• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jim Leavell, known for being next to Oswald when he was assasinated, dead at 99

Thats really not a fair topic headline. This was back in 1963, and I have been in that area where the picture was taken and you could at that time walk down the ramp from the street on either side of the police department without being challenged. Jim Leavell was just doing his job and they really weren't thinking anything would happen in the basement of the police department. Jim did serve his country too. RIP

Okay folks, you’re right, I was wrong and I’ll own up to that sarcasm being out of line and have changed the title. I can’t delete the thread so that’s the best I can do.

I was very much unaware that he was a Pearl Harbor survivor and therefore a veteran.

Apologies to you Sir, RIP

Last edited:
Okay folks, you’re right, I was wrong and I’ll own up to that sarcasm being out of line and have changed the title. I can’t delete the thread so that’s the best I can do.

I was very much unaware that he was a Pearl Harbor survivor and therefore a veteran.

Apologies to you Sir, RIP
Thank you very much for changing the title.
And the suit and Stetson was a source of pride for the detectives. Hell it is Dallas, Texas EVERYONE wears a Stetson and boots

Thank you very much for changing the title.
And the suit and Stetson was a source of pride for the detectives. Hell it is Dallas, Texas EVERYONE wears a Stetson and boots

You’re welcome and thanks to you and everyone who commented calling me out as well as those who liked those comments for accepting my attempts at making it right.

I have a little story related to Jim.
When I lived in NM, my neighbor told me his grandfather had worked as a security guard years ago, after he retired in the Dallas area. He carried a 2" model 10-6 and had to qualify with it annually. Having older eyes he was having trouble sighting it in so he went to a detective friend for coaching, and that was Jim. Jim coached him and, as an aide, painted the front sight with white nail polish. He then was able to qualify. My neighbor had the gun passed down to him but couldn't shoot it well; he wanted a .22 instead, so we traded. I have that 10-6 and the front sight is still painted white.

I knew Jim, met him back in the 90's at the Federal Reserve we both worked for brinks.Jim like many retired cops would work for Brinks ridding the new money.They would ride the brinks truck to the airport then ride the airplane to whatever State that shipment was going to, then ride the brinks truck to that Federal Reserve wait till it was counted then fly home.He was a very nice person laid back,and soft spoken still wore a hat just like the one in the picture.Here is a story he told me about a gun he had that day. One day he caught a guy in a robbery who was carrying a 1911 with a nice set of grips,so when he went to court he asked the Judge before the case if he could have the grips from the gun.After the case the judge asked Jim into his chambers,and the gun was sitting on the desk.The judge told him that he could have them,so Jim reaches into his pocket to get his knife to remove the grips from the gun.As he was to remove the grips the judge told him not to take the grips off just take the whole gun.Well the day of that picture he was carrying that gun. RIP Jim.

Jim was from Northeast Texas, Red River County. He was the great(?)-uncle to an officer I worked with in Texarkana for many years. According to my colleague, Jim was haunted all his life about not saving Oswald.

Back
Top Bottom