1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Jogging in the street. A-holes that try to see how close they can get and my rights to defend myself

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sterg, Jul 25, 2019.

1. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I jog and cycle. In the end, it's about being defensive. I stay on the side as much as possible. When you're up against cars and trucks, you don't get second chances.

wahsben and atmay like this.

2. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

I'll be open and honest here, I've never been a big fan of cyclists and never will be, but this kind of shit just infuriates me...

"Just a few weeks before the Longfellow Bridge reopens after a grueling five years of construction, Boston cyclists are in an all-out blitz to get more room on the span for bikes.

They’ve already won concessions from the state’s transportation department: wider lanes than originally designed, and three-foot traffic posts to separate them from car traffic.

But that isn’t enough for some cyclists. They say that at 6½ feet wide, the bike lane heading from Cambridge into Boston is too narrow to allow faster bikers to pass slower ones without drifting into the car lane. “It is an improvement, but it shouldn’t stop there,” said Becca Wolfson, executive director of the Boston Cyclists Union. “A significant number of people do pass, and it won’t facilitate that.”
    The bridge will have a bike lane on each side, one lane for vehicles heading outbound into Cambridge, and two lanes for cars coming into Boston. It’s that side, where the bridge climbs up out of Kendall Square, where the Cyclists Union wants more space: one of the car lanes, but only until it reaches the peak of the uphill climb; it would revert to car use for the downhill segment into Charles Circle in Boston."

Cyclists pushing for more room on Longfellow Bridge - The Boston Globe

Some a**h***s you just can't please no matter how much you try to appease them,
    it still isn't enough and they demand even more... just like gun grabbers

commodon likes this.
  3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

The only thing that SOME (hardly all) cyclists do on the reg that piss me off is the crosswalk violations. There are a number of crosswalks that are signaled that don't completely block the intersection. This isn't a big deal if you see a ped close but urban bike types are generally are traveling at a higher rate of speed, and the cyclists that I've seen violate it seem to have a death wish. Even joggers tend to run in place for a bit before proceeding... Motorists aren't looking that far for blasting cyclists, they're expecting slow moving peds.

-Mike

4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IMHO that problem is more about a subsect of commie UrbanBullshit cyclists than it is "cyclists as a generality." Those same douchebags, at least 60% of them don't even pay any road taxes of any kind (they don't own cars) and they generally hate cars and want you to die just for driving one. I bet the quoted broad doesn't even own a car, or even if she does, barely drives it. I know guys that ride bicycles on
    the reg even in UrbanBullshit that aren't that f***ed up. That's like a ultra-commie subset of cyclists, is what it is. Think Antifa on
    bicycles. If they got the 2nd or 3rd salvo of pinochet's helcopter tickets all of the other normal cyclists would be eternally grateful, it would be like if gun owners could flush out all the hard core fudds with a push of a button.

-Mike

5. atmay

atmay NES Member

On the flip side, Portsmouth put in some bike lanes that EVERYONE hates. Motorists, cyclists, trash guys, homeowners, tourists. Everyone. It’s kinda hilarious, actually.

Are we talking about cyclists using crosswalks to move through intersections? That’s one I see occasionally as well. That and moving against traffic....mostly concentrated in one area, though, and traffic is always messed up there anyway, so the stupid people on bikes are mostly just window dressing.

6. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

What will this do to my 59?

7. atmay

atmay NES Member

The people you’re describing would be terrible to share the road with if they were driving, too. It’s just a lot easier to hate on cyclists than it is other motorists.

It’s the entitled mindset, not the mode of transportation.

8. wahsben

wahsben NES Life Member NES Member

It's my understanding that those are considered electric motorcycles and not E bikes if they don't require pedaling but with everything out there who knows for sure.

9. Mr.E

Mr.E

Boston is arguable the trickiest city to do anything in. There just isn't enough space. I take the Longfellow routinely via bike or my electric skateboard to grab lunch. I think it's fine as is and also appreciate the physical plastic barrier thingies. My biggest issue is the dam Red Line that cuts through the center. for a bike you have to go all the way to either Kendall Square on one end or MGH on the other to change directions if you don't want to ride on the sidewalk. But cars can EABOD as far as I'm concerned, Boston is a shathole for commuting (which I do) and cars cause far more issues than bicycles.

10. atmay

atmay NES Member

Electric Bicycle Types Explained | Montague Bikes

Most trails that I’ve seen that have any rules about Ebikes generally limit to class 1, which is low-speed assist, but a lot of places are straight up silent on it still.

It’s also worth noting that the recumbent in the anecdote was most likely a custom/diy job, so who knows what was actually going on there.

wahsben likes this.
  11. wahsben

Thanks for the article: I had heard that only types 1 & 3 were considered actual e bikes and class 2 were considered electric motorbikes which they point out in the description of class 2.
    Class 2: Throttle
    Much like a motorcycle or scooter, a throttle operated e-bike propels the bike forward without any additional pedaling from the rider. Most can provide a variable amount of power depending how far the throttle is pushed. These are much less common than their pedal assist counterparts as many countries have laws that prohibit them entirely. The European Union requires an e-bike only provide power while the pedals are moving forward, so throttle e-bike are most common in the United States and China where little legislation exists to limit their use. Common
    It probably depends on where you're from or who you're talking with in how they describe them and yes the recumbent was probably a custom/DIY job although there may be a company that makes them but I'm not aware of one.

12. eboos

eboos

oh, but but...

Bonesinium, namedpipes and atmay like this.
  13. CCW

CCW

Define "too close". Can you cite a law that says what "too close" is? If they are not hitting you then they're not too close.
    Traffic in Eastern MA sux ass enough these days without people bogging it down by running, walking, or biking in the streets.
    Driving closer than you'd like is not illegal. Hitting someone's car while they are in it is assault and battery.

14. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Your edit is probably actually more accurate. Cyclists commit traffic infractions at similar or lesser rates than motorists. But pipes cannot be bothered with things like this that conflict with his (incorrect) preconceptions of cyclists.

namedpipes likes this.
  15. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

You sure about that one? Why does the applicable MGL specify

“the driver of a vehicle passing another vehicle traveling in the same direction shall drive a safe distance to the left of such other vehicle and shall not return to the right until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle; and, if the way is of sufficient width for the two vehicles to pass, the driver of the leading one shall not unnecessarily obstruct the other. If it is not possible to overtake a bicycle or other vehicle at a safe distance in the same lane, the overtaking vehicle shall use all or part of an adjacent lane if it is safe to do so or wait for a safe opportunity to overtake.”

I’m sure they used the phrase “safe distance” for shits and giggles and really meant “any distance where you don’t physically hit”. Or you’re just flat out wrong.

TLB and AHM like this.
  16. CCW

CCW

Can you cite the definition of safe distance? What do you think would happen if the OP called the popo and told them a car had just come "too close to be in a safe distance"?
    "Was there an accident?" "Whelp then go pound sand and stop interrupting our donut break"....

namedpipes likes this.
  17. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

No, is subjective. The point is it isn’t simply “not hitting”. Is it so hard to just admit that when you said it isn’t illegal you were wrong?

millbilly likes this.
  18. wahsben

This looks like it goes much faster than 28mph. Watch from 9:30 on.
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhfwjWuj-I

19. AMV

AMV

If your in the road when I come by and you make no attempt to get out of the way, especially the bicycle riders riding side by side on the back roads, I hose ya down with my windshield washers, wipers on high for good measure. The facial expressions in the rearview mirror are great, I have even been known to Give the passenger side washer jet a little twist to starboard for the Sunday riders that like to ride three across on the country back roads.

20. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Full the tank with deer piss.

21. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I say DIY, the morning after an asparagus dinner.

I’d be tempted to do just that for the @sshats who are compelled to run after a winter storm in a temporarily much narrower street, while the plows are still working. Prime candidates for a Darwin.

22. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

If I didn’t dodge a dozen of them yesterday in Chatham I didn’t see a one. Sidewalk wide open and morons running in the travel lane on Cedar St screwing up traffic on an already narrow road.

23. HARRYM

HARRYM NES Member

Pedestrians, joggers and bicyclists were never intended to co-exist on public roads when most roads were built. This concept is fairly new.

commodon likes this.
  24. pastera

pastera

How close is safe depends on both absolute and differential speed.

I'm a beginner and try to be as polite as possible to cars but sometimes you have to encroach on the travel lane simply because the side of the road is a mess of potholes that will toss you into traffic.

At slow speeds (<10) three feet is plenty.
    Once the speeds reach 20mph the cars wake can come cause some issues that close.
    Give ten feet of clearance and speed doesn't matter much (unless the cyclist is stupid enough to ride on a 50+ speed limit road)

I do have to admit a lot of the hate for cyclists is self generated and we'll deserved - the ones that feel like they need to train like their riding the tour treat other cyclists with as much disdain as they do cars.

25. frenchman

frenchman NES Member

Would be nice though. I bet a ranger battalion could keep you safe. They are well trained. If not, a battalion of airborne infantry would be my next choice. They don't come cheap tho, them battalions.

26. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Why are bikes and pedestrians not allowed on highways?

27. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

...and then there's Strava. [angry2]

pastera likes this.
  28. atmay

atmay NES Member

Because limited access highways exist solely for high speed travel in motor vehicles with limited interference; something than cannot be said for roads other than limited access highways.

ETA: and while we’re on the topic of highways, I lost more of my life to left lane campers TODAY than I have to cyclists in the last decade.

I don’t know what you guys are doing with your lives that cyclists and joggers are such an impediment to it.

AHM likes this.
  29. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

So the Lance wannabes can’t keep up?

30. atmay

atmay NES Member

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say here.

Highways that exclude pedestrians, cyclists, farm equipment, and horses also exclude things like roadside businesses. They’re built so you can get from point A to point B quickly, with few impediments to your forward progress (except Subarus).

Regular roads are not. They’re there for a wide variety of users to be able to travel.

Also, literally no one wants to be Lance Armstrong. He has one testicle, and zero titles. Like all dopers, a disgrace to the sport, and competition in general.

Skysoldier and Picton like this.