J.P. Doyle's in JP Closing

money talks rising rent and he was able to sell the liquor license for 6 figures
I'm surprised he didn't own the building. My first Army Reserve unit was on American Legion highway in Roslindale and we used to pour back a few pints at Doyle's. Boston's great bars are disappearing which will please the the leftists. Can't have all those white Irish bars in Boston anymore, too racist. I used to drive in from Norwood in the 80's because Doyle's actually had more than Budweiser on tap. Guinness, Harp and Sam Adams.

I used to live about a block away and the place was like a second home for a few years in the mid 80's
when it was still mostly working class.

Was great being able to go there, not worry about driving and being able to stumble my way back home.

It caught me by surprise when I heard that it was closing, but 450k is hard to turn down and the owners (at least
the one I knew), have to be in their mid 70's by now.

Went there a couple years ago and I couldn't enjoy my meal and beer because of this screeching woman pretending to be an Indian and some incompetent mayor were there the whole time.
IMG_0232.JPG

Wow, bad timing. "I think I'll get me a beer". Was Liawatha holding a beer?

To be honest, I was being a little facetious in my last post. I went there on purpose when I knew they were having the event because I wanted to hear how much bull they could say in an hour in real time. Like a train wreck I couldn't look away from...

The cost of the liquor license is a sad joke.
Correct, the liquor laws are a throwback to days gone by when politicians shaped business in cities and towns. At one time they may of been necessary to keep towns from turning into seedy destinations for men drinking their pay away but they are antiquated now.

A lot of Local History passed through those doors ( it also was an unoffical info center for jobs, who was hiring who was a stiff, who just got back from " The Old Country " Etc. Etc. ) . . . . and then it began , in the late 80's a. Lot of smoking ,drinking, noise, Laws, Liberal clientele. . . and trust fund commandos became the moving force behind the shift to more of a restaurant and a shadow of the Bar it once was . . . side note, the Owner gave a space next door , to the Ma. Viet Nam Veterans post # 1. In the late 70's , and 80's ( and always supported Us ) . . the Burke Family are the Salt of the Earth Thank You Ed, Jerry Sr. Jerry Jr, brother Billy . . . God Bless ! Semper Fi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom