• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jared just said SBR’s are illegal in MA...

Jared from Guns & Gadgets posted a video/livestream last night about the ATF’s decision to call that HoneyBadger AR pistol a SBR. Typical ATF bs. However, around the 4 minute mark of the video Jared states that SBR’s are illegal in states like Massachusetts and you cannot have them. He says this very firmly. This is concerning to me because he is a police officer. I know he does a lot of great 2A work and I enjoy and subscribe to his channel but he definitely didn’t mis-speak giving how firmly he stated this. People brought it up in the comments but if anybody on here knows him please get the word out to him that he is completely wrong. The last thing we need is a 2A friendly cop not knowing MA and Federal gun laws. There’s enough order followers out there to deal with. 👍🏻🇺🇸

I suspect the source of his confusion is the AG letter from ~2017 triggered by the Shockwave where she correctly points out that a dealer cannot sell an SBR because it is an offlist firearm (handgun/pistol). This is similar to people calling glocks illegal not understanding the different between what a dealer can sell and what an inmate can own.

No form 4 sales of SBRs by a dealer. form 4 by private individuals and form 1 all perfectly legal. Also bringing it into state perfectly legal.

And yes, someone should fix his mistake

Does that mean it would be ok for me to bring to MA an AR Pistol or AK Pistol that I own out of state?

I suspect the source of his confusion is the AG letter from ~2017 triggered by the Shockwave where she correctly points out that a dealer cannot sell an SBR because it is an offlist firearm (handgun/pistol). This is similar to people calling glocks illegal not understanding the different between what a dealer can sell and what an inmate can own.

No form 4 sales of SBRs by a dealer. form 4 by private individuals and form 1 all perfectly legal. Also bringing it into state perfectly legal.

And yes, someone should fix his mistake
Ya, he doesn’t clarify form 1 or form 4, he just says they are illegal in MA. He is also very knowledgeable about this stuff that’s why it concerned me. He doesn’t have to post a correction video or anything but I’m sure somebody on here has his number and can shoot him a quick text.

No, because that’s an “assault weapon” which is actually banned by statute.

Well I will just need to hope that ACB gets confirmed then, and SCOTUS gets a little backbone on the 2A before I can be reunited with some on my range toys... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ya, he doesn’t clarify form 1 or form 4, he just says they are illegal in MA. He is also very knowledgeable about this stuff that’s why it concerned me. He doesn’t have to post a correction video or anything but I’m sure somebody on here has his number and can shoot him a quick text.
i dont think it matters much , those that know the laws and want to get what is legal by federal law and state low will do so. Those that walk into a local FFL and say I want one....SOL.

i dont think it matters much , those that know the laws and want to get what is legal by federal law and state low will do so. Those that walk into a local FFL and say I want one....SOL.
I just don’t want him jamming some poor guy up at a traffic stop. I dont foresee that with him but he is a cop.

Not if you walk into the right FFL. The right FFL will explain how to acquire the parts and form 1 and can facilitate (just not directly sell). I know of over 100 form 1s done this year with guidance from a knowledgable FFL...

I just don’t want him jamming some poor guy up at a traffic stop. I dont foresee that with him but he is a cop.
If inspection of guns is happening at a traffic stop sufficient to start making illegal/legal determinations, someone is already jammed up. But it would be good to get him to stop spreading incorrect information.

Does that mean it would be ok for me to bring to MA an AR Pistol or AK Pistol that I own out of state?
Only if they are pre 13-sep-1994, otherwise they are assault weapons. Technically if you made them fixed magazine (non-detachable 10rd magazine) they would be ok also. If you really want to bring them in, you need to form 1 them into an SBR. No pistol brace cheap work around SBRs for you in MA...

Jared from Guns & Gadgets posted a video/livestream last night about the ATF’s decision to call that HoneyBadger AR pistol a SBR. Typical ATF bs. However, around the 4 minute mark of the video Jared states that SBR’s are illegal in states like Massachusetts and you cannot have them. He says this very firmly. This is concerning to me because he is a police officer. I know he does a lot of great 2A work and I enjoy and subscribe to his channel but he definitely didn’t mis-speak giving how firmly he stated this. People brought it up in the comments but if anybody on here knows him please get the word out to him that he is completely wrong. The last thing we need is a 2A friendly cop not knowing MA and Federal gun laws. There’s enough order followers out there to deal with. 👍🏻🇺🇸
Not surprising, he get a lot of details wrong, some more important than others. He's quick to post about an event or some bill, but I've seen him miss important details that ultimately change the situation. Then quietly let's them go. That's not to say he doesn't gets some right, you just need to do your own research, but that's true for all sources.

I was unaware of Guns and Gadgets, I found him on You Tube. You are correct he said Mass residents couldn’t do a Form 1 and based on yours and other comments that is wrong. In context, he was stating that Mass residents with a Honey Badger pistol are now screwed because you can’t Form 1 your HB pistol to make a legal SBR. This was one of the two remedies suggested by Q. I actually thought Mass had a hard on for AR pistols.

I was unaware of Guns and Gadgets, I found him on You Tube. You are correct he said Mass residents couldn’t do a Form 1 and based on yours and other comments that is wrong. In context, he was stating that Mass residents with a Honey Badger pistol are now screwed because you can’t Form 1 your HB pistol to make a legal SBR. This was one of the two remedies suggested by Q. I actually thought Mass had a hard on for AR pistols.
AR pistols run afoul of the AWB pretty hard. If you had a pistol brace based Honey Badger in MA you are either a dealer, LEO, or a future felon. Only dealers and LEO are AWB exempt and could have had one lawfully. If the dealer is an SOT, then they just form 2 and call it a day.

What a mess

AR pistols run afoul of the AWB pretty hard. If you had a pistol brace based Honey Badger in MA you are either a dealer, LEO, or a future felon. Only dealers and LEO are AWB exempt and could have had one lawfully. If the dealer is an SOT, then they just form 2 and call it a day.

What a mess

It will always be a mess unless and until the laws are repealed or the LEO exemptions are eliminated. Exemptions for one group or another are a direct affront to the concept of equal treatment under the law.

Hey everybody! I just wanted to apologize I messed up in what I said last night I was thinking suppressors but my mouth said SBR‘s. I apologize!! You can have SBR‘s in Massachusetts providing you get a tax stamp and utilize the proper forms for the ATF.
Honey Badgers in MA are probably a no-go however.

Hey everybody! I just wanted to apologize I messed up in what I said last night I was thinking suppressors but my mouth said SBR‘s. I apologize!! You can have SBR‘s in Massachusetts providing you get a tax stamp and utilize the proper forms for the ATF.
Awesome! Keep up the great work.

I don’t think honey badgers were ever legal in mass simply because of the removable Magazine. But, I’m glad it’s cleared up because I like Jared’s content a lot. How could u not know about Guns & Gadgets?? “It’s your source for 2nd Amendment News!!” 😂😂👍🏻🇺🇸

Only if they are pre 13-sep-1994, otherwise they are assault weapons. Technically if you made them fixed magazine (non-detachable 10rd magazine) they would be ok also. If you really want to bring them in, you need to form 1 them into an SBR. No pistol brace cheap work around SBRs for you in MA...
One is possibly Pre-Ban... I’ll need to do some research...

Never heard of him.

Story of my life right here. [smile]

So if a Honey Badger is now an SBR and not a pistol it would seem that it's now more available to people in MA than it was before, right, as long as it passes the features test?

Well, I'm in Mass and I have suppressors. Jack.

Well, I'm in Mass and I have suppressors.
DAC12435062567131FC31D04004284C1281261BE

Back
Top Bottom