Joining Reading Rifle

msdamato

NES Member
I would like to join this season and am wondering how to go about it?

I have so far gotten 3 different applications from different people when I was there for a match over the last 2 years. Can I come to a meeting and take care of it there? Maybe someone could email it to me with some instruction?

I have had a great time shooting the high power matches I have been able to make and would like to do more as well as have a place to introduce my son to everything and would love to join in on teaching some classes if there is a need.

I meant to do it in past years but didn't get around to making it a priority. I am not renewing at my other club in anticipation of joining here so I need to make it a priority this spring.

Either way I'm going to try and make one or two of the offhand matches in April and the 80XTC the 24th to get a start on the season.

Thanks, Matt

I would like to join this season and am wondering how to go about it?

I have so far gotten 3 different applications from different people when I was there for a match over the last 2 years. Can I come to a meeting and take care of it there? Maybe someone could email it to me with some instruction?

I have had a great time shooting the high power matches I have been able to make and would like to do more as well as have a place to introduce my son to everything and would love to join in on teaching some classes if there is a need.

I meant to do it in past years but didn't get around to making it a priority. I am not renewing at my other club in anticipation of joining here so I need to make it a priority this spring.

Either way I'm going to try and make one or two of the offhand matches in April and the 80XTC the 24th to get a start on the season.

Thanks, Matt

We shoot offhand (and eat breakfast, drink coffee, rag on each other, etc.) every Sunday morning in the Winter and that's a pretty good time to swing by because many of the club officers are there. I'm just a regular member, not an officer myself, but I've seen lots of people come by and get apps on Sunday mornings. I don't think the app is available electronically online anywhere (not that I've seen anyway.)

The gate is open all morning, probably starting around 7. I get there at 8 and there's already a small crew of regulars settled in. Shooting starts at 9. First relay is back in the clubhouse around 9:30. After that there should be a few guys to give you some direction. Between 10&11 would be your best bet. Good luck

Can I just ask (not to hijack the thread too much) is Reading like other clubs where you can show up during the week or on a weekend and shoot at any distances you want (100-600 yards)? Or is it more limited to matches etc? Range officer need to be present? Need to reserve a spot beforehand?

And is it paper targets only at 600 yards? I love shooting steel and get bored with paper after a while. Also sometimes get bored only shooting 120 yards at my club in Gloucester.

Thanks in advance.

Can I just ask (not to hijack the thread too much) is Reading like other clubs where you can show up during the week or on a weekend and shoot at any distances you want (100-600 yards)? Or is it more limited to matches etc? Range officer need to be present? Need to reserve a spot beforehand?

And is it paper targets only at 600 yards? I love shooting steel and get bored with paper after a while. Also sometimes get bored only shooting 120 yards at my club in Gloucester.

Thanks in advance.

No range officers, no reservations needed (however scheduled matches do take precedence for obvious reasons.) There are fixed yard lines at 200, 300, 500, and 600 on the big range. You can shoot from any fixed yard line but you can't just set up in between yard lines at random distances. There's another range (walk and paste style) for shorter ranges.

Paper targets only, steel is verboten.

No range officers, no reservations needed (however scheduled matches do take precedence for obvious reasons.) There are fixed yard lines at 200, 300, 500, and 600 on the big range. You can shoot from any fixed yard line but you can't just set up in between yard lines at random distances. There's another range (walk and paste style) for shorter ranges.

Paper targets only, steel is verboten.

Darn!

Well thats good to hear that you can go with no RO present. How many tables/benches do they have for shooting 200-600?

No more than 5 rounds in a handgun magazine while shooting, single load all rifles last time I was there.

Darn!

Well thats good to hear that you can go with no RO present. How many tables/benches do they have for shooting 200-600?

Members are expected to be safe and follow the rules on their own without a baby sitter.

At 200 there's a small building with 3 or 4 benches inside and removable windows. At 300 and 600 there are movable benches.

No more than 5 rounds in a handgun magazine while shooting, single load all rifles last time I was there.

Not correct, or at least not completely correct. Controlled rapid fire is acceptable on the big range. It is single load for rifles on the utility range. I typically only use the utility range for initial sighting in, which I do one round at a time anyway, so it's never been an issue for me personally.

Last edited:
One single round at a time in your rifle? **** that noise....lol

Admittedly Reading isn't for everyone. I like it even with the restrictions on the utility range, but if you don't there are plenty of other clubs in the area to choose from (Woburn, Harvard, MRA, etc...)

Of course everyone is welcome to come shoot matches at Reading whether they're a member or not. (For what it's worth I'm running a few midrange prone matches this year. F class / F-TR shooters are more than welcome to join us. Get those tactical style rifles out of the safe and stretch them out a bit!)

Last edited:
I'm a member and i do find it retarded that I can only load one round at a time in my rifle.
Are we not supposed to train the way may need to use the rifle?
How can I even ak like that?
Being serious, I was practicing with my m1 for an up coming match At that same range. In the match you are allowed to load a full clip (enbloc) of 8 rounds.
Someone saw me shooting and felt that I was putting children at risk or something by loading a full clip and slow firing it .
He came all the way down the firing line and let me know he "wasn't busting my balls" but we only single load here.
Really?
This is why I am a member at 2 ranges.

Can someone please explain why they feel that I should only load one round into my ak or home defense ar?
I'm aware that many of the club members are high power shooters that load and shoot 1 round in their space guns every minute or so. Some of them do not get why anyone would want to practice shooting a round and landing the next follow-up shot within seconds of the first.
It can be done safely, and it can be fun.

Last edited:
I'm a member and i do find it retarded that I can only load one round at a time in my rifle.
Are we not supposed to train the way may need to use the rifle?
How can I even ak like that?
Being serious, I was practicing with my m1 for an up coming match At that same range. In the match you are allowed to load a full clip (enbloc) of 8 rounds.
Someone saw me shooting and felt that I was putting children at risk or something by loading a full clip and slow firing it .
He came all the way down the firing line and let me know he "wasn't busting my balls" but we only single load here.
Really?
This is why I am a member at 2 ranges.

Can someone please explain why they feel that I should only load one round into my ak or home defense ar?
I'm aware that many of the club members are high power shooters that load and shoot 1 round in their space guns every minute or so. Some of them do not get why anyone would want to practice shooting a round and landing the next follow-up shot within seconds of the first.
It can be done safely, and it can be fun.

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that it's more of a noise thing since we're basically in the middle of a residential area. I don't think it's a "children at risk" thing. With that said, I am a high power shooter and I do shoot rapids on the big range regularly. (In fact a bunch of us were there this past Sunday practicing rapids at 200 and 300.) If you want to practice rapids with your M1 that's the place to do it and nobody will bother you.

For what it's worth I'm a member at a few different clubs as well. Reading is great for high power, other clubs are better for other stuff. I've yet to find one club that was awesome at everything. Every club has its plusses and minuses.

There's a membership meeting coming up soon, that would probably be a good place to ask about the rules.

What is the "Utility Range"?

The shorter outdoor range to the left of the big range. That's probably not the official name for it, that's just what I call it.

Reading is great for high power, other clubs are better for other stuff. I've yet to find one club that was awesome at everything. Every club has its plusses and minuses.
+1

For competition HP rifle shooting Reading is hard to beat, the HP crew there is one of the best in the business. Some of the best shooters in the country shoot there and many learned from there. If you want to go from Expert to High Master shoot with the crew there often and soak up the knowledge. If you want to shoot your home defense AR and practice mag changes Reading is not the club for you.

Your right about being over at the long range. That is where I should be. I just find it easier sometimes to setup in one spot to shoot all the toys I brought (pistol/rifle). managing targets on the covered range is a lot easier then driving to the pits.
Many times I will be the only one there so it's nice. It's when I am all setup and doing just fine and someone comes along with their advice that bugs me.

Your right about being over at the long range. That is where I should be. I just find it easier sometimes to setup in one spot to shoot all the toys I brought (pistol/rifle). managing targets on the covered range is a lot easier then driving to the pits.
Many times I will be the only one there so it's nice. It's when I am all setup and doing just fine and someone comes along with their advice that bugs me.

Well, if you're in violation of the range rules (whether or not they're "reasonable"), it's not really "advice".

I've had to mention certain policies to individuals, from time to time.

Single load your rifle? WUT? How does that work exactly?

Does your wife hold your hand while you shoot too?

Well, if you're in violation of the range rules (whether or not they're "reasonable"), it's not really "advice".

I've had to mention certain policies to individuals, from time to time.

But.. But.. I shoot alone with my M1 on Friday at the same range, same lane, it's a violation. On Sat during a loose "match" it's all dandy. That's government math.
I'm good with things how they are. I understand it has to be like this. i just hate having to drive an extra 30 miles to run a full mag.
Que sera, sera

A couple things about the 200/300/600 yd range(aka High Power Range): The targets are in the same pit area for all distances, so you can't shoot 600 yd if someone is already setup at 200, you'd be shooting over their head. It think its first-come first serve wrt the distance. Most of the times I've been there(outside of competition) someone is shooting at 200. Also, the single-load limit doesn't apply to the high-power range. I don't recall if its 10 rounds or something else.

The 100yd range that Jasons is calling the utility range is pistol & rifle up to 175yds. On that one, the targets are all at different distances, and the firing line is all in under one long roof (~25 stations??). If i have it right, you can set targets at 7/14/25/50/100yd for pistol, and 25/50/100/175(berm). That one has the annoying 1-round limit for rifle. 10rds for pistol. (recently changed from 5). There is room to get some of these rules changed, but it will take some work. showing up to meetings, etc. I've met a lot of people that can't understand the 1-round limit.

Might explain why people drive to other ranges. How's that membership?

Pretty healthy actually. I think there are about 1200 members total. It gets a little busy on the weekends sometimes but not to the point that you have to wait for a lane. Pretty good balance I think - busy but not crowded.

Back
Top Bottom