Jim Zumbo of Outdoor Life labels AR-15s Terrorist Rifles

A couple of my favorite lines of Fudd reasoning...

"It's people like you (EBR owners), that are responsible for anti-gun laws being passed".

Or...

"It's you damn assault rifle owners that make us all look bad".

[thinking]

A couple of my favorite lines of Fudd reasoning...

"It's people like you (EBR owners), that are responsible for anti-gun laws being passed".

Or...

"It's you damn assault rifle owners that make us all look bad".

[thinking]

These people would pass my "dickhead" assessment test. And most certainly fit Scriv's less vulgar and more concise description of "ignorant and short-sighted."

That's a very interesting article. I may have to revise my gun lust list to include an EBR... right behind an Argentine 1911, that is.

Well, Ross, you do remember my comments on the Appleseedinfo forum, don't you? Every shooter should own an AR and an AK, for familiarity, if nothing else.

The AR you can buy "on the the payment plan", that is, build it yourself, and buy the parts over time. Plus, that way, you'll get what YOU want, not what they sell.

The AR is not my favorite rifle (the M1 Garand and Dragunov are tied for that honor), but it is good, and yes, I own one, and will be building another for the girlfriend.

When my LTC comes in, an AR will be #2 on my list of immediate acquisitions. I've been tossing around the idea of building vs. buying. Do you think someone who has no experience building or even disassembling/reassembling guns like me could build their own AR without too many headaches? Should I just buy one and learn everything about it before even attempting?

Wonder if we could start an "AR for Dummies thread"? I really have no idea where to begin - apparently the AR-15 can be configured in so many different ways; it seems a little overwhelming.

Dwarven1,

If you post AR questions, I am sure many on the forum, myself include, will be glad to answer them.

That's a very interesting article. I may have to revise my gun lust list to include an EBR... right behind an Argentine 1911, that is.

The government (state and Federal) consider them unsuitable for mere civilians to possess and the gun grabbers think "assault weapons" are anathema.

What other reasons could you possibly need?

Dwarven1,

If you post AR questions, I am sure many on the forum, myself include, will be glad to answer them.
Unfortunately, David, I'm like the fourth son - unable to ask. I don't even know the right questions to ASK other than "Where do I start?".
The government (state and Federal) consider them unsuitable for mere civilians to possess and the gun grabbers think "assault weapons" are anathema.

What other reasons could you possibly need?
I want one. That's reason enough for me.

The government (state and Federal) consider them unsuitable for mere civilians to possess
The Federal government does not consider any AR15 unsuitable for mere civilians to possess. Some people IN the .gov may see it that way, but not the US Code.

September 19 2004 was quite some time ago.

Do you think someone who has no experience building or even disassembling/reassembling guns like me could build their own AR without too many headaches? Should I just buy one and learn everything about it before even attempting?

I am by no means an AR-guru, but if you have no experience as you state, IMHO your best bet is probably to get a basic, inexpensive AR or good copy and start playing around with it. Learn how to field-strip, clean, maintain, and shoot it. See how it operates and how the parts interact before you try to build one.

Ross, here's the configuration that I consider most versatile:

1) 16" barrel with a 1/7 rifling rate
2) carbine or midlength gas system
3) six position stock (oops, make that a fixed one for you)
4) MIL-STD-1913 rail on top of receiver
5) 4 MOA Aimpoint (Comp ML2 or Comp C)
6) Larue back up rear sight
7) two-point tactical (side mounted) sling

Kinda like this:

SGFnSZedJ3yigCxWx7DwEHimFwI-MxQy0300.jpg

There are varying degrees of "building" an AR.

You can buy a stripped lower and stipped upper and truly build a custom rifle (not recommended for you at this time) or you can buy a complete lower in the configuration you want and a complete upper in the configuration you want and slap them together via the takedown pins. They don't even have to be from the same manufacturer, the AR is so modular and standardized.

The one you see above I put together with a DPMS complete lower, Rock River two stage trigger, DPMS bolt/bolt carrier assembly, and LMT complete upper. The rear sight in that picture is a folder from Midwest Industries. I would avoid folding sights unless you have a magnifying scope. That sight has since been replaced with a fixed (non-folding) rear from Larue Tactical. The Aimpoint mount is also from Larue Tactical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am by no means an AR-guru, but if you have no experience as you state, IMHO your best bet is probably to get a basic, inexpensive AR or good copy and start playing around with it. Learn how to field-strip, clean, maintain, and shoot it. See how it operates and how the parts interact before you try to build one.

Thanks, I was leaning towards that. I've been looking at Stag Arms rifles.

The Federal government does not consider any AR15 unsuitable for mere civilians to possess. Some people IN the .gov may see it that way, but not the US Code.

September 19 2004 was quite some time ago.

Barely three years is hardly "quite some time ago." The fact that the guns were, as originally configured, illegal for a decade is sufficient proof for my point and refutation of yours.

