Johnson M1941 at LGS

For the first time, I got to pick up and look at a M1941. I have never seen one before in person. I wanted it bad and I think it was a good price at $4500. But that is well beyond my means. It looked liked a good rifle but I have to admit, I like the Garand a lot better. It felt more like a deer rifle and not a battle rifle. I guess I could sell my car and walk to work. ;)

Johnsons are wicked cool. I've had them on my "I wish" list for a long time. And they share a lot of parts with the Johnson light machine gun. I think $4500 is probably about right.

There used to be a dealer on the gun show circuit that often had one with him at shows, usually Springfield. I don't think it was that much.

I guess I could sell my car and walk to work. ;)
Life is too short, sell the car, [wink] and hit the bricks...start walking and enjoy shooting that rifle. These are super rare as far as modern military arms go, I've only seen one in person.

Last edited:
if you can, get it.

This video would be SO much better if he didn't use Darth Vadar as his cameraman. WTF? I keep waiting for the camera to hit the ground when wheezy vapor locks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.... as much as I would like the gun.. it is not going to happen. It is in real good shape. It is just out of my league. But it was fun to hold one and see how cool they are. :)

Friend of mine just bought one of these and he let me shoot it today. What a great shooting rifle and nicely made. Wood stock looked brand new. Anyway here's a photo of me shooting it
64bf6b24d39e47213df9cc81776e1779.jpg

And here are photos of the case head separation he encountered with FN 58 30-06 ammo....
27ffeefdf1a2e94e7d27e30240d2bfc9.png

227a99181c35477afc43ce212ec03236.png

My friends grandfather has a lot of the cool guns.
This being one of them. They are cool and a neat machine.
Although I see why it did not make it. Seems to have a few to many delicate parts?
My friends grandfather said great gramps worked at marlin in the 30s and was on the prototype projects?
Granddad said he bought it through the NRA and with help with great gramps connections was able to round up the correct parts to un sporterize it. I shot many rounds through that thing as a kid.
He also has some very nice NM 1903s and a few other nice offerings through the NRA back then.

I honestly never even knew about these rifles until my friend told me about them. Glad he let me shoot it. This particular one was made in Cranston, RI which I thought was interesting.

Stripper clips fed? How does it feel/shoot compared to a Garand?

T

Yeah stripper clips. It felt pretty good and handled the recoil well. I think the Garand has less recoil than this rifle. Possibly due to it being heavier? Haven't compared the weights....

Stripper clips fed? How does it feel/shoot compared to a Garand?

T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY19tDMDvr4

It's a rotary mag much like a 10/22. Just watching this video you can see why there where some things that just don't do well . For one loading with clips looks like you need to really manipulate the gun.that long thin barrel has little protection. We only singled loaded my friends gun. Last I talked to gramps I was pushing the "when are you going to sell"sadly for me he already has plans to sell the entire collection in one swoop.way beyond my wallet.i was hoping to at least get one of his 1903s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom