Jay Severin suspended indefinitely

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He knuckled.... no other way to look at it.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1175818&format=text

After making waves, Jay Severin back on airwaves
‘Evolution’ of a humbled shock jock
By Jessica Heslam | Sunday, May 31, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

A kinder, gentler Jay Severin will return to the airwaves Tuesday, the right-wing shock jock said yesterday, just hours after 96.9 WTKK-FM announced the end of a month-long suspension.

“I plan for it to be a better show,” Severin said in an exclusive Herald interview reflecting on the furor that erupted in April when he referred to Mexicans as some of the world’s “lowest of primitives” and “leeches” while talking on-air about the swine flu.

Severin said he regrets those remarks and plans to apologize from his “heart” on his show Tuesday.

“I certainly intend to do everything I can do to apologize in a full and sincere manner,” Severin said.

Hired in 1999 to bring his brand of inflammatory radio to Boston, Severin, 58, has stirred controversy for years with his comments about immigrants, Muslims and Democratic politicians - for instance, repeatedly referring to Barack Obama during the election as “Osama Obama.”

Yesterday, the host said, “I don’t disagree with the station’s assessment that the show had taken an overly negative tone recently and that would be separate and apart from certain remarks that I made.”

In a statement announcing Severin’s return, the Greater Media-owned WTKK said it had conversations with Severin over the past several weeks about his “hurtful, inappropriate remarks” and he understands “that we will not accept this type of commentary on our airwaves in the future.”

Based on this understanding, the statement said, the station agreed to end his suspension.

“We want to emphasize that WTKK still strongly supports an open and spirited debate about the many issues our community and our country currently face,” the statement said. “Our goal is to maintain a level of discourse that is compelling and thought-provoking, yet civil and respectful.”

The April 30 suspension came after Severin’s ratings dropped during the first three months of this year with the new Portable People Meter ratings system. Severin - who makes more than $1 million a year - fell from fifth to 15th place in the afternoon-drive ratings among the key 25-to-54-year-old listeners from the same time span last year.

“Quite naturally, my ambition is to do the best show I can do,” Severin said. “I’m still the same person but like all other people, I recognize when I need to apologize and when I need to improve.”

When asked why he thought his show had taken a negative tone recently, Severin said: “I can’t say I know that, but I may speak to that on Tuesday.”

News of his return angered some who had protested Severin’s remarks.

“It doesn’t seem very intelligent to associate with somebody who spreads such hate, to try to sell your products through that man,” said Franklin Soults, spokesman for the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition. “But that’s their business decision to make.”

Severin referred questions about the conditions of his return - including whether he took a pay cut - to his agent and attorney, George Tobia. Tobia declined to comment on the conditions, saying simply, “Jay is very excited to be back in the fold on his station. He loves working there and he’s excited about doing a great show for WTKK.”

When asked what it’s been like to be off the air for a month, Severin said it’s been “unpleasant.” However, he said, he always thought he would return to WTKK.

“There’s 10 years of context here of me . . . and because of my extraordinarily strong relationship with my colleagues and with (Greater Media chairman and CEO) Peter Smyth, I was confident - with a commitment to do the kind of show that they want me to do and I think the audience wants me to do - that this would be worked out.”

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
It really doesn't matter anymore.

If he tones it down he looses listeners and credibility. If he maintains course he looses his job. In the end we lost to the PC police.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It depends how "toned down" he needs to be. If he simply has to stop saying things like "condos for Mexicans", then he may be OK. But, if he has to stop talking about how illegal immigrants are ruining the country and how muslim terrorists are trying to kill us, then he's done for. I would guess just the former, but I'll tune in and see.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my doubts. ....but he could substitute Criminaliens & "wetbacks" for "Illegal Alien " etc. Just give things straight-up proper names.

For a man who so prides himself on his vocabulary and English skills , it shouldn't be a problem to make all the same arguments and viewpoints without resorting to language that gives his enemies an edge.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have my doubts. ....but he could substitute Criminaliens & "wetbacks" for "Illegal Alien " etc. Just give things straight-up proper names.

For a man who so prides himself on his vocabulary and English skills , it shouldn't be a problem to make all the same arguments and viewpoints without resorting to language that gives his enemies an edge.
...but it sucks when some of your enemies are sitting in the front office.

Oh, and the shed company can still kiss my ass. [smile]

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was hoping he'd get on the air for 3 minutes & say "You want my apology, crimaliens? BITE ME!", & let the pieces fall where they may. I was disapointed by his apology.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I only listened for 20 minutes while driving, and he did sound odd.... "nervous" maybe, but I was thinking hoarse. Either he had a cold, or he's been screaming in anger nonstop for the past month in his house and lost his voice.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think the entire thing was a marketing ploy, just like when Coke pulled the "original formula" off the shelf and a few months later brought it back as "Classic Coke" and sold a jillion gallons of it.

Smart move on their part if you think about it, take him away, make everyone miss him, create all kinds of controversy, get tons of free press (no such thing as bad press) then bring him back with higher ratings than ever.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only listened for 20 minutes while driving, and he did sound odd.... "nervous" maybe, but I was thinking hoarse. Either he had a cold, or he's been screaming in anger nonstop for the past month in his house and lost his voice.
Don't they doctor up the voices to smooth them out? I thought he sounded different also. Maybe they are using a new synthesizer/computer thing.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is posted on the wtkk website.

"I wish to offer and trust you will consider my sincere apology. I and the men and women for whom, and with whom, I work have a duty to our community to ensure that every day our station offers - in partnership with You - ideas and conversation about the issues of the day which are thought-provoking, compelling, challenging, entertaining - but also always responsible, civil, thoughtful and respectful to all members of our community. This is our standard. However, recently, in making certain remarks, I failed this standard, and thus failed my colleagues and you. My remarks were hurtful, unkind and wrong. For those remarks and for failing to meet the standards you are right to expect of me, I am sincerely sorry. Most especially to the members of the Mexican community and Mexican-American community, I regret my remarks and I apologize for them. I am sorry. I want you to be an engaged and proud member of this audience, but I appreciate I must earn that privilege, every day. And I can only expect to do so by conducting a civil and intelligent conversation worthy of you, worthy of your family - whether or not you always agree with my opinions. To every person I have offended by my recent remarks: I am truly regretful and extend my apology. And to those who were not offended, I have still let you down by appealing to something less than the "best and brightest" in you, and for this I am also sorry. I am tremendously eager to renew - and make better - our ten years together of daily conversation and vigorous debate. You have my personal pledge that I will do my best to make ours the best show on radio. And, as ever, thank you for my job."

-Jay Severin

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am listening to Jay right now and he is talking about how the BPD can't get those semi-auto rifles, and how we as citizens can own them but the cops can't use them. People with LTC's are calling in, any of those people any of us?

Top Bottom