• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jim Zumbo of Outdoor Life labels AR-15s Terrorist Rifles

host quasi-apology completely skirts the "terrorist" comment..
hes done..
all done.

some notable posts in the last hour
===========

ALL - Jim Zumbo in NO WAY speaks for Remington! His opinions are his own. We at Remington take our 2nd Ammendment Rights extremely seriously and ourselves market and manufacturer a AR based 308 rifle. Remington Arms supports the lawful use of all firearms by thier owners in whatever legal manner they choose. We at Remington feel that it is the diversity of our tastes and uses of fireaems that should also be the binding element that assists us all in defending the rights granted to us by our fore fathers.

Rest assured that remington not only does not support jim's view, we totally disagree! I have no explaination for his perspective.

I proudly own AR's and support everyones right to do so!

What makes me sick is how quickly people on the internet have called to boycott Remington. All Jim said was he was hunting with our people! This is normal course in our industry. How else do people think we field test? with writers.

Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars to defend your rights and how quickly the thanks is threat and boycott! Please feel Free to post that remington does not agree with Zumbo in any way shape or form and we will assess our relationship with him accordingly.

Tommy Millner
CEO and President

Dont look good for ya Jimmy boy ....

==============

How sad.
Trust me when I say you'll never see this sort of nonsense in our magazines. Frankly, I have often noticed these sorts of uninformed observations among many "outdoor" writers who only focus on a narrow aspect of shooting and hunting, and ignore the total picture — especially regarding gun rights and personal defense issues. To ignore the rights of our peers is folly, of the worst sort.

Shame on you, Jim.

Roy Huntington, Editor, American Handgunner Magazine
Editorial Director
FMG Magazines
American Handgunner, GUNS, Shooting Industry and American COP

Last edited:
I have to reiterate a comment I've been seeing all over the web today concerning this issue -- how fast this thing blew up and flamed and burned. It's truly mind-boggling! If we could mobilize this fast under a true legislative threat to the 2nd Amendment, we could be a very formidable force! The web in its current efficient form wasn't around in 1994.....

Last edited:
Snake eye, did Tommy Millner actually post this?:

If so, wow! One of the most powerful people in the gun industry. Zumbo is done. For good.

with the anonymity of the net theres no way to know conclusivly, but considering the tens if not hundreds of thousands of emails addressed to remington my intuition says yea, it was him..
they need to have the remington banners pulled from the top and bottom of the page. FAST...

Last edited:
GRRR!!!
the brady site has quoted him

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods.
IM GOING TO PUKE...
what hes done can never be undone...traitor..

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=e54adf07-f3e3-41c4-b761-304a7318e1a4

wreckjn5.jpg

i wanted a pic of a trainwreck but this will do..

Last edited:
GRRR!!!
the brady site has quoted him

IM GOING TO PUKE...
what hes done can never be undone...traitor..

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=e54adf07-f3e3-41c4-b761-304a7318e1a4

wreckjn5.jpg

i wanted a pic of a trainwreck but this will do..

The fact that the Brady site has picked up on his comments should only accelerate his burning at the stake. I hope this whole thing creates a massive stink. The comment that tele_mark added above though should give us hope. Any time somebody publishes this type of drivel they should be shut down in the same way Dumbo is being shut down. While we as gun owners don't have much economic sway over Brady Center types - we hold massive economic power over gun manufactuers and people like Dumbo. Dumbo should be brought down and brought down hard as an abject lesson to anybody who might be tempted to try this again.

Indeed. His apology did nothing but fan the flames of my disgust of him. I hope that this was a foolhearty action that scars him for a long time, that constantly reminds him, and "Elmer Fudds" who have no issue taking away our semi-autos and handguns so they can keep their hunting rifles and trap guns, how fragile the 2nd Amendment has become.

Grrrr

-Weer'd Beard

The Brady Campaign is brutally on target on one comment, and it can't be denied, they're spot on:

His statement is obviously a forced and insincere retraction brought about by the financial pressure of the Gun Lobby.

The only reason this POS reacted is that his boss(s) are on his case. If this has happened out of the public limelight, and only a few had called him on it, he would've arrogantly told us to f*** off.

This shithole lives high on the hog off the 2A in a Free State, selling it off for his gain, while we behind the Iron Curtain wallow in the shit that he and his ilk has caused to avalanche down on our heads through their traitorous actions.

Somethings not right.

A few days ago one of the pro-gun DU'ers posted a discalimer over there about the Brady blog being hacked...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x134243

OK, I did NOT do this...

but somebody apparently hacked the Brady Campaign Myspace page, and put up a piece there that I had posted here and on the High Road. Looks like they used the THR version (but THR didn't have anything to do with it either).

Just so everybody knows, I firmly believe that the Brady Campaign has a right to freely express their opinions on their web site and myspace page without being hacked or harassed, so whoever put that up, please take it down. Thank you...

Now, the "blogger" is posting comments that seem inappropriate or unprofessional for a spokesperson for a highly visable anti-gun/lobbying organization.

The "blogger" also seems familiar with ar15.com and the code words posted there. [thinking]

Edit: sorry, wrong link posted.

Last edited:
My comments to Mr. Zumbo:

"I must be living in a vacuum."

Truer words were never spoken. You sir ARE living in a vacuum if you don't understand what is going on on the world, both of firearms and of American politics. The AR-15 platform is an excellent vehicle for many purposes and to try to deny others the ability, yes even the RIGHT to own and use these fine rifles in the pursuit of legal uses is a travesty. Instead of being lumped with millions of honest and upstanding Americans who own and use AR-15s honestly you seem to prefer to be lumped with the Pelosi's, Schumers, and McCarthy's of this world who claim that these millions of americans are somehow not to be trusted. Today they want to take away these so-called "assault weapons". Tomorrow they will come after the .17 caliber sniper rifles that you seem to be enamored of now.

I really don't want to be insulting but you truly are representative of the "useful idiot" who would do the work of our common enemy, the gun-banners and take away our freedom to own firearms one gun at a time. I do not hunt but never for one second would I side with those who would ban hunting.

I hope that you will re-consider your words and your attitude towards the people who happen to own a different rifle than you use.

Posted by: F Price at Feb 18, 2007 6:10:56 PM

Somethings not right.

A few days ago one of the pro-gun DU'ers posted a discalimer over there about the Brady blog being hacked...

www.bradycampaign.org/bradyreport/2007/february/mobilizing/index.php#story2

Now, the "blogger" is posting comments that seem inappropriate or unprofessional for a spokesperson for a highly visable anti-gun/lobbying organization.

The "blogger" also seems familiar with ar15.com and the code words posted there. [thinking]

You're right, something's weird.

The Brady Campaign is brutally on target on one comment, and it can't be denied, they're spot on:

The only reason this POS reacted is that his boss(s) are on his case. If this has happened out of the public limelight, and only a few had called him on it, he would've arrogantly told us to f*** off.

This shithole lives high on the hog off the 2A in a Free State, selling it off for his gain, while we behind the Iron Curtain wallow in the shit that he and his ilk has caused to avalanche down on our heads through their traitorous actions.

I don't think they are on target. While his retraction might be due to financial reasons - it's not because of pressure from the gun lobby - it's because of pressure from US. We wrote the blog entries. We wrote the emails to the manufacturers that are supporting him etc. In the end it is US who are sending our hard earned dollars off to the NRA and supporting them too. This is one thing the Brady bunch and their ilk just don't seem to get.

One of the big powers we have is financial. We should use it like the weapon that it is to bring down anybody who screws with the 2nd amendment. In my heart I hope that this little incident is the start of something bigger - I hope Dumbo goes down, and I hope it puts the fear of god and financial ruin into anybody who might dare to screw with RKBA. Let him apoligize - and don't let him get away with it. I read the apology and it sounds like bullshit to me. If for no other reason than as a professional writer he should have known better than just go off all half-cocked at his keyboard - which is where he makes his living.

Very well-written, Calsdad, and you're of course right! As much as Zumbo would've surely told us to pound sand if the reaction would've been smaller, so would have been the reaction of his Boss(s). It indeed was us collectively who swarmed that site today in what was perhaps an unprecedented shitstorm, that brought about a public retraction within hours of a post -- on a Sunday. Honestly, I've never seen something move this fast -- the post, the reaction, the distancing by his superiors, and the retraction, all in a matter or hours.

This Internet is dangerous - it should be regulated!

yup , its still only a quiet sunday night.. wait till all the desk jockeys go to work tomorrow (or wednesday) and login to their favorite gun site and see this for the first time..
its going to happen all over..

ZumboHeadstone.jpg

Snake eye, did Tommy Millner actually post this?:

If so, wow! One of the most powerful people in the gun industry. Zumbo is done. For good.

Do you REALLY believe the president of Remington is so ignorant he can't spell "amendment" correctly? Or "their?" Or any of the other common words misspelled in this supposed release from a corporation with attorneys and publicists on its staff? [rolleyes]

My BS meter is on high alert.....

Scriv.... I'm looking up so many words before I post now because of you, in awhile I should be able to spell. I see my ammendment is only 1 "M"....cool. [smile]

So I guess those RRA and bushmaster target rifles they product are just fiction. I would have expected that type of comment from a uninformed member of the media. I think most here expected much more which tends to cause even a greater hostile response.

Last edited:
I am encouraged by the reaction, degree of participation, and sponsor response, to the article.
Perhaps a few fence sitters, among our legislators, will finally realize the we have simply had enough of this crap.

Informed shooters - a class from which Zumbo and his fellow Fudds are obviously excluded - will recall that the CMP used to provide AR-15s to clubs and sold off its rifles to individuals when it ended that program.

Evidently the CMP is a "terrorist organization."

Wait 'til Zumbo finds out it still sells REAL military weaponry.........

We need to spread this kind of stuff around whatever the problem may be....forum to forum. If we could get this same type of outpouring when it comes to our law makers, we might pick up some ground.

Already been doing that....

I cross-posted to another forum that I check frequently and one of the people there had this to say:

The guy is a jerk ! I met him one time in Sacramento at the Sportsman Show a number of years ago . He was hawking his cook books for some outrageous amount . He had always been one of my favorite writers until that day . I mentioned to him that I lived very close to a friend of his he had mentioned many times in his column at Outdoor Life . General Chuck Yeager who had also been in my business many times .
Zumbo looked me square in the eye and said " Are you going to buy my cook book or just talk "
I was done ever respecting him again and would not walk across the street to piss on the jerk if his guts were on fire . Let him burn . He deserves it and OL will do much better without him .
His stories are a "made up joke" . Most hunters never have a chance to hunt the private ranches he hunts on for free .

A 12 year old kid could kill Elk, hunting his style .Where someone drives the private Elk herd passed you . Thats not hunting !!!
I am willing to bet money ,I could "out hunt" Jim Zumbo on his best day and my worst .

Apparently he was pissing people off long before this - I think he really stepped on a hornets nest this time though...

Back
Top Bottom