Jeweler in NYC shot to death

Gun control in NYC is working, right Bloomberg?!?

NEW YORK (AP) — A jewelry store worker was shot to death in a brazen midday robbery Wednesday in a shop on posh Madison Avenue, police said.

Two people were working at R.S. Durant at about 12:25 p.m. when a man in his 30s wearing a blue overcoat, gray slacks, sunglasses, a black wool hat and a scarf around his face came into the Upper East Side store and said he was robbing the place, police said.

The workers refused to fill two canvas bags the gunman brought, police said. The suspect took out the clip from his semiautomatic pistol and showed it to the employees, saying, "You think I'm kidding? This is real" before putting the clip back in and firing once, said NYPD spokesman Paul J. Browne.

Henry Menahem, 71, was hit once in the chest. The second worker, a 49-year-old man, asked if he could call 911 to help Menahem, but the gunman refused.

The store is only about 12 feet wide and about 20 feet deep and had jewelry cases hanging on the walls. The gunman smashed one of the cases and loaded bags with diamond necklaces and other jewels before fleeing south on Madison Avenue. No customers were in the store, located between 75th and 76th streets, at the time.

Police were still looking for the suspect. The victim was taken to Lenox Hill hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

A call to the Menahem home in Long Branch, N.J., was answered by a friend who said the family was "in total shock."

The neighborhood boasts rows of swanky boutiques and expensive jewelry shops and the incident occurred not far from the Whitney Museum of American Art. The area near the shop was cordoned off with yellow crime scene tape, but traffic was moving along Madison Avenue.

Carmen Fontanez, a private security guard who patrols the stretch of Madison Avenue, said a man was smoking in front of the store when a tall man wearing a ski mask and sunglasses pushed him inside and shut the door behind him.

The shooting happened very quickly, she said.

Other shopkeepers said R.S. Durant is a relatively new store and was about a year old. A shell casing from a 9-mm semiautomatic pistol was recovered at the scene.

Police have been in contact with the store's owner. It's not clear how much the stolen jewelry was worth.

Sounds terrible, but how did the shooting happen quickly if the robber had time to demand merchandise, take the 'clip' out of his gun display it to the clerks, re-insert it then shoot?

Do they mean the actual time it took for the bullet to leave the gun and enter the victim? Because yeah...no kidding.

Anyway, this has to be fake. Handguns aren't allowed in NYC.

Am I reading this right, the security gaurd that is local to that store saw someone from the store who was smoking outside get grabbed and shoved back inside the store by someone who was wearing a ski mask, sun glasses ... then shut the door behind them...................and he didnt even bother to look/help/think?

Well at least with microstamping, people will not get shot. Oh wait a minute....

Gun control in NYC is working, right Bloomberg?!?

NEW YORK (AP) — A jewelry store worker was shot to death in a brazen midday robbery Wednesday in a shop on posh Madison Avenue, police said.

Other shopkeepers said R.S. Durant is a relatively new store and was about a year old. A shell casing from a 9-mm semiautomatic pistol was recovered at the scene.

I think we have another mistake made by the press here. It should have been printed as a 9mm semi automatic AK47 empty bullet was recovered!

It is not a gun free zone. I use to bring gem stones in from Brazil. Under 2lb at the time required no Gov't import tax. I use to carry a Taurus PT92AF. 2 18 round mags and a 15 round mag. At the time all you had to do is show it was for Business. Still that way. It does help to have family and friends that are NYPD. I would leave a shop w/ between $2000.00 and $4000.00 every 2 weeks. My take was 1/2. Pay your taxes quarterly and it shows the necessity. That is federal, state and city tax. They don't want to loose taxes.

See? This wouldn't have happened if the criminal was only able to illegally obtain one of those bolt-action 9mm pistols.

My sympathy goes out to the victim and his family.
I would never work in a jewelry store without a firearm. Particularly in a large city.

My sympathy goes out to the victim and his family.
I would never work in a jewelry store without a firearm. Particularly in a large city.
Yes, my apologies and sympathies to the family for my jest, I lost track of what happened to start this discussion...

Regarding the propensity of NY and MA red/black (WRT to their refusal to issue LTC/CCW) towns to still allow carry if you move money around - I am flabbergasted at the repugnant idea that the life of someone carry a lot of money is worth more than the life of someone attacked more randomly. As the victim of a "random attack" many years ago, I can assure that my life is not worth less than someone who carries large sums of cash...

This practice is disgusting...

I hope they catch this guy and fry him and my sypathies go out to the family.

Where I got my wedding rings this wouldn't happen. Every person who works there is visibly armed. In addition, there are always people in the back who can monitor the cameras and have a fully loaded AR, ready to pounce. Some of these guys will shoot even if the staff comply with all orders.

It is not a gun free zone. I use to bring gem stones in from Brazil. Under 2lb at the time required no Gov't import tax. I use to carry a Taurus PT92AF. 2 18 round mags and a 15 round mag. At the time all you had to do is show it was for Business. Still that way. It does help to have family and friends that are NYPD. I would leave a shop w/ between $2000.00 and $4000.00 every 2 weeks. My take was 1/2. Pay your taxes quarterly and it shows the necessity. That is federal, state and city tax. They don't want to loose taxes.

I understand that it wasn't a gun free zone by statute.

But, it was a de-facto gun free zone, either by the owner/manager's choice or by the difficulty NY puts folks through to get permitted.

Back
Top Bottom