J-Frame or Kahr PM9 ????

JohnnyC

NES Member
For a carry gun which would you prefer and why? Primarily looking at the 442 Airweight vs. the Kahr PM9.... price is really not an issue between the two. Thank you.

I love my 442 and it's my daily CCW and goto gun when I'm quickly running out the door. That being said, I think I'd prefer a PM9. I wouldn't sell my 442 in order to purchase a PM9, but if I owned both I think the PM9 would end up in my pocket more often. I've handled them on multiple occasions and it's just such so fricken slim it makes my wallet look huge.

I have the 642, which is near identical to the 442, and a PM9. I tend to carry the PM9 more. I think it conceals easier in my front pocket. The J-Frame seems to pattern more. Not a lot, but enough for me to not feel completely comfortable with it.

The PM9 is slimmer and more accurate under rapid fire than a J-frame. As much as I love the J-frames if you got the ~$750 get the Kahr.

I have both guns, as well as 30 years of J Frames as my carry guns. Now I find I carry the Kahr PM9 all the time. With the flush magazine, I carry 7 rounds and a back up mag of 7 more rounds.

The Kahr is just easier to carry, and I like the great night sights. Sights are much better than the J frame.

If I'm wearing pants that have tight pockets, I find the J frame comes out of the pocket faster than the square Kahr, but that is the only time I carry the J frame.

I have both guns, as well as 30 years of J Frames as my carry guns. Now I find I carry the Kahr PM9 all the time. With the flush magazine, I carry 7 rounds and a back up mag of 7 more rounds.

The Kahr is just easier to carry, and I like the great night sights. Sights are much better than the J frame.

If I'm wearing pants that have tight pockets, I find the J frame comes out of the pocket faster than the square Kahr, but that is the only time I carry the J frame.

Is that once a month when you wear your leather pants down to the club? [smile]

Which holster do you use for the PM9 in pocket?

I've been using a cheap Uncle Mike's and it's been fine.

Seems like a silly question but the PM9... this is a Mass compliant Kahr? with a 7rnd flush fitting mag, and night sights. Retail $750.00???

That's the one, only I have the non-Massified version. (No external safety to worry about when the fit hits the shan.)

Seems like a silly question but the PM9... this is a Mass compliant Kahr? with a 7rnd flush fitting mag, and night sights. Retail $750.00???

The flush fit mag is 6 rounds, not 7. The PM9 comes with one 6 round flush fit mag and one 7 round extended mag, or at least mine did.

Also, I use a Desantis Nemesis.

I have a 642 and an MK9 ( the all steel version of the PM9). I now carry the MK9 more often than the 642 even though it is a little heavier. I can shoot it better and I like having the higher capacity. I pocket carry it in an Uncle Mikes or I wear it IWB in a leather holster. I actually think the Kahr has a more obvious print in the pocket than a j frame but the difference is minor.

You can shoot through your pocket with the J-frame, and the PM9 might malfunction. Not that you'd do that everyday, but the Malden guy's gun did snag on his cloth and he had to shoot though before the presentation.

Do you all have the standard PM9 sights, or did you opt for the more expensive Trijicon night sights? What is your opinion of each? Thank you for your responses..... Johnny

I got a PM9 as my first carry piece, so I have nothing to compare it to. I use a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster for in-the-waistband carry and a Galco Leather Front Pocket Holster for pocket carry.

The PM9 is a great gun to ease into concealed carry with. Even a newbie like me was able to accommodate this gun with no concerns of 'printing'.

Mine came with the night sights, which are quite nice. [smile]

Do you all have the standard PM9 sights, or did you opt for the more expensive Trijicon night sights? What is your opinion of each? Thank you for your responses..... Johnny

I can only speak to the night sights which are standard, 3 dot, Trijicons. In other words, they're excellent and probably the best you'll see on a gun of this size. I think the standard sights are bar and dot kind of like standard SIG sights (which I like also).

I have both the 642 (with Crimson Trace grips) and the PM9 (with night sights), and I regularly carry the PM9, due to its larger capacity and faster reload. The 642 has some advantages, as listed above.

I carry the PM9 in one of 3 ways: IWB in a Galco holster (or in my incoming Crossbreed SuperTuck); I pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis holster; or I use a Blackhawk size 1 ankle holster.

The ankle holster is very nice, once you get used to wearing the bands around your leg, but I don't wear it every day because I get a little chafing. Once I get the Crossbreed, I'll probably use it more than the ankle rig.

I carry the 642 in a DeSantis IWB holster, in the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, or in a Fobus ankle rig.

Back
Top Bottom