• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jewish Group To Sue New York For Banning Guns In Houses Of Worship

SFC13557

NES Member
"The New York State Jewish Gun Club plans to sue New York for banning firearms in places of worship, calling it “unconstitutional” in an interview with the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Tzvi Waldman, the founder of the New York State Jewish Gun Club, is working with a civil rights attorney to challenge a provision of New York’s new Concealed Carry Improvement Act (CCIA), prohibiting congregants from carrying guns inside places of worship among other locations it deems “sensitive.” He told the DCNF he is “very confident” the law will “definitely” be overturned, calling it “unconstitutional on so many levels.”

I hope they stand on principle and do not settle for "Unlawful unless the house of worship has granted specific permission".

LDS in UT got a temple ban that it is allowed to exempt people from but, in general, plays the "guns for me but not for thee" game.

It will be hard for Kathy and her anti-gun fellow Dems to condemn the Jewish leaders even thou we know they hate them for not bowing to NYC Mandates.
I'm Jewish and I strongly dislike the expression "Jewish leader". It seems every other day I hear or read about some schmuck whose name is totally meaningless to me being portrayed as a Jewish leader. Moses was a Jewish leader, everybody else...not really.
Rant finished.

I hope they stand on principle and do not settle for "Unlawful unless the house of worship has granted specific permission".

LDS in UT got a temple ban that it is allowed to exempt people from but, in general, plays the "guns for me but not for thee" game.
I am Catholic but I knew a number of Jews who were quite anti-gun. I was confused about this, considering how unarmed Jews were slaughtered like helpless sheep during World War 2 and subjected to violent anti-Semitism to this very day. Thankfully, not all Jews feel this way and it is good to know that some are trying to preserve our 2A rights.

I'm Jewish and I strongly dislike the expression "Jewish leader". It seems every other day I hear or read about some schmuck whose name is totally meaningless to me being portrayed as a Jewish leader. Moses was a Jewish leader, everybody else...not really.
Rant finished.
Maybe they should refer to them as ‘austere religious scholars?’

Jews have their own quasi police force in NYC- the Shomrin. Separation of synagogue and state?
Incorrect.

Shomrim is a social organization of law enforcement officers and is politically active in NY.

I was the VP (and acting president) of the Shomrim of Massachusetts for a number of years. I traveled to Israel with Shomrim (all chapters across the US) where 185 of us were guests of the IDF and Israeli Police back in 1989. I've met and talked with a fair number of NY officers who were Shomrim members (most on the Israel trip were from various NYC departments).

Shomrim is very much like the Emerald Society for Irish law enforcement officers. Neither is a police department, both are made up of law enforcement officers.

I am Catholic but I knew a number of Jews who were quite anti-gun. I was confused about this, considering how unarmed Jews were slaughtered like helpless sheep during World War 2 and subjected to violent anti-Semitism to this very day. Thankfully, not all Jews feel this way and it is good to know that some are trying to preserve our 2A rights.
A rabbi I used to shoot with had a clause in his temple contract - "The Rabbi shallnot carry a gun in the temple".

A Jew I shoot with regularly was approached by temple leadership and private told to please carry a gun but don't let anyone see it.

Rant finished.
I feel the same when they talk about Christian leaders - especially when the person is widely condemned within actual Bible teaching churches.

Yep, I have new Jewish family members by a siblings marriage. They reside in and around NYC. The topic of guns came up one day and they were generally open minded but they all looked at me like I was an alien, they just couldn’t process why someone owns a gun. I didn’t go there with the Holocaust thing but in the back of my mind was thinking, “if my people were persecuted for 5,000 years, I’d make sure I had access to guns”. There seems to be 2 camps, those that choose to be in charge of their own destiny to the extent possible and those who choose not to be. You would think after the synogogue shooting in PA a few years ago, there’d be a major outcry over this ban. If history has taught us anything, nothing is safer than a gun free school zone…

Incorrect.

Shomrim is a social organization of law enforcement officers and is politically active in NY.

I was the VP (and acting president) of the Shomrim of Massachusetts for a number of years. I traveled to Israel with Shomrim (all chapters across the US) where 185 of us were guests of the IDF and Israeli Police back in 1989. I've met and talked with a fair number of NY officers who were Shomrim members (most on the Israel trip were from various NYC departments).

Shomrim is very much like the Emerald Society for Irish law enforcement officers. Neither is a police department, both are made up of law enforcement officers.
From what I read, there is a Shomrim neighborhood watch group in the Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn. It is probably similar to Curtis Sliwa's Guardian Angel's safety patrol. Due to the notoriously strict weapons laws in NY and especially in NYC, these groups are likely to be unarmed. Guardian Angels were, however, trained in the martial arts. Not sure about the others.

Yep, I have new Jewish family members by a siblings marriage. They reside in and around NYC. The topic of guns came up one day and they were generally open minded but they all looked at me like I was an alien, they just couldn’t process why someone owns a gun. I didn’t go there with the Holocaust thing but in the back of my mind was thinking, “if my people were persecuted for 5,000 years, I’d make sure I had access to guns”. There seems to be 2 camps, those that choose to be in charge of their own destiny to the extent possible and those who choose not to be. You would think after the synogogue shooting in PA a few years ago, there’d be a major outcry over this ban. If history has taught us anything, nothing is safer than a gun free school zone…

I'm Jewish - and I don't understand how any Jew walks around unarmed.

My mother was born in Vienna, fled there just before Hitler invaded it. Her father disappeared, couldn't get on the same ship that she did, was supposed to go to Israel, then jump to the US. Nobody knows what happened to him. My godparents had tatoos on their arms, serial numbers from a concentration camp. They survived - but were never quite right. Their behavior which confused me as a kid makes sense to me now. Food stashed in the house in odd places, a handgun in the safe on top of the stamps.

I don't leave the house without a firearm - and within my house a firearm is always within a couple of steps.

My standard answer whenever anyone asks why I carry a gun is....I'm Jewish.

A rabbi I used to shoot with had a clause in his temple contract - "The Rabbi shallnot carry a gun in the temple".

A Jew I shoot with regularly was approached by temple leadership and private told to please carry a gun but don't let anyone see it.
How awful is that, especially when anti-semitism has been on the rise. I have Jewish relatives and I'll be damned if I ever let harm come to them!

I am Catholic but I knew a number of Jews who were quite anti-gun
Yep. I don't get it either. I suppose one way to feel less victimized is to make sure everyone around you is a victim... Thank God, there are Jews who refuse to be victims!

You would think after the synogogue shooting in PA a few years ago
My rabbi owns a 38 Special and carries it everywhere. There is a group of congregants that always carry for service. We've discussed it as a group and always have one or two placed in strategic places to have good lines of fire... Meanwhile, a whole bunch of members of the congregation keeps saying that guns are a terrible idea and that renting a police officer to stand outside the temple is enough.

"Jews have been oppressed for thousands of years. In every corner of this earth, you can trace our tears..." - "Young Jews be Proud" by 2 Live Jews.

"Oh , that could never happen here " is what you will hear from some as a reason .
No one in pre Hitler Germany thought it would either.
If you went back in time and tried to warn them they would have thought you were insane.
No sane mind could have conceived of what was about to happen.
Now we have the luxury of history to tell us that yes it can.
Evil didn't die with the Nazis.
People need to remove their heads from their asses .

Thinking back to earlier in my life, here are some things that I would have been graded "C" or below for predicting on any paper I wrote for a high school class:
  • Dual-docket federal court, with a public and a secret list of trials
  • Secret trials
  • Secret prisons in foreign countries to avoid US law
  • US using interrogation techniques that would be called torture if use by the enemy on our troops
  • FISA court
  • Near universal recording of phone call metadata
  • Stingray communications interceptors for law enforcement
  • Criminalization of a common carrier providing telecom service not monitorable from a remote government location
  • Involuntarily granting a specialized de-facto security clearance on US citizens and making it a crime not to maintain secrecy of stuff you didn't want to hear ("National security letters")
So yeah, "It can't happen here" rings kind of hollow.

Thinking back to earlier in my life, here are some things that I would have been graded "C" or below for predicting on any paper I wrote for a high school class:
  • Dual-docket federal court, with a public and a secret list of trials
  • Secret trials
  • Secret prisons in foreign countries to avoid US law
  • US using interrogation techniques that would be called torture if use by the enemy on our troops
  • FISA court
  • Near universal recording of phone call metadata
  • Stingray communications interceptors for law enforcement
  • Criminalization of a common carrier providing telecom service not monitorable from a remote government location
  • Involuntarily granting a specialized de-facto security clearance on US citizens and making it a crime not to maintain secrecy of stuff you didn't want to hear ("National security letters")
So yeah, "It can't happen here" rings kind of hollow.
If a "C" or below is all you would have received, consider yourself lucky. If you grew up during the time J. Edgar was omnipotent, you and your parents would probably have received a not-so-cordial visit by an FBI agent or two.

Back
Top Bottom