• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

JetBlue jetblows flying with firearm from BOS

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
Whelp…the dickbag gate agent and his supervisor told me categorically that I couldn’t fly with ammunition in the same locked case as a firearm.

I guess I’ll be buying some 9mm when I get to my destination. Aholes completely ignoring TSA. I literally showed and read the regs. Anyway, on to RSW

SmartSelect_20230512_153407_Chrome.jpg

Sorry it happened to you. Not sure the agent was being a d*ck, just following company policy.

Edit:
They do have another contradictory policy under "prohibited items" that prohibits firearms from checked bags, so you are lucky the agent knew what he was doing.

Last edited:
You need to read both the TSA and airline rules. Specific airlines can and Jet Blue does, have a more stringent policy than the TSA. It's been like that as far back as I can recall.

AirTran, before they were bought out by SWA had an identical rule.

From the Jet Blue Contract of Carriage,

Passengers may check up to eleven (11) pounds of ammunition as checked baggage only. Ammunition must be housed separately from a locked firearm. The ammunition must be packaged in the manufacturer’s original container or other fiber, wood or metal box that provides for adequate cartridge separation and is specifically designed to carry ammunition. Under no circumstances may a Passenger carry ammunition on board an aircraft.

Whenever I fly I print out both the current TSA regulations and the appropriate page from the airlines Contract of Carriage.

Whelp…the dickbag gate agent and his supervisor told me categorically that I couldn’t fly with ammunition in the same locked case as a firearm.

I guess I’ll be buying some 9mm when I get to my destination. Aholes completely ignoring TSA. I literally showed and read the regs. Anyway, on to RSW

This has always been their policy. I travel often and never had any issues. United allows you to fly with firearms and ammo in the same locked case. On a positive note, you might be able to get some good ammo deals down in FL.

:D

IIRC, American puts giant tie wraps around the suitcase so you can't open it in the baggage claim area. Or something. SWA is pretty laid back about it, even in Boston. I may or may not find out what Delta's policy is like later this year.

IIRC, American puts giant tie wraps around the suitcase so you can't open it in the baggage claim area. Or something. SWA is pretty laid back about it, even in Boston. I may or may not find out what Delta's policy is like later this year.
The last time I flew Delta, they brought your bag to their office for pickup where they check your ID and wrap the bag in giant "zip ties of freedom" (as Dev so eloquently put it). If you use small enough padlocks that they can put the zip ties through the lock hasps, sometimes they'll do that instead.

what did you end up doing with the ammunition?

American didn't do the zip ties that I remember the last time I flew, but the suitcase went to the baggage office. Which they don't tell you, but the red/white striped tag is supposed to let you know that. Or more accurately, it lets the baggage handlers know. The passenger is just supposed to stand at the carousel and wait in vain for it to show up.

The last time I flew Delta, they brought your bag to their office for pickup where they check your ID and wrap the bag in giant "zip ties of freedom" (as Dev so eloquently put it). If you use small enough padlocks that they can put the zip ties through the lock hasps, sometimes they'll do that instead.
they still bring the bag to baggage office/counter but i havent seen zip locks. also cant have the ammo in the same locked case as the firearm.

they still bring the bag to baggage office/counter but i havent seen zip locks.
Interesting. I haven't flown with them since last year, that must be a relatively recent change. The do include the pickup part in their policy page now. I think that's a change.
  • All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm

also cant have the ammo in the same locked case as the firearm.
That is not Delta's policy.
  • Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges
  • Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
    • Pistol telescopes
    • Noise suppressors
    • A small pistol tool case
    • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

Interesting. I haven't flown with them since last year, that must be a relatively recent change. The do include the pickup part in their policy page now. I think that's a change.

That is not Delta's policy.
Probably not, but i don't keep my ammo with the unloaded firearm anyway so i didn't have to engage in a policy argument with the clerk which i'm pretty happy about lol

Don't get me started about JetBlue and baggage the last experience I had with their baggage on a direct flight was absolutely appalling basically they had a whole Chip Shot deal from one leg to get two bags from point A to point B and they managed to fail doing that I was actually beside pmyself I'm like I thought this problem died in the 80s. Basically the plane was overloaded and they took bags off and never put them back on the plane and never informed any of us. You would think nowadays with all the tech they would have at least send you a text message saying "hey your s***'s not on the plane" etc. I'm very tempted to dump them for Delta, even if it means connecting through SLC. On top of that I got the same plane both ways in the Wi-Fi was f****** broken on the same aircraft a week apart. Was kind of hilarious one of the flight attendants said oh no it started to work I'm like dude I was on this exact same airframe when I came here on a different flight number and it was broken then too..... 🤣 I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, they were yapping about buying Spirit or something and got blocked by the government I have to question the judgment of an airline that thinks that buying the shittiest airline in America is a value add for its customers...... wtaf.

Don't get me started about JetBlue and baggage the last experience I had with their baggage on a direct flight was absolutely appalling basically they had a whole Chip Shot deal from one leg to get two bags from point A to point B and they managed to fail doing that I was actually beside pmyself I'm like I thought this problem died in the 80s. Basically the plane was overloaded and they took bags off and never put them back on the plane and never informed any of us. You would think nowadays with all the tech they would have at least send you a text message saying "hey your s***'s not on the plane" etc. I'm very tempted to dump them for Delta, I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, . . .
Blah blah blah. Basically. Sounds like you were being a skinflint for even going near JetBlue. What did you expect you cheap prick. Laughing out loud.

Don't get me started about JetBlue and baggage the last experience I had with their baggage on a direct flight was absolutely appalling basically they had a whole Chip Shot deal from one leg to get two bags from point A to point B and they managed to fail doing that I was actually beside pmyself I'm like I thought this problem died in the 80s. Basically the plane was overloaded and they took bags off and never put them back on the plane and never informed any of us. You would think nowadays with all the tech they would have at least send you a text message saying "hey your s***'s not on the plane" etc. I'm very tempted to dump them for Delta, even if it means connecting through SLC. On top of that I got the same plane both ways in the Wi-Fi was f****** broken on the same aircraft a week apart. Was kind of hilarious one of the flight attendants said oh no it started to work I'm like dude I was on this exact same airframe when I came here on a different flight number and it was broken then too..... 🤣 I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, they were yapping about buying Spirit or something and got blocked by the government I have to question the judgment of an airline that thinks that buying the shittiest airline in America is a value add for its customers...... wtaf.
Jetblue ... or Jet lube? Aircrafts are horrible as far as any technology. Their movie selection blows, their WiFi blows, their monitos barely work and some don't even have a way to plug and charge a cellphone.

Not sure if this says JET LUBE, JET BLUE, JE T B LUE?

20230507_151938.jpg

Blah blah blah. Basically. Sounds like you were being a skinflint for even going near JetBlue. What did you expect you cheap prick. Laughing out loud.
JetBlue is the only airline that offers reliable direct flights to Vegas from Boston, so, no I wasn't flinting. I used to buy goddamn Mint seats on that route (cost me $1200 to 2 grand plus depending on flights) till they removed the A321 Neos etc from that route. The seats I was in on this plane I was basically between two orthopedic surgeons going to a conference they obviously weren't flinting either and they probably got f***** out of their bags too.

Delta actually would have only been marginally more expensive for first class (this time around) but they don't do that many direct flights to Vegas from BOS. Next time i will explore that option even if it means having a janky schedule.

OP, what did you honestly expect from Jet Blue?
Better than this
This was about direct flights.
The fare was $535 per ticket, hardly flinting.
BTW, the flight is 2 hours late already…so far

what did you end up doing with the ammunition?
I have no recollection of those events, but if you’d seen the look of abject terror on the soy boy beta gate agent as I unloaded the 3 mags and verified in front of him there wasn’t one in the pipe….priceless.

He said he would have someone come down and ‘confiscate’ the ammo. Declined the f*ck outta that offer. I think not. It’s secured in the safe in my vehicle in the remote lot.

Yeah, unless I'm traveling for a match I dont even bother flying with ammo I pick some JHP once I'm in the rental car. You literally never know what or who you're going to deal with. Back in the 90's I wouldnt even think twice about flying with guns and ammo. Now its rolling the dice and I find taking my carry piece and a couple of mags with no ammo the least painful way to fly.

From my experiences with lost check bags with firearms in them, the airlines all sub that out to fly by night outfits. The people who work for those outfits are accomplished liars. They will tell you that the bag will be at your location in X number of hours. When they don't show up and you call, they give a BS story. I had one that promised to delivery my bag at 3:00AM, so I stayed up as late as I could. It never came of course and when I called they said that they had closed at 9:00PM.

I had one flight where I was delayed overnight and ended up flying the last leg on a different airline. Under FAA regulations, the original airline is STILL responsible for getting your lost bags to you. Try talking to the people from two different airlines about a bag that started on one and ended up on the other.

One thing I've started doing it taking a picture of my packed check bags because they'll ask you for a description so they can be sure they find it. Apparently, their tracking system sucks as well, so someone has to hunt around in the luggage area to see if they can find it. Even at that, they'll give you a run around if you lost the stub of your claim check.

Most of that was before COVID and I can only imagine that it's worse now.

Yeah, unless I'm traveling for a match I dont even bother flying with ammo I pick some JHP once I'm in the rental car. You literally never know what or who you're going to deal with. Back in the 90's I wouldnt even think twice about flying with guns and ammo. Now its rolling the dice and I find taking my carry piece and a couple of mags with no ammo the least painful way to fly.
Back in the 90s you could carry on folding knives as long as they were less than 2.5 or 3 inches (can't remember which). I had to give up my Leatherman on a return flight because it was over the limit and I forget to check it. Not a happy day.

How close to the bag do you have to be, or do they show the tag location even if it's in another city?
If anyone with an iPhone is near the bag it phones home to their servers. So it will work pretty well unless your luggage goes to timbuktu or something odd like that.

It happened to someone where (i dont know the airline) someone at an airport stole their bag and they tracked it right to the persons house. It may even have been an employee of the airline, not sure though.
There are so many iphones out there that its not a problem to follow your tag across country.....

File a formal written complaint

Back
Top Bottom