1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Jay Severin suspended indefinitely

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Big_Red, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/04/_jay_severin.html

By David Abel, Globe Staff

Jay Severin, the fiery radio talk show host on Boston’s WTKK-FM, was suspended today after calling Mexican immigrants "criminaliens" and emergency rooms "condos for Mexicans."

Jay Severin

Heidi Raphael, a spokeswoman for the station, said Severin had been suspended indefinitely. She declined to comment further.

George Tobia, Severin’s lawyer, said it was not clear how long his client has been suspended.

“All we know is it’s indefinite,” he said. “We’re just learning of it, and we’re dealing with it.”

Tobia said the station’s manager had received a flood of complaints in recent days about Severin’s comments about Mexicans and the swine flu.

“It would certainly be unfortunate if someone was suspended because some people didn’t like what he said, rather than it being warranted for being over the line,” Tobia said.

He did not know Severin’s precise comments.

“At this point, I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Tobia said.

Severin, in a show Monday, said the United States could have taken certain steps already to protect itself from the flu, but hadn't, and he used the word "criminaliens" to refer to immigrants coming to the United States from Mexico.

"Other countries won't let people into their country from the source of the illness if there's some kind of plague, but we do and tonight we will let the usual 5,000 criminaliens that come across the Arizona border will probably be 8,000 tonight and maybe tomorrow it will be 12,000 because even Mexicans are going to be trying to get out of Mexico at a greater rate"

A short time later, he was talking to a nurse who complained about the healthcare given to immigrants. She said she was just glad she didn't work in the emergency room.

"Yeah, well, that's become essentially condos for Mexicans," he said in audio posted on the WTTK website.

It’s not the first time Severin, a former political consultant for the Republican Party, has faced criticism for derogatory comments about minorities. On a 2004 broadcast, he compared US Muslims to a fifth column, and when a caller suggested the United States should befriend Muslims, Severin responded: "You think we should befriend them; I think we should kill them."

He has also been criticized over the years for falsely saying he had won a Pulitzer Prize and that he had earned a master’s degree from Boston University.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator NES Member

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    Yup, tell it like it is and get canned.

Interesting times we live in.

3. kevin9

kevin9

Where's that hurt feelings form?

4. trophygrl

trophygrl

i don't think he should be suspended. it reminds me of when they went after Imus.

i think is is lame that liberals wait and listen for ANYTHING that they can use to get rid of sucessful radio show hosts. they piss me right the hell off.

don't get me wrong-- i am not severin's biggest fan... i don't like how many commercials vs. air time he has and i feel like he hardly ever gets to the point...

but i am SO SICK AND TIRED of this PC bullshit.

it is america! where is the freedom??

5. Beansie_Time

Beansie_Time

I was wondering why Curtis Sliwa was on this afternoon. Basically whether or not he keeps his job comes down to the advertisers. If it was complaints from listeners I think they would just brush it aside because his ratings are reasonably good. One or more of the advertisers on WTKK must have complained or threatened to pull their ad dollars.

6. trophygrl

trophygrl

we all know the complaints came from the liberal rats waiting in the shadows.

7. Becka

Becka

What can we do to get him back on the air?
    This is a travesty!

8. Big_Red

Big_Red

I listen to Severin every day on my way home. Sure, he can be controversial but I am not sure that I see a big problem here.

The Swine Flu did come from Mexico and had we locked down our borders a long time ago this pandemic may not have had this much of an effect on the US.

Severin calls criminaliens only those who came to this country illegally, not those who did it the right way. Just so it happens that majority of the illigals here are Mexican.

As far as the Muslim comments...he always says "Not all Muslims are terrorists but thus far all terrorists were Muslim."

I think that an indefinite suspension is a bit harsh. Slap him with a fine if you must and let's move on. This country really is becoming completely pussyfied.

9. Pilgrim

I went to their website and 'contacted' their main office. I send them this:

Mexicans sneaking into the us are criminals...they violate our laws by doing that. When they are here they are called aliens.

Criminal aliens - criminaliens for short.

Firing anyone for telling the truth just because you or the criminaliens don't like it is a real sad commentary on what our country has become.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for stifling free speech.

By doing that you are responsible for the slow and steady decline into decay and ruin of this once great country.

I have listened to your station faithfully for years, but no more.

2 people like this.
  10. mikem317

mikem317

Severin is a hate monger. I remember he basically said that instead of befriending the Middle East we should basically kill all of them. In other words, he's the terrorist. Good riddance to bad rubbish. The Republican Party had enough of his hateful antics, looks like WTKK finally came to their senses.

That being said, I find myself agreeing with Severin on some issues. But WTKK is private institution and being such, can and should be able to maintain their human resources.

