• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Johnston RI concealed carry permit

Yes, I think that's fair to claim you are a gun collector.
You live in RI now, right (your post above was a little confusing to me)?
You are not 'transferring' your permit, but you are applying for a permit in RI.
Would you like to get a MA permit (assuming you are a RI resident)? If so, you can say you would like a RI permit so you can apply for a MA permit since MA requires that you have a resident permit from your home state.

I tried to private message you but it said your inbox was full, if you could inbox me I would appreciate it....just have a quick question to ask you.

Just an update, I have an appointment with Johnston PD to get my fingerprints taken on Friday. Also, my qualification is setup for Saturday the 23rd with Daria @ Fall River gun club. I have rest of the documents all ready to go for the application so once she signs off on my qualification I will submit the app.

Another update....I cancelled quAli fiction with Daria because 1) I realized the price was just way to high & 2) the johnston police offered to do the qualification with me right at their range at the station at no cost. I just have to bring lead free ammo. I went in to do my fingerprints card and the BCI detective who helped me was very nice. Offered to help in anyway he could as far as my application, he even took my photo while I was there so I didn't have to worry about supplying the three 1" x 1" photos. He was asking me about what types of guns I own and how I heard about RI carry permit. I told him I was licensed in MA until I moved to RI. So I had a pretty good feeling when I left the station, they seemed more than willing to cooperate and seemed like they will issue the permit without a problem. So now I just gotta setup the qualification and my app will be ready.

Wow, Johnston has done a complete 180 on their CCW licensing policy... Not long ago they wouldn't even look at an application, and now they are actually doing the qualification... This is great news, thanks for posting. Hopefully they will get a proper ID making machine since their current permit is HUGE and won't fit in your wallet unless you fold it.

Another update....I cancelled quAli fiction with Daria because 1) I realized the price was just way to high & 2) the johnston police offered to do the qualification with me right at their range at the station at no cost. I just have to bring lead free ammo. I went in to do my fingerprints card and the BCI detective who helped me was very nice. Offered to help in anyway he could as far as my application, he even took my photo while I was there so I didn't have to worry about supplying the three 1" x 1" photos. He was asking me about what types of guns I own and how I heard about RI carry permit. I told him I was licensed in MA until I moved to RI. So I had a pretty good feeling when I left the station, they seemed more than willing to cooperate and seemed like they will issue the permit without a problem. So now I just gotta setup the qualification and my app will be ready.

wtf is lead free ammo?

Jacketed bullets typically have a lead core. Barnes makes solid copper bullets and I know there are also some other less known manufacturers. You could probably also get frangible ammo. In either case, the ammo will be a lot more expensive than typical 'lead' ammo.

What does the denial letter say? What "need" did you use as a justification for them to give you a permit?

Do you need to open carry or travel to a state that only recognize the AG permit? If not I recommend applying locally if you meet the requirements in 11-47-11.
What town do you live in?

I heard rumors that Lincoln recently started issuing. There is no reason you can not apply to Lincoln and I recommend you request their application. You can do an APRA request with Lincoln to find out if a permit was issued and what reason was given by the applicant.

I heard rumors that Lincoln recently started issuing. There is no reason you can not apply to Lincoln and I recommend you request their application. You can do an APRA request with Lincoln to find out if a permit was issued and what reason was given by the applicant.

I did finally get a copy of their app. Didn't know how it would be affected going through an appeal with the AG at the same time and also the uncertainty If the psych is really required.

Cumberland had a psych exam on their old application. The new one no longer requires it. (They adopted the Johnston application)

Lincoln. I submitted Copy of real estate business license from the State.
Usually this is enough, but they honestly don't always look at the information that is submitted with the application. Bring the license again and proof that you work for them as well as a work description. If your employer is willing to write a letter, this would also help. However, it is a crapshoot with the AG, and I think you are better off applying locally (if you meet all the requirements).

When did you get this application? Does the application have any contact information regarding how you can take this exam? My guess is that it does not, other than stating that it is administered by URI.
Can you scan and email me the application (pm me first)?

Cumberland had a psych exam on their old application. The new one no longer requires it. (They adopted the Johnston application)

Do you know where I can find an online copy of Johnston's current application? I currently have an AG permit and I now live out of state. That said, I was the one who first tried hard 12 years ago to get a permit from JPD so I think I want one out of principle.

Thanks

Do you know where I can find an online copy of Johnston's current application? I currently have an AG permit and I now live out of state. That said, I was the one who first tried hard 12 years ago to get a permit from JPD so I think I want one out of principle.

Thanks

I believe you have to walk into the station for the app, however if you don't live in RI you can only go through the AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you have to walk into the station for the app, however if you don't live in RI you can only go through the AG

A person with a residence outside of the town who has a permit to carry from any other state or territory may apply to any town. I meet this criteria.

Remember the Mosby case? He was a Mass resident. The Supreme Court said he could apply to any town in RI.

A person with a residence outside of the town who has a permit to carry from any other state or territory may apply to any town. I meet this criteria.

Remember the Mosby case? He was a Mass resident. The Supreme Court said he could apply to any town in RI.

That is correct, I myself have applied at JPD using that same cause and awaiting response.

I was under the assumption that was only for RI residents, good to know that applies for non res too. Thanks

That is correct, I myself have applied at JPD using that same cause and awaiting response.

I thought you were implying you did not live in RI

I do not live in RI. I haven't for 11 years. I was born in Warwick and raised in Johnston and tried for a town pistol permit 12 years ago.

This is why I was asking for the application. I can't walk into the police station, its a LOOOONGGG walk (or drive for that matter). I'm sure someone has a current application in a PDF file or something. It would be convenient.

I have about 9 out of state carry licenses, so I clearly meet the statutory criteria of having a permit from any other state, thus allowing me to apply to any city or town in RI.

How long ago did you apply?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom