, power up computer and start running sequences to make sure everything worked. WE slept on Hotel Friday and Saturday night, gun crews would arrive Saturday morning and it was time to Rock and Roll. I haven't been there since 2007/08 thou. MANG was also offered M16 popup qual range but declined and Marines took it over, rebuilt it and the told Guard to

Only used for Battalion Qualification weekend. Pop up targets run by computer programs up in Tower. Computer would print out score sheets which were turned over to Battalion for score tally. I was NCOIC for about 5 years for 104/181 after 104 was mothballed. I would arrive at Range Control on Friday evening, sign for range and range box and wait for advance party to pick me up in Humvee, no POV's allowed. WE would drive to range and I would unlock tower, power up computer and start running sequences to make sure everything worked. WE slept on Hotel Friday and Saturday night, gun crews would arrive Saturday morning and it was time to Rock and Roll. I haven't been there since 2007/08 thou. MANG was also offered M16 popup qual range at South Post but declined and Marines took it over, rebuilt it and the told Guard to f*** off when asked to use it. We had to qual on the 25M stationary targets which were a joke.
Ah. Ok. I have the ranges mixed up. I've used yours for qual. I was thinking the 800

And now it's hit the mainstream news. NBC10 is covering it now. Complete with file footage of civilians shooting... ARs.

Of course.

This argument was used at the Barnstable town range. They put groundwater monitoring wells right at the base of each backstop hoping to find some lead in the water. After months of monitoring, nothing. The lead stays on top and doesn't filter down.

I'm surprised they wouldn't just swing up to Devens to do their training vs spending a ton of tax dollars for another range that will sit vacant most of the time.
Devens has Hotel Range for MG qual so as usual the Ma. Guard just wastes money. They could have taken over South Post at Devens when FT. Devens closed in the 90's but chose Camp Edwards where we couldn't fire shit after the 90's. As previously mentioned, I used to run Hotel Range for the 104/181 INF. during qual weekend and the range was very good especially after they upgraded the computer/software.
One weekend in the late 90's we were at Edwards and 11 Charlies were firing their 60mm mortar rounds into the impact area and it started a brush fire so they actually trucked us to the impact area, gave us backpacks with water and a hose and we walked around with AF EOD putting out the grass fires. 🤨 Talk about stupid, I ruined a pair of jungle boots.
We were running around doing a night movement to contact and firing blanks on force on force and we got call on radio to cease fire, the neighbors were complaining. I have no idea the obsession the Ma. Guard has for Camp Edwards except for refugees and illegals.

Back
Top Bottom