• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J Frame grips

Hi,

Looking for some recommendations for the smallest profile, lightest weight grips for a j frame revolver. What do you like? Ive found a couple options but given what i paid for the gun id like to keep cost as low as i can.

Thanks

i use an older version of the hogue boot grip... ~30 bucks. if you're skinflinting you probably won't get cheaper than $25 for a no-name set. you could hit shops and shows and dig thru some of their boxes of used stuff. some good finds/buys in them sometimes. stock s&w j frame grips are pretty low profile as is, i just installed this set to give myself a little more purchase gripping the pistol.

boot grip.jpg

I use a larger Pachmayer grip as I want to have 3 fingers wrapped around the grip.

IMG_20200111_124044024.jpg

Last edited:
There are also grip inserts, Tyler makes them, as do others.

I used them on my J frame back in the early 80's.... it didn't solve the pinky finger hanging off the bottom, but it did help be have a better grip on the gun, especially with +P loads

You want a grip you are going to be able to control the gun with, and that may not necessarily be the smallest or thinnest

tyler.jpg

I use regular hogue grips. Slightly bigger than stock but so much more comfortable as well as better grip if your hands are wet/sweaty

Attachments

• 2E5C22CD-BC6D-4077-A591-8AA28552664A.jpeg
    2E5C22CD-BC6D-4077-A591-8AA28552664A.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 19
I have a set of Uncle Mikes Boot grips for one of my J Frames.

You do know that J Frames came in both round and square butt models, right ???
With the square butt frames being discontinued in 1995.

cherrysnub01.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for some recommendations for the smallest profile, lightest weight grips for a j frame revolver.

These are it... V

i use an older version of the hogue boot grip...
boot-grip-jpg.323931

This was the original "boot" grip made by Hogue and was O.E.M. on many S&W J-Frames in the mid-2000's to early 2010's.
It is head and shoulders above the current grips sold with those guns. (IMO)
I like them so much, I went and bought a half dozen Used-Like New sets off Ebay and have most of them mounted on my J-Frames now.

I'm a firm believer of "If you like something enough, buy duplicates because you never know how long they'll be available"...

I believe these are made by Hogue from a Craig Spegal design for Uncle Mike's and are identical.

"The grip is from Uncle Mike’s and is an approved copy of Craig Spegel’s boot grip.
The front of the grip mimics the Tyler grip adapter while the grip does not cover the rear strap.
It is no longer than the gun’s grip frame and relatively thin. Being rubber, it is not stained by sweat after daily pocket carry in hot climates.

I have experienced no problems with this grip for pocket carry. It works fine with speedloaders. " Courtesy of snubnose.info

cherrysnub01.jpg

Last edited:
The current J-Frame grip is too hard, more slippery/less grippy and is slightly larger (especially in the cylinder-swing cut out, which is a critical area when using speed-loaders)
than the Hogue/Uncle Mikes "Boot" grip.

15SNWASW642RWT38PHNG

Last edited:
I love the looks of wood, but because I have 30+ years of working on motorcycles with solvents, I no longer have any oils left in my hands.
They literally feel like "greased pigs" in my hand...

Not my photo of not my gun, but I have an early Model 36 with grips like these and LOVE them.
View attachment 323949
This is roughly what im looking for, either wood or synthetic of some kind. Ive come across a few options but they seem to be $60 or more. Since thats a pretty significant portion of what i paid id like to avoid that cost, but if thats what it takes id consider it. I really want to go small/light/thin because its my smallest deepest cover pistol.

I like the Desantis clip grip, the clip fits in every holster I have and doesn't really add any thickness on IWB. I find I get a better position of my finger on the trigger because of the way the protrusion of the clip. Its a hard plastic but the knurling is pretty good.

If your J-frame is a magnum, these might be a very nice choice from Hogue...

2000712829.800x800.jpg

Has anyone tried these?

No. How would you describe your hand size? Small/Medium/Large?

They (the grip link you posted) look like they would be better served with a Tyler Grip Adapter.
Which will add weight and cost but you get to have the cool, Classic look...

image006g.jpg

This may help with your decision...
J-Frame Revolver Grips

Last edited:
My father gave me a couple sets of these original S&W’s. They’re better for holster vs pocket carry. A pair of boot grips get swapped if going in a pocket. My hands are XXL so it’s a pita to shoot anything small. C4B09B05-8CE0-4555-A265-5848527592EA.jpeg

I think there is a big difference here between smallest and best for carry. And then actually shooting it.
i think the uncle mikes boot grips types are the best balance of size and grip if you are actually shooting. The stock wood or Barami types are great for carry but miserable for shooting.

I think there is a big difference here between smallest and best for carry. And then actually shooting it.
i think the uncle mikes boot grips types are the best balance of size and grip if you are actually shooting. The stock wood or Barami types are great for carry but miserable for shooting.
Im really looking to macimize concealment and ease of carry on this gun. Im not worried about getting my pinky on the grip at this point. My goal is to have this gun disappear and shed some weight. I have other carry guns that are easier to shoot but weigh a little bit more. This pistol is filling a new role.

Im really looking to macimize concealment and ease of carry on this gun. Im not worried about getting my pinky on the grip at this point. My goal is to have this gun disappear and shed some weight. I have other carry guns that are easier to shoot but weigh a little bit more. This pistol is filling a new role.

if it all about small.. I’d go with the std wood j-frame grip. If you want the Barami.. that is kind of a different animal.they Are or were cheap. But may be discontinued at the point. If you can’t find them I would sell you mine.

You do know that J Frames came in both round and square butt models, right ???
With the square butt frames being discontinued in 1995.

cherrysnub01.jpg
I have a model 36 square butt. I bought it used with a pachmayer grip installed. It's ok but I was really hoping to put a hogue grip on it. It turns out almost no one makes square butt grips. Pachmayer and maybe some custom wood grip manufacturers only. I really dont see the squares around much at all. Maybe that's why they discontinued it

Back
Top Bottom