Jay Severin suspended indefinitely

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
huge trouble

their stock is down to .05 a share, neither they or XM ever made a profit. I like my XM but there is only so much red ink a company can bleed.
It's all the way up to .35 a share! I was seriously considering buying a bunch at .05 or .06 before they were able to refinance some of their debt. I chickened out, I wish I bought it. I have Sirius for 2 channels: Howard 100 & Howard 101. It's the only thing I listen to. I'd gladly pay 2 or 3x the current subscription fee. If he doesn't extend his contract at the end of next year I'm gone.

Hiltonizer

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't know what a lot of the people here are smoking... Graham sucks 98% of the time. I'd rather see Mark Levin get a afternoon slot if Jay doesn't come back.

But, until Jay comes back, i'll stick my podcasts [frown]

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
so nobody knows when he's coming back...if he's coming back??
If and when he comes back he is going to be so neutered it won't be worth listening to, Kind of like Howie, they castrated him in a huge way.. for a while there no Scondras drop in (sound effect) when Fat Boy came down with the big C last year they (Julie Kahn and Jason Wolfe) would not let one less than glowing word be uttered about him, and you can tell when Howie is under the strict orders of Empress and Coffee Boy because he dances around the words he wants to say but can't.

Ever hear him say "magic radio"? It is because they will not allow him to say Sirius/XM

Rumor has it that this is more about getting him to renegotiate his million dollar contract than the mexican issue. IMHO unless he takes a huge pay cut he won't be back, and he really has noplace else to go at this point.

He failed in syndication, his TV commentator gigs have dried up, I doubt he is going to be hired by anyone as a political strategist which is what he did before radio.

He's screwed

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
and the guy from Philly there who can't decide if he is a conservative or not will do mid days
He matches with the dipshit broad that is Boston Girl and a New York City girl at the same time.

The old line up of Imus, Bill O'Reilly, 1 hour of E&B, Jay Severin, Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity was kick ass.

Except for Imus it is all local. I would rather hear either Laura, Hannity, or Oreilly at night instead of Miss I waved at a cop today so I think I am a cop or Guinea Goombats from NY.

One thing I wonder how much the failing economy has to do with reductions in listeners. I think the majority of listeners listen when they are in their car. With more and more people out of work you are loosing the people on their way to and from work and people on the road all day for work.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Except for Imus it is all local. I would rather hear either Laura, Hannity, or Oreilly at night instead of Miss I waved at a cop today so I think I am a cop or Guinea Goombats from NY.

I think she is a "Badge Bunny" myself... someone from the LEO community must have some info on her.

Oh don't forget she claims to ride a Harley, must be hard to keep that from being stolen living in East Boston... the place is NOT what it used to be ya know.

She has a face for radio but not the voice

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Jay was suspended I have pretty much listened to Sirius Patriot 144 exclusively when not listening to my IPod. I listen to Mike Church, Andrew Kilkow, Hannity, and Cam & Company. Occasionally I flip over to the Fox News' live broadcast.

As far as what I used to listen to on WTKK. I like Graham in moderation. Jay is awesome. E&B I could take it or leave it, sometimes they are funny. McPhee really makes me miss Laura Ingraham. Curtis Sliwa should do Ike's impression of David Caruso's career.

Also found this posted on WTKK's website:
WTKK and Greater Media value an open and vigorous dialogue, but we also adhere to basic principles of civility, common decency and respect for all cultures. We believe Jay's suspension is the best way to uphold both of these corporate policies. WTKK Management met with Jay Severin and his agent today. He will remain on suspension until further notice.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't know what a lot of the people here are smoking... Graham sucks 98% of the time. I'd rather see Mark Levin get a afternoon slot if Jay doesn't come back.

But, until Jay comes back, i'll stick my podcasts [frown]
I would love to see Mark Levin get Jay's time slot. Levin is great.

I always cracks me up when I hear him say: "Rachel Madcow".
[rofl]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To : TKK employee

I don't listen anymore.

Jimmy Meyers is a racist Ahole , Jim Braude is a condescending elitist Ahole , Imus just plain sucks , What's her name at 7 is a Big Gov Dem , and Graham seems to have been told to stick to boring cute topics - I can hear him looking over his shoulder every time he opens his mouth.

I just listen to that random song station with all the bad music , nowadays. It reminds me of better days.

Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Their current lineup mkaes me appreciate the peace and quiet of no radio on my drive home these days. Of course that silence is often laced with four-letter words and off-color comments about the other drivers on 128 - but those are coming out of my mouth so they are hard to turn off.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
As far as what I used to listen to on WTKK. I like Graham in moderation. Jay is awesome. E&B I could take it or leave it, sometimes they are funny. McPhee really makes me miss Laura Ingraham. Curtis Sliwa should do Ike's impression of David Caruso's career.
Graham is ok, Braude makes me want to puke, McPhee's voice is as annoying as a bag of cats getting hit with a stick. +1 on the South Park ref for Sliwa. [laugh]

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've tried listening to Howie lately. Is it me, or has he switched to doing mostly cute and safe topics? He's going on about things like charcoal grill vs propane grill. Boring! Which is a shame, since I know he has the skills to do a great show. I can only assume they told him to be boring. I'm not sure how that is supposed to help with the station's ratings though.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Damnit. This just pisses me off more. If there's an audience for it, who cares? This isn't hate speech, this is free speech, true speech.

