Johnson's SVT-40

So I as any of you have a cat, a car and money I just don't know how to spend. Mind you these are already a few years old these pictures but hey, good enough quality.
So here is my next thread. I won't make these too often but I can make a few right now. So without doing a further here is my SVT40. Way over priced for what it is but it plays well with the other autos.
lXQNEGG.jpg
So these are fantastic little shooters, this one I actually sold many moons ago but I have another in the back of Narnia* somewhere.
So we start with looking at the shiny metal on it. Look at this muzzle device. Its totally useless and illogical, I think they just kept drinking instead of designing. This is the muzzle device I have only seen on 1941 builds, not the 1940. So that I guess means this is an SVT-4...1? What ever. Just look at this.
azow7Jm.jpg

Mind you those hairs are from the couch not my crotch, we will move onto the further illogical and questionable choices Ivan made while designing this.
Now I have shot the hell out of my PSL, my nugget and my SVT only to find the SVT is loud, sets the lawn on fire and is way too heavy. The wood is nice but that's kind of expected out of ww2 era rifles. Well mine at least, you'll see in more threads that the wood on my guns ("is" or "are" whats the right word here?) in amazing condition.
mOJSpjo.jpg

so this is the lewd bits of the SVT. She is stripped rather easily and is well, simple at best. She doesn't have any magical twisty bendy parts, minimal springs and even a shoulder thing that goes up.
arvtKtk.jpg

The piston is strange and inverted by my logic. I don't know but I feel like they just dropped the ball on this thing. It opens in like 3 places and has a spring in it but it doesn't go past the chamber at any time. Thanks Ivan for this overly complex stick with spring system.
mgwXJzt.jpg

Here is what the piston looks like outside of the magical holding system. The stock looks somewhat like it was jigsawed together at times but its a nice stock. Weird cut outs I don't exactly understand since my hands don't exactly fit in them.
o6HqX3c.jpg

So here is the inside of the chamber where we can see "Ivan's quality control management company" doing their best job to keep the "quality control" to a standard that truly outclasses the competition. I have no idea what any of these cave drawings mean.
mNZZwB7.jpg

Notice that it IS indeed 1941 and that just back's up what I said originally. Have some more cave drawings
h8HL7oH.jpg

gsfMoWD.jpg

I don't exactly have much to say on the BCG. Its nice unlike 80% of this hunk of metal and wood.
upByoaP.jpg

I guess whoever captured and refinished this was an artist but not a very good one.
HMm76R7.jpg

Well, here is the last picture I am going to post here. Again there isn't much to say about this but its the other side of the piston. Yes, you heard me, the OTHER side of the piston. God it makes no sense but sure, what ever. Alright Dimitri, you can play "build guns" too but next time you better design something that isn't over enginered for what it is and works in a much simpler way. Don't take what I say as object for argument or conversation, I've shot enough Russian weapon systems to know this is just way too many parts stuck into something so stupidly simple.
GjZMoT4.jpg

Cool gun. Always wanted a semi auto in x54r. My local shop in Ipswich has a SVT-40 for $1,195 plus tax. And a Mosin PU sniper for $1,195.

My local shop in Ipswich has a SVT-40 for $1,195 plus tax. And a Mosin PU sniper for $1,195.

Not anymore they don't! ;-) But they do have the mosin sniper still, and I think the price on the website is wrong. I looked at the tag on it and it was $800 or $850 and is a real sniper.

My dad brought home a scoped SVT40 from the war. Took it off a captured German who I assume took it off an Ivan. My mother made him sell it back in the 50s at the urging of my grandfather because " you know Virginia, those GIs go crazy." The moonbatism goes way back.

Not anymore they don't! ;-) But they do have the mosin sniper still, and I think the price on the website is wrong. I looked at the tag on it and it was $800 or $850 and is a real sniper.

Damn you bought that too!? Wow. I definitely want to shoot that.

Congrats on a good buy!!!

[pics]

I wanted to take pics today but never got to it. Its gorgeous, arsenal refurbed with the plum colored bolt. I don't think the previous owner even fired a full mag after the refurb, the bolt face still has almost all the plum coloring. Bore looks great too.

So these are fine to shoot surplus corrosive x54r ammo? Just need to give the gas system a good cleaning afterwards?

So these are fine to shoot surplus corrosive x54r ammo? Just need to give the gas system a good cleaning afterwards?

For my Hakim, after I shoot corrosive through it, I spray WD40 down the gas tube and set it on the rack with the muzzle down to let it thoroughly seep through the entire tube/valve. When I get home I clean the bore with M Pro-7 and its happy.

That's the swedish ljungman in 6.5 swedish, the original version of the egyptian hakim
Just finished doing a bit if research on it, gotta say wow. Seems like a good battle rifle, however, the Hakim seems a bit cheaper and the rasheed uses a regular 7.62 round. Time to find another rifle for Mac...

No the Hakim doesn't use a 7.62 round! Its an 8mm gun, 7.92 not 7.62

And they are a blast to shoot, the muzzle brake totally tames it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom