• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jewish Gun Owners

Before I start, thank you one & all for listening to me kvetch. I'm Jewish, as is my wife. For at least the last 18 months, I've been trying to convince my betrothed that gun ownership is safe and can be an enjoyable family activity. The problem is that my wife is a dyed in the wool, NE lib-type who views all guns as "bad" and civvie ownership of guns as "evil." Further complicating matters, I know two other Jewish gun owners, and my wife thinks they're both pigs. We'll save that irony for another time. My question is this . . . is anyone on this forum a Jewish gun owner? I'd love to meet at a public place, and perhaps introduce my wife. I can be reached by email at [email protected].

Thanks

Does she think your friends are pigs because they are gun owners or because they are pigs?

Best of luck friend. I've been down the goy road, but not for 18 months. Don’t forget that she doesn’t have to like it, just not be disrespectful of your choices.

B

Although not Jewish (they're pretty agnostic, like their dad), my two daughters are gun users, and they would be happy to let her see that guns aren't just for men OR pigs.

There are a few of us on here! Dwarven1 and myself in particular.

I'm afraid that simply meeting another Jewish gun owner isn't likely to change a flaming lib into a conservative!

It took my Wife about 27 years to see another side to the picture. However, she still waffles occasionally when she watches the garbage that passes for "news" on TV.

Truly the best way (IMNSHO) to deal with this is to introduce her to another FEMALE gun owner, in particular one that has had some harrowing life experiences which changed that person from anti to pro! Women relate a lot better to other women, than any Jew relating to another Jew!

Good luck and realize that it's a long road for this journey.

BTW, JPFO is a pretty radical org and NOT likely to convince someone who is anti!

I spent a day (at a pro-gun rights conference) with one of the top honchos in JPFO back many years ago. After the numerous discussions I had with him during that day and subsequent research, I determined that I wanted nothing to do with that org.

I agree with what Len and Arioch say about meeting another female.

I would also consider that the two of you take a Basic Safety Course. MRA (Mass Rifle Association) in Woburn runs a class on the 2nd Saturday of every month, and one of its instructors is a woman. Sitting in on a class with a woman instructor can make a big difference when it comes to attitude towards the class, especially if they could even chat a bit before the class starts. Just something to consider.

I don't think being jewish is the common denominator or the problem here, its her liberal NE upbringing and probably lifelong brainwashing that is the problem.

Guns are tools, creative forms of art to some, wonders of mechanical marvel to others. One thing they are not and cannot ever be is EVIL. Evil is a state of being that only an animate object can possess, usually reserved for human beings. Animals act out of instinct, humans act with deliberation, however good or bad it may be....its still deliberation and their actions are based upon it.

Would your wife think the same of a 12" kitchen knife? Although it has been used to prepare many a good meal in the kitchens of millions of people, it can still run you through if it is in the hands of an EVIL person who uses it
for an ill intent.

How about that Louisville Slugger baseball bat that has provided so many millions of kids and adults with wonderful games of baseball and softball?
It can still bash your skull in if in the hands of a determined person.

No disrespect intended but the human mind is like a store.....its of no use to anyone if its not "OPEN" at least some of the time.

There's a few of us women here that I am sure would be more than willing to take her shooting. I wish you luck and maybe she will come around.

I started by asking my wife what we would do if we heard an intruder in the house. We discussed having a hardwired phone, a lock on the bedroom doors, a baseball bat painted flat black next to the bed.

It's a short mental journey from there to considering other defensive preparations as a last resort.

My wife is Jewish, I am not. She is from Queens, NY with a strong liberal background, as well as, the NYC mentality that only cops and criminals have guns. A few years back when I wanted to get into shooting I asked her if she would be willing to give it a try. Once, on a cruise back in the early 80's we had shot skeet off the ship and she thought it was fun. I did not approach it from a self defense position, but rather as a hobby that we could do together. I go to yoga class every Wednesday night with her, going shooting together is really not much different.

We took our safety class together, applied for our permits together and joined a gun club together. It became something that we could share. At the same time my business partner and his wife (both Jewish) also got into shooting at our urging. We met very nice people at every turn and she learned that the vast majority of shooters are truly gentle, kind and extremely civilized individuals and not the anti semetic red necks that she had envisioned. Initially she got a restricted LTC A, but now wants to upgrade to "all lawful purposes". Not that long ago I don't think she ever would have considered carrying a gun. Now she actually encourages me to carry and wishes she could.

I think the key was the gradual transition and the fact that it was fun and we were together. My wife is also a school teacher and an artist and I believe that she a much better amabassador for shooting then I am. I do not really agree with the tactic of pointing out the need to be armed or the self defense aspect, I think it should be fun. The rest will come in time.

By the way, we were at the range yesterday and she not only shot her Colt Detective Special .38, but my .357 magnum and .44 Special. A great afternoon!

Divorce her! There are plenty more fish in the sea. You don't need her, she needs you! [grin]

Before I start, thank you one & all for listening to me kvetch. I'm Jewish, as is my wife. For at least the last 18 months, I've been trying to convince my betrothed that gun ownership is safe and can be an enjoyable family activity. The problem is that my wife is a dyed in the wool, NE lib-type who views all guns as "bad" and civvie ownership of guns as "evil." Further complicating matters, I know two other Jewish gun owners, and my wife thinks they're both pigs. We'll save that irony for another time. My question is this . . . is anyone on this forum a Jewish gun owner? I'd love to meet at a public place, and perhaps introduce my wife. I can be reached by email at [email protected].

Thanks

I started by asking my wife what we would do if we heard an intruder in the house. We discussed having a hardwired phone, a lock on the bedroom doors, a baseball bat painted flat black next to the bed...

Doesn't everybody have a hardwired phone? I guess I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Don't all bedroom doors have locks?

You mean one of these? Cold Steel® Brooklyn Smasher™

BTW, JPFO is a pretty radical org and NOT likely to convince someone who is anti!

I spent a day (at a pro-gun rights conference) with one of the top honchos in JPFO back many years ago. After the numerous discussions I had with him during that day and subsequent research, I determined that I wanted nothing to do with that org.

I'm surprised you think that way of JPFO, their activities seem to promote firearm ownership. Is it their anti-establishment proclivities that turn you off?

Before I start, thank you one & all for listening to me kvetch. I'm [INSERT RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION OF CHOICE HERE], as is my wife. For at least the last 18 months, I've been trying to convince my betrothed that gun ownership is safe and can be an enjoyable family activity. The problem is that my wife is a dyed in the wool, NE lib-type who views all guns as "bad" and civvie ownership of guns as "evil." Further complicating matters, I know two other [SEE ABOVE] gun owners, and my wife thinks they're both pigs. We'll save that irony for another time. My question is this . . . is anyone on this forum a [SEE ABOVE] gun owner? I'd love to meet at a public place, and perhaps introduce my wife. I can be reached by email at [email protected].

Thanks

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but I have taken the liberty of editing your OP. As mentioned in other responses, your problem is not with your religious beliefs or those of your wife. You need to take a more pragmatic approach to the family firearm debate. Start with the sporting aspects and gradually advance your level of ownership. You can not convince an anti overnight-it may take years- but it can be done. Good luck and remember that religion is likely a very very small part of why your spouse maintains her anti-bias. You'll also get much support here as well...

Chris

I think I would start with her own History.......Starting around 1938 or so.....

Massnut, count me in as another Jewish gun owner. I have two reasons (aside from the sheer FUN of shooting!) that I am a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment:

1: a friend of mine was killed in NYC by someone who should not have been armed (ex-con). Harv was an ex-Ranger - disarmed by the Sullivan Act. Had Harv been armed, he'd have saved NYC the cost of the trial.

2: another friend of mine... a little old Jewish guy with a number tattoed on his arm. He told me that his son was nuts for having flintlock and wheelock pistols. "Get a REAL gun! Get a Colt .45!" Great advice that I've followed. I've also visited the Yad Vashem (Holocaust Memorial) in Israel. That WILL. NOT. happen to me.

I think what The Goose said is probably the most effective way to gently introduce your spouse to guns. If it's a fun, community activity, something she can think of as "doing something enjoyable with her family and/or friends", there will be less trepidation and knee-jerk fear. And having another female involved, someone who is obviously the type of person that we have on this forum rather than a yahoo, will also help tremendously.

Thanks

Why does being Jewish have such a predominant role in your explanation here? I understand the NE lib mentality, however, I don't see what being Jewish has to do with it.

What do you mean by this? I understand what Goy means-but do you? I just don't want to misinterpret what you're saying here.

"In modern Hebrew and Yiddish, the word goy may be used to refer to members of the Gentile nations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goy

I couldn't figure out what being Jewish had to do with it either, but I do understand what it is like to get a S.O. to be open minded. If I butchered the term blame it on the Irish Catholic in me. [wink] I guess some might say it is pejorative but I don't see it that way.

B

Thanks

I know a female jewish soldier who was a gun owner until last month. She will be again soon.

You may need a new wife.

Goose has it right. Take it slow and see if you can get her to take a course
so that she can get her permit. I asked my wife to take a course specifically
to get her permit and although I had my ltc-a I said that I would also take
the course with her. We both took it at the Andover Fish & Game some
years ago. In the course of the day she met a lot of gun owners and came
away with very positive impression of the gun owning community. She now
asks me when we go to my camp if I am going to bring the pistol that she
loves to shoot.

TBP

Back
Top Bottom