• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

John Crawford

John was on "the list" of Mass approved firearms instructors in my area. You see, I needed to take my firearms safety course and I was looking for someone local to help me out (Yeah, I know we all hate it). So I called John, and I asked him if I could come by for a rectification, he said yeah and agreed to meet me at his house on a specified date. So, the date arrived and I showed up at his house. Amazing, only way to describe it. I pulled up to this beautiful house with a two car attached garage. I knocked on the door...no answer. Thinking I messed up on the date we had agreed upon I gave him a call. Not sure what happened in the mix up, but after a few minutes of me waiting in his driveway, John pulled up in his truck.

John rolled out of his truck and I proceeded to introduce myself. John shook my hand and we walked up the stone staircase from his driveway and into the back yard. We walked through the backyard to the bulkhead door leading down to his basement and began the safety course. If anyone has ever had the pleasure of doing business with John you might be, like I was, in awe when I saw John's basement.

I descended the stairs and walked into your typical basement, except it wasn't your typical basement. Everywhere I looked there was machining equipment and reloading equipment....activate drool mode...I was impressed, most graphic I can go without being inappropriate. This man obviously had his ducks in order and knew what he was doing when it came to working on metal. (I guess being a mechanic for 15 years you tend to notice these things.)

So we went through the formalities of the firearms safety course. I paid my fee for my recent and received my certificate. And then we got to talking.

I told John I was an auto mechanic and we started talking. Next thing I know he brings me into his back yard where he has an additional three bay garage. He proceeds to spend the next few hours telling me about these couple of cars he has and has been restoring...yeah, they were Ford Model Ts. I was in awe. I don't know any better words to use than that, to see what we have today, and to see what we had then, it amazes me, how ingenious our predecessors were. And that was only the beginning.

John invited me back into his basement to show me his private collection. ( I was born on the anniversary of D Day so I have always had an interest in WW 2) John had a room that he dedicated to firearms of the era as well as memorabilia. I just don't have the words to describe his collection.

When all was said and done, I had pretty much spent most of my day at some guys house I was hoping to god I could get out of there as soon as humanly possible. Boy was I wrong. By the end of the day, I think he kicked me out of the house. When you meet a guy of such knowledge, it's hard to leave.

I was informed tonight that John had passed away a few days prior.John was a friend to the shooting community of New England. My words don't do his memory justice and I say thank you, John, for the pleasure of meeting you.

Back
Top Bottom