Johnston RI concealed carry permit

Part of the long-term education process is showing police departments that CCWs/LTCs do not lead to crime in the street; shooting over parking spaces; etc. The Johnston PD may become less obfuscatory as time goes on, they grudgingly issue permits, and nothing happens.

We have the same thing in MA - while we aren't "there yet", the concept of "unrestricted" is becoming more and more the norm than the exception, and multiple police departments that used to require a special need or connection to get "unrestricted" are now issuing them routinely. We still have a few towns and cities to go in that game of whack-a-mole.

Detective just called me back, they found my fingerprint card so that's all set. He asked me some questions regarding physical features like scars, tattoos, etc. He said i will hear back from him in the next couple of days, but indicated they are doing my background check as we speak and are trying to get everything completed today!!

One thing to note for anyone who may come upon this thread looking for info....He asked me if i applied to the AG's office at all prior to applying though the Johnston PD, which i did not as my FFL advised me to apply directly through my town. Reason he asked was because my reason for issuance is basically self defense/personal safety and the AG WILL NOT issue for that reason. So if i had applied though AG and was denied it takes more leg work for the town PD to process the app and issue the permit. I guess they would need to file an appeal with the AG of some sort before issuing the license. So i would definitely suggest not applying through the AG if personal protection is the reason you want CCW in RI, which most people seem to know anyway but definitely wanted to point that out!!

And trivia:

A town issued permit bypasses the waiting period, but does not allow open carry.

An AG issued permit allows open carry but does not bypass the waiting period.

The AG does issue for "personal protection", but requires proof that you need for "personal protection" goes beyond the general fear of random crime to which all subjects are subject.

I got approved!! He just called me back and said everything was all set and has been approved, i just need to go in to sign the final paperwork and license personally. Yesssssaaa!!

So happy all the preparation time and money I spent on qualification was worth it! Many people told me i would not get it in RI because i did not have "need". And to top it all off only 8 days waiting period!!

Congratulations! Not very long ago the chief didn't even process applications, so Johnston has made some great progress in a short amount of time.

I was very close to paying a lawyer to prepare my app....it was only your suggestions and input that helped to convince myself i could save the money and do it on my own. So thank you for that!!

Picked up my permit today, so its a done deal. No restrictions.

Detective told me they are swamped with applications right now but they are doing their best to process them quickly. He also said people who live in towns that are not openly issuing are obtaining Utah carry license then applying thru other towns in RI that do issue. So for example a resident of Pawtucket can get their Utah license then apply in Johnston because if you have a valid license in any other state you will be approved and can apply in any town.

People in Pawtucket should fight the chief's ignorance of the law like the people of Johnston did.. There were no lawsuit necessary in Johnston to get where they are today.

I'm about to submit my application package to Johnston, and keep seeing "notarized" as a requirement everywhere..
Is JPD still pretty easy to get the non-res LTC completed, and do the 3 letters of reference need to be notarized?

I actually go to the town clerk to get items notarized. On my initial application there were some contingencies that required a copy of the birth certificate and social security card notarized which she wouldn't do. When I brought the application in they wouldn't accept it because it wasn't notarized and I simply refereed them back to the town clerk who confirmed that she couldn't.

They then process the application.

I notarized everything, the reference letters, my letter of request, the app itself, copies of my ID's i even signed and notarized. Everything with a signature needs to be notarized. No sense in risking a denial due to an incomplete app.

And yes, they are still issuing non-res, just be sure to include a copy of your MA LTC, signed and notarized as well. Good luck!

So i have everything ready to go for this, just need to write my letter stating why I'm looking to obtain my LTC. Does anyone have examples of what has worked, I've already applied for my C&R FFL and waiting on that to come through. Should I indicate that I've applied for one or leave that part out since it's not "official"?

I'm waiting for my C&R to come in and then re-submitting. That way I can show that I am a 'collector' in a more official sense. This is due to the ruling of the Gadomsky vs EP case where 'collector' was recognized as properly showing need.

I agree that the whole 'showing need' is not required for town applications however Cranston has denied in the past so I'm being overly cautious this time.

Actually Mosby was the case regarding collector and even then, he didn't have a C&R but merely engaged in the act of procuring firearms.
Mosby sought a permit because he is a gun collector who sometimes travels with large amounts of money.
Because the Firearms Act provides for both discretionary and mandatory licensing to qualified applicants, the constitutional guarantee to keep and bear arms is fulfilled.   Mosby, a resident of Massachusetts who holds several gun licenses from other states, was entitled to a carrying permit from the licensing authority of any city or town.   An avid gun collector, plaintiff has a proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver and there is no suggestion that he is an unsuitable person.   In contrast to § 11-47-18, the statute now before the Court, § 11-47-11 is mandatory-an applicant who meets the criteria set forth in § 11-47-11 is entitled to a gun permit.

I put 3 things in my letter of "request" as i like to call it:

1- I consider myself a gun collector (no proof or C&R included)

2- RI transport laws being very restrictive, hard to interpret, a carry license would alleviate any and all uncertainty

3- I want to obtain non-res permits from surrounding states which require me to hold a permit in my home state

I put all 3 of these reasons in my letter, to be safe....worked for me. I also had no official interview during the process. I just went in once to do my fingerprints and had a convo with the BCI detective. Never actually met the Chief at all.

So i dropped my package off to Johnston at the end of January, and recently realized that they never did my fingerprints. Is this normal or will i get called in once the chief gets around to reviewing my package?

Back
Top Bottom