11. EddieCoyle

EddieCoyle Consigliere Moderator NES Member

He's been using those terms for years. Why a suspension now?

12. Pilgrim

more bitching criminaliens around?

13. Ninsho

Ninsho

Exactly, hardly a day goes by that the word criminalien isn't used. There goes my afternoon drive listen.

Look at the comments on the globe article too, just about everyone is some liberal bitching and moaning about Jay being a hatemonger and stupid etc. He just tells it like it is and tries to provoke some real thought.

14. bolt

bolt

UNF***** BELIVEABLE!!! <RANT> Socialworker::Have you never been in this state before, were the best state in this country. Free housing, healthcare, food, we'll even pay you and your childrens college education if you stay long enough <rant off>you CRIMINAL's. Never play by the rules thats for suckers!

15. Becka

Becka

That's what I just said to my husband. My guess is that some SNAG heard it and thinks the Mexicans are being treated too harshly over this whole thing.
    I heard the part they're talking about, with the nurse. I didn't think it was any different from what he normally says.

I want him back!!

16. lord1234

lord1234

Yes i agree. Whats new now? What's changed?

17. gjones77

gjones77

You really want to know what's up?

It's quite easy, swine flu started in Mexico, and our diversity at all cost liberal friends don't want the average person to put 2 and 2 together and realize that illegal immigration has more than just a financial burden, it can cause this pandemic to spread faster than our country can contain it.

So, this hurts the amnesty cause quite a bit and can set back their plans, as well as all the illegal votes that the Democrats get from the immigration community, so they're now focusing on silencing anyone who points out this simple fact.

Kinda obvious, look at the bigger picture.

18. CRSIII

CRSIII

Go to wttk.com and complain. Thats probably the best way to get him back.

19. mikem317

mikem317

But shouldn't WTKK be able to acquire and dispose of resources at their wishes?

Want to get back at WTKK? Get a boycott for all of WTKK's advertisers, you know, the one's that pay the bills. That will get their attention.

20. Big_Red

Big_Red

Here is what I sent to WTKK:

1 person likes this.
  21. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Dammit! I didn't want to have this happen today. I was wondering why that Curtis guy was on (not that I mind him -- he's OK)... the minute I saw this article, I turned Curtis off. I'm never turning on WTKK again unless they put Jay back.

Criminalien = Criminal + Alien. Alien who enters illegally is by definition a criminal. A perfectly good term, one that he has been using for years.

Now what do I do commuting from work? I suppose I could listen to Howie. Or maybe this would be a good time to play some learn-spanish recordings, so that I can better welcome our new Mexican overlords once they finish taking over the country.

I'm off to send email to wtkk...

22. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Better yet "Unless Jay is reinstated, I will listed to your station only to find out who your advertisers are so I can write each one of them and tell them I will boycott their product until I learn they no longer advertise on your station".

23. bolt

bolt

If you search the web site he got canned big time/ all his contact info is gone etc>Boycott thier advertisers products! I really dislike CurtisL also for some reason. To full of himself.

24. K-DUB

K-DUB

I was wondering why Sliwa was on today. I'm pissed. I've been listening faithfully to that station mostly because of Jay for 10 years. As some others pointed out, he's used that term for YEARS.

I will be writing to the station & the advertisers to tell them I won't be listening anymore if he's not back on the air soon. There main phone # is 617-822-9600, for those of you that would rather call than email.

ETA: My brief email to http://wtkk.com.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  25. Beansie_Time

Beansie_Time

26. mikem317

mikem317

Go further. Contact their advertisers that you will stop doing business with them until their client, WTKK, reinstates Severin.

27. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That's a good idea. I will write a bunch of their advertisers right now. Can you think of some? I'm having a mental block, but:
    - Reeds Ferry Sheds (and I feel bad about boycotting them since they are good folks and I was soon going to buy a new shed from them).
    - The Countertop Shop (I have also done business with them)
    - Marino dentist place?
    - ummm.... what else?

28. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

[email protected]

Peter Smyth runs ALL of Greater Medias radio stations nationwide.

He is based out of Braintree

If you want to go to the top there is where you write to, and I know for a fact he reads his emails.

When no other radio station in Boston would work with the MBTA Toy Drive I appealed to him to help, and he did.

With VayCay J's recent ratings don't be surprised to see him gone. Greater Media is just waiting for Howie Carrs contract with Entercom to run out and J would be gone.

Radio sites that are probably discussing this...
    Radio Info.com
    http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,125724.0.html

Radio Equalizer will get on it later today I bet:
    http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/

www.SaveWRKO.com

http://www.bostonradiowatch.com/

29. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

And Dover Rugs.

30. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Are you telling me that "immigrants" from Mehico are not "ILLEGAL"? Severin is on the money and I only wish I had tuned in years ago.