Johnston RI concealed carry permit

Denied in Johnston after 182 days!

No reason was given and was told to expect a letter in the mail.

I have a clean BCI and am an NRA certified instructor.

How's the appeal process go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sir, I just received the information yesterday.

This is the only forum I posted on.

I looked up the the thread from the other user, it's possibly something similar

I have not recieved the paper from the PD yet with reason for denial, there's only one thing I can think of, which if so RI law is on my side.

Last edited:
The requirements are straight forward and as long as you satisfy the following, you shall be granted a permit

Are you:
-21 years of age or older?
-Live or have a place of business in Johnston?
OR
-Live in the US and have a permit issued by another state/subdivision (This part allows people to hold multiple different town permits as well as have the AG).

Do you:
-Have a good reason to fear an injury to you or your property
OR
-Have a proper reason

Are you:
-Suitable?

Last edited:
I meet all but one....

I'm a Warwick resident

However I do hold non resident permits in other states allowing me to apply in Johnston, which I told told to do so to avoid this very issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mosby taught us being a firearms collector was a proper reason and Gadomski informed that the information used to deny an applicant shall be provide to the applicant. They can't deny you on info you can't or they can't obtain legally.

Suitability comes into play and there is a trend developing because of how the CLEO's ignore the law and issue as they see fit, often confusing discretion with discrimination.

That's what I believe is happening here

The only thing I can think of is

11 years ago I had a minor thing, I had the record exsponged. In RI that gives me the legal right to say NO on paper.

I was called and asked if I had ever been arrested and asked about 2005. I informed that had been exsponged and I was never actually "arrested"

From what I understand unless I am applying for a position of trust ..I.E. LEO government job etc I have the legal right to write and say no I have not.

Were you a minor or adult when it happened?

Were you a minor or adult when it happened?

Adult

Not a felony, no prison time

I have ran my name though the courtconnect.gov and it comes up clean

Also if I remember correctly the application states "in the last 10 years"

Last edited:
There are (2) denials now from Johnston, both with very similar situations. I wonder if both cases could be bundled into one court case and make it "the people" instead of "Person X" and Person Y" therefore setting hard to ignore precedent.

Good to know, but at this point I would have to put that I've been denied elsewhere, so I may as well deal with the appeal process

There is no appeals process.

You will need to petition the state supreme court to take your case.

Wow this is frustrating, so now I have a denial to follow me around anywhere else.

I'd assume Warwick would see JPD denied it and follow along

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please consider contacting you elected State officials (Senate and House) and tell them we need CCW reform (H7390 and S2647) and please testify next session when these bills are re-introduced again.

Please consider contacting you elected State officials (Senate and House) and tell them we need CCW reform (H7390 and S2647) and please testify next session when these bills are re-introduced again.

I attend all statehouse rally's and make sure my name is in, along with urging officials

After this, i WILL be testifying next session

Generally speaking most of us have had a hardship in getting a permit and had to jump through red tape. I have yet to meet someone who applied and had a pleasant experience out of the matter.

I attend all statehouse rally's and make sure my name is in, along with urging officials

After this, i WILL be testifying next session

Thanks.

Although RI is by no means perfect, there has been great progress in just the last 3-4 years and before 2002 I don't think any town issued town permits. It is a little frustrating that we have to deal with this though because the law is on our side.

- - - Updated - - -

There is some information here related to RI CCW.
http://www.rifol.org/ccwinfo.php

Wow this thread has had a LOT of action, haven't been on in a while. But I wanted to just update. I had been slacking as far as getting my qualification done. But I did it today, shot a 245/300. I contacted the detective at Johnston PD who did my fingerprint card as I wanted to remind him that he already took my picture for the app, but given its been a few months I want to touch base with him to make sure he still has my pics on file. So once I contact him and drop off the app I will post on here for time frame reference.

On another positive note, the instructor who qualified me has a cousin who is also a Johnston detective and said the chief has been issuing licenses as long as u have no disqualifiers. He also indicated that because I had LTC in MA it should not be an issue getting one in RI.

Wow this thread has had a LOT of action, haven't been on in a while. But I wanted to just update. I had been slacking as far as getting my qualification done. But I did it today, shot a 245/300. I contacted the detective at Johnston PD who did my fingerprint card as I wanted to remind him that he already took my picture for the app, but given its been a few months I want to touch base with him to make sure he still has my pics on file. So once I contact him and drop off the app I will post on here for time frame reference.

On another positive note, the instructor who qualified me has a cousin who is also a Johnston detective and said the chief has been issuing licenses as long as u have no disqualifiers. He also indicated that because I had LTC in MA it should not be an issue getting one in RI.

It's frustrating it takes so long, but I think that's how they tell who's serious, good luck.

So the waiting starts now!!

Dropped off my completed application yesterday (8/2/16) to the Johnston PD. I'll keep everyone posted, I suppose the next thing that should happen is I should receive a call from the chief to come in for interview. Wish me luck!!

So the waiting starts now!!

Dropped off my completed application yesterday (8/2/16) to the Johnston PD. I'll keep everyone posted, I suppose the next thing that should happen is I should receive a call from the chief to come in for interview. Wish me luck!!

The wait will give you time to plan all the things you need to carry properly but may not have yet. Also plan your first purchase, it felt so weird walking into a gun store, finding something you like, and leaving with it a few minutes later with no 7 day waiting period.

I had a permit 16 years ago, finally decided to get one again and it was like I was born again (from a gun enthusiast point of view).

Get the best holster that works for you, get something tried and tested. If it's IWB, you have two options, loose weight or buy the next size up pants. Also try on different brands/cuts of clothing. In the summer I wear polo's and kacki shorts (yes, I know I'm preppy). But with a proper rig, no one notices anything. I've also started getting longer shirts which aid in tucking in, when left un tucked it helps cover everything up.

Thanks for the advice everyone, however I recently moved from MA and have had LTC since i was 21 years old (roughly 12 years). So i have plenty of experience carrying, have plenty of firearms already and have my preferences as far as EDC's and holster selection. I am not new to this!! But again, appreciate the input. I am planning on taking a Rhode Island gun law class very soon to be sure i am familiar with my restrictions & obligations in this state.

Now, some surprisingly good news!! I got a call from the detective at the PD which i had mentioned in earlier posts above who did my fingerprint card and took my photo when i first picked up my app. He said they were "processing my app, waiting on the chief to sign off on it" (good news?) but apparently he said he did not see my fingerprint card in the app, which i know was in there. So he said he was going to take another look in case it was stuck to one of the other papers or if he overlooked it. But worst case scenario, he said i can go back in the next day or two to do another fingerprint card. he also indicated everything else looked good in the app.

I am surprised at how quickly they contacted me, and the vibe i got was that everything seems to be going through. He indicated if i need to come in to do another fingerprint card they will do my interview at that point but also said it doesn't seem like they need to know much else as my application was very thorough and complete. So fingers crossed!! Will keep you all posted!!

Back
Top Bottom