The fact that the guns were, as originally configured, illegal for a decade is sufficient proof for my point and refutation of yours.
You really are a pompous ass aren't you?

Ten years out of nearly 45? That makes you right, huh?

You said the federal government CONSIDERS the AR15 to be bla bla bla...... Present tense. You're wrong and pedantic.

Enjoy your neutered guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my LTC comes in, an AR will be #2 on my list of immediate acquisitions. I've been tossing around the idea of building vs. buying. Do you think someone who has no experience building or even disassembling/reassembling guns like me could build their own AR without too many headaches? Should I just buy one and learn everything about it before even attempting?

As a personal matter... I'd go with building over buying, even for a first time AR owner.

They're ridiculously simple to build from the ground up... even my mother could do it (okay, maybe a bit of exaggeration there [smile]).

Start with a stripped lower and pre-built upper and you can't go wrong (other than the inevitable spring and detent sproinging off into the abyss never to be seen again).

Ignoring that advice, you can build your own upper, but it will require a few specialized tools (maybe $60.00 or so), to assemble.

It ends up costing a little more in the long run, but there's really no putting a price on the knowledge you'll gain and having the satisfaction of building it yourself.

Thanks, I was leaning towards that. I've been looking at Stag Arms rifles.

My FFL likes the Stag Arms products quite a bit and has pushed them with his customers. I have a pre-ban Colt A2 w/20" barrel and a post-ban Bushmaster A3 w/16" barrel and like both of them.

Start Here:

The AR-15 Volume 2 By Patrick Sweeney

Lots of good info for $20

Also can't stress using ARFCOM as a reference enough. You will find everything from brand reviews, to specs, to complete step by step instructions for a build on there.

Bare in mind if you are in MA that we still have to deal with the AWB rules here. No collapsible/adjustable stocks, flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc. Also if you run across a 30-rnd mag make sure it was built before Sept 13th 1994. Bear in mind mags can be rebuilt if they are pre-ban but not working properly.

zOmbi,
Do yourself a favor and seriously consider buying a pre-ban AR lower.
It might cost you a couple of hundred more now, but it will save you the aggravation of not being able to set it up (Ma AWB bullshit[angry]) the way you want when the time comes. Especially if you want to replicate a military configuration.
Gary

So if you have a pre-ban lower, you can have an adjustable stock and a bayonet lug, am I right? What about having to weld the brake to the barrel? I was looking at the Stag-15 Model 2T Pre-Ban, is this MA compliant?

I want to build a 6.8SPC AR, so I was thinking I will just buy a pre-ban AR outright for my first rifle, and then start building a 6.8SPC from scratch after that.

OK, guys... what's the difference between a stripped lower and a non-stripped one? For that matter, other than the serial number, what is IN the lower? The upper? I'm guessing that things like the trigger group are not in a stripped lower? What's not in a stripped upper - the bolt?

I really wasn't kidding when I said I needed a primer. Handguns I know... ARs I don't.

Jose, Erebus... good posts - that's the kind of basic info I need. Thanks! As I said, I know nothing about them and need to start from the very beginning.

z0mbi said:
I want to build a 6.8SPC AR
I don't think 6.8 was out prior to the ban in 1994 so I don't think you can find a pre-ban 6.8 lower.

dwarven1 said:
OK, guys... what's the difference between a stripped lower and a non-stripped one?

Complete AR15 Lower
ar15completelower.jpg

Stripped AR15 Lower
ar15strippedlower.jpg

You can generally select from a few different stalks and grips when buying a complete lower. There are many different stalks and a few different pistol grips available at various prices. Most places selling complete lowers do not have a full compliment of stalks and grips to choose from when buying a complete lower. Biggest advantage of a complete lower is it just needs to have an upper attached and it's ready to go. Disadvantages is that you will have only a few different setups to choose from.

You will save some money if you buy a stripped lower and assemble it yourself. A stripped lower is just the frame there are no internals installed at all. So you have to buy all the components and install them yourself. Biggest advantage of buying a stripped lower and building it yourself is you get to mix and match any components you choose. Biggest disadvantage is that there is more work involved and you are responsible for everything you put into it.

Now not all lowers/frames are created equal. There are dozens of different brands of lowers but only about 6 companies mass producing them. They just get different brand names stamped on them. Check ARFCOM for the details on which ones are best. It's mostly cosmetic differences. but there are some minor(IMHO) functional differences. Asking who makes the best AR lower is like asking who makes the best 1911. There are custom AR lower manufacturers but they are like custom 1911 manufactures.... EXPENSIVE. The beauty is that for the most part anyones components will fit any lower.

Again if you are going to be building an AR15 get familiar with ARFCOM and learn where to look for info as a lot is already on there. Just like everywhere else they get sick of the same questions being asked over and over.

Welcome to the world of The Black Rifle. If you are the type that loves to customize and play mix n match on your fun guns you have just hit the mother load.

Back
Top Bottom