• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Johnson's thread

Hey, so does anybody else have one of these?

<insert some sort of ww2 marine pacific history here>
P6B0X8f.jpg

Anyways I figured I'd post about it here along with maybe a few of my other collectables. I like ww2 and I like autos. So here is my 1941 Johnson that I cannot actually recommend anybody else to ever purchase due to the lack of parts that simply don't exist anymore and the bull crap stories the sellers make up. I can tell you I paid what seems like too much for this creature but I love her as she holds a place in my collection. Anyways, here is what she looks like. Original stock, original sling, original bayonet and a crappy picture that I really have to take a better one which I probably will soon enough.

The bayonet is totally insane. The weapon's barrel retracts when you shoot it and well, just retracts in general so the whole idea you'd even stab somebody with this is just
ridiculous. Here is what the bayonet looks like:

t5JeWZ9.jpg

The sling is a work of art though. God I love how it looks and feels. Quality leather here.
BbQrXsR.jpg

It actually has a bolt carrier group like the AR pattern rifles. Its totally over engineered but that's a ww2 era auto for you. This is some crazy mechanism for no apparent reason.
hxI24NL.jpg
How to extract this is another level of amazing. Its a while 10 wave set of firefight on its own to deal with. You have to pull the pin that holds the charging handle set with a tiny grabby thing of some sort but it doesn't exactly want to come out so you ..or me... spends about 40 minutes pulling at a snail's tooth praying it doesn't snap. Once that's out the barrel has to come out. That's another level of stupid because the barrel just comes out. Its held in by a latch at the end of the stock that if smacked hard enough has the potential to fall loose and mind you this was designed for combat and thus the barrel could potentially become a weapon device of its own. Yes, you heard it launch the barrel at the enemy. A whole new playing field. This is the amazing latch system.

bje9f23.jpg
Don't question it. Its a show about a talking sponge living in a pineapple at the bottom of the ocean. The barrel is neat though, here's the barrel!
3au2qVp.jpg
Great aerodynamics on this, maybe it WAS designed to be a missile of its own. So to further go on the idea this is just a ww2 AR pattern system, the stock has a buffer piston. Yes, a buffer piston. I don't know any other weapon that works this way (wink wink). So here is the stock's buffer tube and recoil absorbing/recycling system. Mind you its all in the rear, there is nothing to control gas on this weapon system. Its all rear wheel drive.
uqStXRh.jpg
The ball and socket joint go together like an SVTs charging handle and a 7.62x54r. It works and feels good to put it in that hole. So yeah, its a simple thread. I'll take apart something else this weekend, my K43 or Ag42-b or something who the hell knows. I hope this thread is proper, on topic and is appreciated in some way. Here, have a BCG.

JOCWmjw.jpg

Very nice gun , I remember in the 80s you could find a sporterized one occasionally at a shop or gun show. They seemed to have disappeared with the rise in value.

They went to cuba. I'm not kidding. I've seen tons of pictures of cuban revolutionaries with Johnsons. They only made what, 20k of them? A shipment or 5 got stolen and the rest were sold to the civilian/whoever market. They don't exist anymore. They are impossible to repair too. This one is a first run model. 3 runs, (nothing), A and B. It was in a basement for years just sitting there totally untouched and good luck finding one that has any matching numbers as they are all jumbled up .. on purpose. Mr. Johnson hates you pretty much.

I usually avoid trolling the milsurp threads but that is an incredible piece. Welcome aboard.

@BriMac

They wont be sold for those prices. A dealer is going to offer 4k max for them and nobody is going to drop it to that. The condition of the 3rd link looks fantastic but its a last run which literally nobody wants and will at BEST be scrapped for replacement parts. Johnsons are unwanted and unaffordable for what they are.

YsxEhAD.jpg

So do I make a new thread or can I just keep using this one for Saturday?

Nice , your post is a good example to why the Johnson may not have been widely accepted?
As a mechanical piece I like it. It's different

Pretty cool writeup of Capt. Johnson's creations in the milsurp magazine I picked up at Bass Pro yesterday.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150322_220114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150322_220114.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 11
ezoiWQA.jpg

Sorry, it will be a while before I can get new pictures of my K43. Its in another state at the time (recently moved) and thus its a pain to go get it. Here we can see the internals of the K43 though. Note hoe many parts make the piston. The other side has a weird slide plate. Not sure who thought that was a good idea but it works better than the SVT-40 in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom