• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

JellyFish wants a rifle and a shotgun!

J

JellyFish

I have decided to purchase a rifle and a shotgun as I want to learn how to use them. I have to date just used pistols and I think it's time to learn some new stuff. I've used a rifle and shotgun before but that was a long, long time ago back in college.

For the rifle I would like suggestions on a good .22 plinker I can have fun target shooting with. For the shotgun I am somewhat at a loss as I am not sure what I will use it for except maybe just blasting at the range or home defense.

I looked at a couple of them at AFS but could not make up my mind nor was I sure about the quality of them (most seemed to be being sold on consignment).

So I would like suggestions on make and model for both items. I don't want to spend a ton of cash (up to $200 for the rifle or so and maybe around for a shotgun). I can wait on the shotgun if I have to as the rifle interests me more.

Don't know if they make them anymore but I have an old Marlin bolt action .22 rifle. Tube feed. It's a great little rifle and is plenty accurate- especially when you're used to using larger caliber handguns! It's the only bolt action I have- it's kinda fun! A Ruger 10/22 is a good all around 22 rifle as well... I had one a while ago.

For a .22 it's hard to beat the Ruger 10/22 and well under $200. The only shotgun I've used on a regular basis has been the Remington 870 and I've never had a problem.

The 10/22 is a good choice. For a decent cheap shotgun, I'd recommend a Mossberg 500. You can get dozens of barrels for it so you can hunt, shoot clays, or use it for blasting/home defense.

With regards to the shotgun, there are lots of them out there at a reasonable
price. What do you want to spend? You can find something good in almost
any price range. Let us know and I bet you'll get some good input.

F

I had a lot of fun with the 10/22. I kind of wanted a bolt action .22 for awhile, the CZ got a lot of good reviews.

I also got a browning BL-22 lever action, but that is more expensive and it is kind of a shame to put a scope on it.

Recently I got the Marlin 60ss tube fed semi-auto, which I like a lot.

But you can't really go wrong with the 10/22, although everyone ends up upgrading every part of it eventually (trigger, barrel, stock, etc)

Agreed with the Ruger 10/22. Get a standard model, maybe even used. That way you can always add accessories and customize it anyway you want afterwards, or keep it original. After you learn to shoot it well you could turn it into a nice target rifle with a stock and barrel combo and only wind up spending about $140 for a kit. They're easy to work on as far as changing barrels and stocks, and after you read up on bolt cleaning and removal, that gets just as easy.
As for a shotgun, Mossberg has a new Persuader out now for about $250, good for home defense. If you want it for hunting and target, a lot of guys like Remington models.

Another vote for the 10/22. It's reliable and fun to shoot. You can buy them new or used just about anywhere. I got my current SS version from Tombstone Trading at Marlboro last Spring. As hminsky notes, you do tend to want to upgrade them. I replaced my solid wood stock with a laminated one I found on Ebay. I did that just because I liked the looks. I also bought one of those kits with the springs and shims and so on.

Gary

I would go to FS and pick up a 10/22 (best all around plinker out there) and a used Remington 870 Express. You'd pay maybe 300-350 total for that, and get a couple of guns with high upsides. The Express can be used for home defense, or with a simple barrel swap deer or bird hunting, or skeet/trap/clays. Nothing wrong with the Mossberg either, just a tad bit harder to get replacement barrels, and I think the 870 comes with a smoother action. Can't go wrong with either.

I'll weigh in with another vote for the 10/22 - mine is about 25 years old now [shocked] and I just feel no need for another .22. I like my Ruger just fine!

As for a shotgun, I bought an inexpensive Mossberg 500 about 15 or so years back. I got it with a rifled slug barrel and added a smoothbore for about $75 or so - total into the gun about $225. For what I want, occasional shooting, it's just fine. I've shot skeet & trap (poorly - my fault, not the gun!) as well as going hunting for deer with it.

One thing - if you're short, like me, you may find that a full-size shotgun doesn't fit you right. If you have trouble shouldering a full-size one, try a Youth model instead - the Remington 870 comes in a Youth or Starter model with a shorter stock. Wish I'd known about that before I bought my Mossberg. I will, however, be getting a shorter, recoil absorbing stock for my Mossberg!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Another vote for the 10/22, `I have the Mossberg 500, good basic pump shotgun. Now I think I want a double barrel coach gun. I have no particular use for this gun, but I want one any way.

Another vote for the 10/22, `I have the Mossberg 500, good basic pump shotgun. Now I think I want a double barrel coach gun. I have no particular use for this gun, but I want one any way.

I've been wanting a coach gun too. Not for home defense, but for cowboy cool factor. It'd be my Deadwood gun.[smile]
Well JellyFish... not to drift off topic. It looks like you should be grabbing a 10/22 soon.[wink]

I got a used stainless 10/22 a month ago for $175 and its a blast. They are fun to tinker on and there are more aftermarket parts available then any other gun. I have heard that Marlin semi autos are pretty good too, and you can get a used one for about $60-75.
If you have not done much shotgun shooting see if you can try a few different calibers before you buy. A 16 or 20 guage might be more pleasant for you to learn on then a 12 guage.

+1 on the 10/22. That and a Mossberg 500, that's my setup. Also, think about getting your C&R, then you can get a nice centerfire cheap, like an SKS in 7.62x39 (mine cost me $115 shipped).

There's a nice 10/22 in the classifieds now for $165. I've been looking at the stainless/wood version at Walmart (only local carrier) for $219

I guess without more data I can address shotguns some. First,
are you looking for a Home Defense gun or a clays gun or a hunting gun
(or all three)? If you want a defense gun and a clays/hunter you
need to give a lot of thought to the availability of barrels. You will
need one shorter one for home use and a 26/28" one for field. Also,
the availability of screw in chokes is a huge plus, but not a firm
requirement assuming you can find barrels that do the job you want.

My opinion in each price range:
~100 : Used stevens , savage, jc higgins, sears (bargain basement)

~200 : Mossberg 500, Used Remington Wingmaster , Used Ithaca M37
(The older Remingtons and Ithacas had a high level of workmanship
that is not there today, IMHO)

~300 : Used WIngmaster, Used Remington 1100 (with some luck)

~400 + : Tons of options

I am definately partial to older guns when you are on a budget. The
fit and finish is generally better and they are often sold for a song
since they don't shoot 3" shells (who cares if you are not after ducks)
and lack screw in chokes (may not be an issue for your uses).

Just some options.

F

Last edited:
Dicks has the Rem 870 Express with 26 or 28" bbl for $220 after rebate. Also they have the Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo (2 bbls) for $250. comes with Vent-rib field bbl, fully rifled bbl with integral scope mount/rings/2.5x20 scope.

This looks to be available in any Dick's Sporting Goods store.

I'll be the odd ball here,go with a marlin,there inexpensive and very accurate.nothing against the rugers but if you must up grade most all of the parts in order to get it shoot tight groups theres a problem with that.at least to me that is. a mossberg 500 pump is a good shotgun to start with though.

I would go to FS and pick up a 10/22 (best all around plinker out there) and a used Remington 870 Express.
+1

I also prefer Remingtons over Mossbergs.

nothing against the rugers but if you must up grade most all of the parts in order to get it shoot tight groups theres a problem with that
I'd agree with you if you did. But you don't. At least, I never have. I've got a 10/22 and have shot several others. All were just fine in the accuracy department. You can tinker with a 10/22, but you don't have to.

For a .22 can't beat the ruger if you decide to buy one I have a couple of spare stocks One is a laminate mannlicher style the other is synthetic your welcome to one of them
shotgun Mossberg or Remington

Get the first thing you see and like the looks of.

When I looked over my 'collection' a couple of years ago, I noticed that all I had was handguns.

I decided I needed a rifle. I bought an AK, then an SKS and over the course of the next year of so, had nearly 20 rifles.

Whatever you get will not be your last. Get what tickles your fancy and your wallet.

I've got an old Marlin 81 DL .22 bolt action tube fed. I think it was made in the '50s; it's very accurate and fun to shoot.

As far as shotguns go, a Rem 870 or Moss. 500 will both serve you well. You can get a variety of barrels for either one.

Just to finish off this thread, I now own a rifle and a shotgun. I got my ruger .22 rifle from another member here (the excellent and generous Fred who let me shoot a lot of his guns at the range when I picked up the rifle) and a Remington 870 express combo magnum 12 gauge shotgun. Both guns are great fun. So I got what I wanted and am now happy and content. [grin]

Except for the fact that I need to bag a squirrel when the season opens on Saturday but that's a thread for the hunting section. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom