• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

John Rosenthal Admits to Violating Federal Gun Law

WOW! What a smarmy turd.

He must get it from hanging around with John Rosenthal. If you've ever met Rosenthal, you'll immediately recognize that picture in the dictionary next to the entry for "Smarmy Turd" to be John. [My apologies to the little brown things floating in the toilet bowl.]

Ken

Conspiracy might be possible

It's possible that Rosenthal could get nailed for conspiracy, especially since MA makes this easier than most states. Normally, you need to prove two things: 1) Agreement to commit a crime, and 2) an act in furtherance of the conspiracy. However, in MA, there is no "act" requirement, so his mere agreement to illegally obtain a weapon in NH should be enough to nail him on conspiracy, if nothing else.

And yes, I'm (almost) a lawyer too - will be one soon (waiting for the bar exam results)

Depends on who pursues it. Given that most MA libtards and politicians are anti gun, they'll likely try to sweep it under the carpet as it would hurt rather than further their agenda.

I think MA can go after him. He was a MA resident looking to buy a handgun in NH and possibly bring it back to MA.

If he never actually -did- it (brought the gun into MA) that'd be
reaching, at a minimum. There are very few cases where someone
can get prosecuted for doing something in one locale
which would be illegal in their "place of residence"

If they were able to prosecute such a case (MA courts) that would
be a disturbing precedent, at a minimum. I know people who
own homes out of state, that have guns and magazines stored
in their vacation homes that would be illegal in MA. Just because
they own them (there) doesn't mean they intend to bring them into
MA. The premise that we should prosecute someone because
they would "possibly" break the law with something is
ludicrous.

This is strictly an issue of federal law, not state. (Although, there
might be some NH RSA's they violated, but NH is pretty quiet about
gun sales, from what I remember. )

-Mike

Isn't it Federal Law that he violated? Let the Fed's prosecute him and put him in federal prison. Then we don't have to worry about the libtards in MA burying the case until it gets dismissed and forgotten.

+1. Even if they had violated MA law somehow (by bringing the gun
back here, let's say) they're just going to get the "wink wink nod
nod" treatment in MA court system just like they did with Ira Magaziner's
wife... "case dismissed" due to political/beautiful people hubris/influence.

-Mike

Conspiracy

Didn't the "crime" actually occur in NH, therefore, wouldn't be an MA issue?

This is a good question - he conspired to illegally purchase guns by agreeing to something illegal that would have been committed in New Hampshire. Under MA law, all he had to do was agree to the illegal act and presto, we have a conspirator waiting to be charged.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly the federal requirement for conspiracy needs the agreement and some act, beyond mere preparation, in furtherance of the conspiracy. If he went with a co-conspirator to NH, or better yet, if he drove them to NH, this would probably suffice. However, if all he did was agree then we're left with a MA violation which would hinge upon MA to prosecute for conspiracy.

I think - any of the more experienced lawyers out there want to check this?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/a**h***.jpg

I saw someone who looked very similar to this picture, wearing a melon colored or red colored shirt and long billed cap, popping up at every table I stopped at. He was almost to the point of annoying. Maybe it was him! John, were you in Concord this weekend trying to illegally buy another gun?

I'm going to have to remember to bring my camera next time.

First off, for those that don't know me already, I am not a lawyer. I am fairly well versed on Federal Firearms Law, since I'm an ex-FFL, and still work part time with my father, and he is still an FFL.

Rosenthal is guilty as sin of Conspiracy to violate a Federal Law. That much is clear. However, the case would not be a clear winner, and take some time. So, I seriously doubt it will get prosecuted, though I think it should be prosecuted. I also think they should go after Bloomberg for his crimes.

The time has come for all of the Liberal Politicians to learn they are not above the law.

I think it should be prosecuted. I also think they should go after Bloomberg for his crimes.

+1 to that. Sadly though with all the cut-and-dry cases with violent and un-licenced criminals posessing and selling black-market firearms that all get away with cushy paroles and fines, its pretty obvious that the powers that be would just rather work on making life rough for the lawful citizens than do a goddamned thing agains the people who don't have one iota of respect for the law.

Grrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom