• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Johnston RI concealed carry permit

I believe you have to walk into the station for the app, however if you don't live in RI you can only go through the AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is false
§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States

Damn this thread caught a lot of action since I last visited....but in response to the ammo, yes they said fragible ammo would be fine. Jims firearms, who's owner use to be a Johnston police officer, has this ammo in stock .45 cal & 9mm.

What does the denial letter say? What "need" did you use as a justification for them to give you a permit?

Do you need to open carry or travel to a state that only recognize the AG permit? If not I recommend applying locally if you meet the requirements in 11-47-11.
What town do you live in?

I'm sorry but I must of missed something, who mentioned any denial letter in this thread? I have reread every page and can't figure out what this was in response too?

Do you know where I can find an online copy of Johnston's current application? I currently have an AG permit and I now live out of state. That said, I was the one who first tried hard 12 years ago to get a permit from JPD so I think I want one out of principle.

Thanks

i have the johnston application if you would like it please pm me

I am not sure exactly what news you are looking for.
However, Johnston has issued permits so anyone who would like a permit (and meets the statutory requirements) should request an application from Johnston and apply. There is no reason to wait for someone else to see how they do (this is a big problem in RI for whatever reason).
PS, the solicitor in Johnston is the attorney for the Rhode Island 2nd Amendment Coalition (ri2nd.org) which is the NRA affiliated club in RI. He has talked to the Chief about 11-47-11 and as a result the Chief is now issuing.

Yes thank you I am aware of 2a coalition and there excellent efforts.

I only asked if anyone has heard anything since I had applied over 90 days ago and have not heard anything. If others were seeing similar wait times I would hold off before pursuing a status, don't want to push them

If im not mistaken their application states "maximum of 90 days" so it's perfectly reasonable to request an update on the application (in writing).

Yes it does,I understand they are swarmed with applications as of now and didn't want to seem pushy

12. All permits will expire FOUR (4) YEARS from the date of issue. Also, the renewal of your permit is your obligation. No notification of expiration of the permit will be sent to you. Allow a maximum of 90 DAYS for processing of your application.

I guess a friendly phone call wouldn't be a bad idea

Send the chief an email. Doesn't have to be pushy. "Good morning chief xyz my name is John smith and I submitted my application for a carry permit on xxx and since the 90 days have lapse I'm asking for a status update. Thank you and have a great day"

or something like that lol. You would be surprised. They're pretty responsive. And like newport stated Johnston IS issuing, my town adopted their application so they follow almost the same protocol. Do you know if any of your references have been contacted?

So if I'm reading this right, Johnston issues permits to any applicant, even if they don't live in Johnston?

No, you need to meet at least the statutory requirements.
That part I got, but being a Pawtucket resident I figured only Johnston residents could apply for a Johnston town permit. I don't have a place of business or an out of state permit. I mentioned this to my LGS and he said they would accept the application. I wanted to check with you all

That part I got, but being a Pawtucket resident I figured only Johnston residents could apply for a Johnston town permit. I don't have a place of business or an out of state permit. I mentioned this to my LGS and he said they would accept the application. I wanted to check with you all

Do you have a non res permit in another state?

No, does that mean I'm SOL?

That's what newportri meant about meeting statutory requirements. Emphasis mine.

§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

pawtucket will not even conduct a background check to join a gun club. had a friend who tried to get an application and was sent to AG

Pawtucket has applications so just go request one. If they give you a hard time, request one under APRA and I am sure they will give it to you. If claim it never existed let me know since I got one from them years ago and you can file a complaint with the AG for a violation of APRA.

Pawtucket has applications so just go request one. If they give you a hard time, request one under APRA and I am sure they will give it to you.

Good advice!
It is myunderstanding that towns have a statutory obligation to provide and to processpermit applications. Is this not so?

Is the process still going positive in johnston?

I only ask since I'm at 173 days with more than a few calls in with no answers.

I'm not sure if this is normal or I should be doing something

Back
Top Bottom