• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J&J Arms - Dedham - new-ish gun shop

There is a new gun shop J&J Arm coming to Dedham and I saw on West Roxbury and Rosindale parents facebook group that a few of the people on there are trying to organize a protest at tomorrow town meeting. Is anybody else in the Dedham area that can come help support him tomorrow night?

See attached for a screenshot of the group that is talking about protesting the shop at the townhall meeting.

Attachments

• J&J.JPG
    J&J.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 299
Now that the licenses have been granted, and assuming that the applicant meets all other code requirements, the business will have a legal right to open. Be advised that the Town is continuing to talk with the applicant and exploring options to resolve this issue in a manner satisfactory to the entire community.

translated... we're gonna pressure the biz not to open in any way we possible can. Owner should flip them a double barreled bird and open as planned.

translated... we're gonna pressure the biz not to open in any way we possible can. Owner should flip them a double barreled bird and open as planned.

Something tells me this is far from over, they're really, really going full retard, and pulling any excuse they can think of
out of their ass's to prevent them from opening.

Article from a couple of weeks ago.

Dedham gun shop proposal draws crowd to listening session

DEDHAM -- A panel of Dedham town officials hosted a listening session for more than 300 residents on Thursday, Sept. 5, at the Dedham Middle School to educate them about the issues surrounding J&J Arms, a proposed gun dealership that was scheduled to open this month at 224 Bussey St.

While a lot of information was presented about the zoning and safety requirements for the gun shop, the bulk of the two-hour meeting focused on a variety of reasons residents presented for the business being detrimental to that site, which is near Condon Park and three schools.

--------------------------

I know I am personally concerned about the location of the gun store, near a park, near our schools,” resident Meg Duncan said.

She asked if the police chief could deny under Massachusetts law of the applicant were “deemed unsuitable,” and what that meant.

“The chief has limited discretion,” Rich said. “In general, there are specific criteria, like medical issues, age issues and other issues. But the chief is relatively constrained in what he can do It is essentially on a case-by-case basis.”

Police Chief Mike D’Entremont explained that the statute Duncan referred to was regarding the ability to license and carry a firearm, not to license a gun shop.

Residents approached the debate from different angles, such as the fire hazard of having combustibles near a park and the psychological effects of students being exposed to the gun shop as they walked to school.

Two residents made the case that the proposed shop violated the parking code, and thus the Americans with Disabilities Act, because it does not have the required five spaces needed for a small business. They held up charts illustrating how hard it would be to back up from the site, what the parking configuration would have to be, and how it would have to cross an accessible space.

Erin Boles-Welsh told the audience that she had researched the issue with the Giffords Law Center, a national nonprofit, and spoke with a representative on this issue.

“The Massachusetts law appears to give broader discretion when it says, ’the police chief may grant,” she said.

She added that there are gun supply stress in neighboring towns, so the shortage of supply argument would not apply.

Advocating for the gun shop

Randy Gleason from the Dedham Republican Town Committee got emotional as he presented the other side of the case.

“I will tell you why no town has ever done this before – because it is unconstitutional on its face,” he said. “Let’s not penalize this young man. He has gone through four to six months of getting the permits. I don’t think an outright ban will pass muster.”

Mark Rogers said that one-third of the guns that are involved in crimes are originally sold legally, according to studies he researched.

“The gun store itself could unfortunately be victimized by a criminal,” he noted.

Robert O’Connell came to the meeting after viewing it at home on cable to make his opinion for the gun shop known.

“My feeling is that we have to educate children about guns in today’s society,” O’Connell said. “Today we coddle them from the cradle to the coffin. I don’t think anybody’s gonna run out of J&J Gun Shop and shoot up Condon Park.”

“I don’t call it coddling our children,” countered Melissa Howard. “I call it keeping our children alive.”

Dedham gun shop proposal draws crowd to listening session

Non paywall link to story:
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Local officials say the rule would apply retroactively to J & J Arms, since Dedham posted the proposed zoning change in August — before the gun shop received approval to open.

“It was discussed at Town Meeting and clarified by town counsel that [the rule] would be retroactive, because under Massachusetts zoning law, once notice is given of a zoning amendment, the rule applies,” said Town Manager Leon Goodwin.

Ex post facto laws are illegal under the MA and US Constitution. The ZBA can get bent, the store is grandfathered.
That's funny, where'd our bump stocks go?

I'm not sure how the zoning laws work in this situation, so I don't know how likely he is to win but neither this situation or the situation with bump stocks fall under "Ex post facto". With this law they are trying to force him out with zoning, not punishing him (Fines or jail time) for violating zoning before the regulation was changed. The bump stock ban is nonsense, but they are not trying to punish anyone who owned it before the law was changed, it only criminalizes possession after the new law.

Last edited:
Melissa probably supports abortion, but is definitely against gun shops because of all those kids killed in and around gun shops daily....
Melissa should know that little Russian and Cuban kids know how to handle AK series rifles, including fieldstrip, clean, reassemble and function check. Teach them safe gun handling. No safety in ignorance!

Here is the article:
New zoning could apply retroactively to Dedham gun shop
By Johanna Seltz
Globe Correspondent,January 21, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

The future of a gun shop that opened in mid-November in East Dedham is up in the air, according to local officials.
J & J Arms, a gun and ammunition shop, generated intense opposition over its location in a neighborhood business district close to a park and schools. Shortly after the store opened, Town Meeting voted on Nov. 25 to impose new zoning rules that would prohibit gun shops from locating anywhere in town except for a small area designated as an “adult use overlay district.”
Local officials say the rule would apply retroactively to J & J Arms, since Dedham posted the proposed zoning change in August — before the gun shop received approval to open.
“It was discussed at Town Meeting and clarified by town counsel that [the rule] would be retroactive, because under Massachusetts zoning law, once notice is given of a zoning amendment, the rule applies,” said Town Manager Leon Goodwin.
However, Goodwin said local officials have not decided whether to enforce the rule retroactively and likely get into a long legal fight.
“We are going to do what is right for the community, and that will involve weighing the costs,” Goodwin said.
The state attorney general’s office is reviewing the bylaw, as it does all bylaws approved by town meetings, and has 90 days to decide whether the zoning is consistent with state law.
The attorney general’s office does not get involved in whether a bylaw can be applied retroactively, according to spokeswoman Margaret Quackenbush.
Johanna Seltz can be reached at [email protected].

Basically I think these poor guys are f**ked. Of course the zoning rule will be applied retroactively -- Healy will make sure of that!
She'll probably throw in a freebie to Dedham and sue J&J on behalf of the town.

Back
Top Bottom