If you're a pussy and Severin offends you, don't listen! I don't listen to crap music stations like 94.5 BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT! So don't listen to Jay or similar shows if you don't agree. But don't take him away because you don't agree. I'm not trying to get 94.5 off the air even though they play music that suggests cheating on or beating your girlfriend is okay or that you should go and kill cops...I just don't listen!

Damnit. [angry]

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Guys and gals.
As someone who was in broadcasting for 30 years let me assure you, this is about one thing and one thing only...numbers.
Severin's ratings had dropped off the cliff in the last six months.

Trust me, if he had strong ratings he would still be there. This isn't about being
distasteful, it is pure and simple about $$$$. This is just the excuse they conjured up to get rid of him. I've seen it happen hundreds of times.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Guys and gals.
As someone who was in broadcasting for 30 years let me assure you, this is about one thing and one thing only...numbers.

Trust me, if he had strong ratings he would still be there. This isn't about being
distasteful, it is pure and simple about $$$$. This is just the excuse they conjured up to get rid of him. I've seen it happen hundreds of times.
So what can we do to help? If more of us write letters, will that help? I am but one woman but I will do anything I can!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a pussy and Severin offends you, don't listen!
It's not about wether or not they agree with him, it's about shutting up dissenting opinions and voices. The left claims to be all about tolerance and diversity of opinion and free speech until someone says something they don't like. Then they want that someone to shut up and go away.

They only tolerate the speech and diversity of opinion they agree with.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So what can we do to help? If more of us write letters, will that help? I am but one woman but I will do anything I can!
No, it's a noble effort, but believe me please, they have changed the radio ratings system in Boston and Severin is off the radar screen. It used to be phone calls and emails might have an influence, but today they know exactly how many people are really listening. Severin was just one of those people who began to believe his own headlines.

It's possible they might put him back on, IF the substitutes don't get better ratings. That's all this is about. Broadcasters couldn't care less and about right and wrong and morality.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No, it's a noble effort, but believe me please, they have changed the radio ratings system in Boston and Severin is off the radar screen. It used to be phone calls and emails might have an influence, but today they know exactly how many people are really listening. Severin was just one of those people who began to believe his own headlines.

It's possible they might put him back on, IF the substitutes don't get better ratings. That's all this is about. Broadcasters couldn't care less and about right and wrong and morality.
There's no way in hell the clown parade that they've had filling in for Jay is achieving better ratings...

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Guys and gals.

You don't have to be in broadcasting to see that, if you read between the lines. It's much the same as with Don Imus back with the "nappy ho's" incident.

Of course the Glob wants it to seem as if he what he said was unacceptable from a cultural perspective, but that's just the Glob.

This statement is pure Glob speak,

Dan Kennedy, a journalism professor at Northeastern University, agrees that Severin had been sounding "unhinged" lately, even compared with other conservative talkers like Carr and Michael Graham.
Because as both remaining Glob readers know, the right is unhinged, while the left is "moderate" and "main stream".

Die Globe, die.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You don't have to be in broadcasting to see that, if you read between the lines. It's much the same as with Don Imus back with the "nappy ho's" incident.

Of course the Glob wants it to seem as if he what he said was unacceptable from a cultural perspective, but that's just the Glob.

This statement is pure Glob speak,

Because as both remaining Glob readers know, the right is unhinged, while the left is "moderate" and "main stream".

Die Globe, die.
Exactly, it plays right into the hands of the left. But, I was a VP of two television networks and I can tell you that I never was involved in any kind discussion about politics or morality. They all carried calculators and that was all she wrote.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
60   1   0
Jay sounded like he was in total and complete undeniable love with his own voice.

Seriously.

I think he laid in bed at nights listening to tapes of his own show while pleasuring himself.
That's what he's been doing since he landed in Boston!

If you just put a mirror in front of him, he'll follow the mirror anywhere it goes, even off a steep cliff!

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So, any idea why his ratings apparently dropped a lot? I don't think he's doing much of anything different than he's been doing for years. And once people become conservative, they don't usually throw up their hands and say "eh whatever, screw this conservative stuff, I'm going back to NPR".

And are these ratings comparing him with music stations? That seems kind of pointless to me... they should have special ratings to compare talk radio stations with each other. We all know that most people are sheeple, which means that they will be inclined to listen to music and ignore everything happening in the world. I would never expect talk radio stations to surpass music stations in this area.

I agree the radio stations only care about money. WRKO is the same way. They don't care about liberal vs conservative just as long as they can earn more money.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
So, any idea why his ratings apparently dropped a lot? I don't think he's doing much of anything different than he's been doing for years. And once people become conservative, they don't usually throw up their hands and say "eh whatever, screw this conservative stuff, I'm going back to NPR".
Maybe that's it right here. His schtick becomes pretty tiresome at times, along with his unerring ability to be wrong in every prediction then claim that he was right.

And are these ratings comparing him with music stations? That seems kind of pointless to me... they should have special ratings to compare talk radio stations with each other. We all know that most people are sheeple, which means that they will be inclined to listen to music and ignore everything happening in the world. I would never expect talk radio stations to surpass music stations in this area.
It's about raw numbers and demographics. Advertisers want to see numbers, they don't care what's going out over the air. Advertisers specifically want audiences with disposable income. It could be silence, if people tune in the advertisers will pay. If no one listens, advertisers don't pay and the station changes formats or personalities, or both.

The best way to get listeners, regardless of format, is to be entertaining. It's why Rush makes so much money and others don't. People may or may not agree with him, but they listen. If they didn't he wouldn't get the huge amounts of money that he does.

Top Bottom