Izhevsk in the Collection

After a long wait, the Izhevsk from Gunbroker is in. It "Iz" OK, just not completely as I envisioned. Lesson learned from trusting descriptions via e-mail and not asking for more pics.... um, $600 lesson.

But, enough crying. Blueing was as described, 95 plus %. All numbers do match. No refurb [/] marks. The stock does have a few more dings, flakes, scratches than I wanted. Although I believe that the Seller stored it since he purchased it in 2001, it does show evidence that it has been previously fired - mag follower wear, slight bolt imprint, all cosmo cleaned out, etc.

It may become a shooter? May be a closet queen? What do you guys think... honestly, of course? Izzy good?

Izzy_sks_016.jpg

Izzy_sks_017.jpg

Izzy_sks_010.jpg

Izzy_sks_007.jpg

Izzy_sks_012.jpg

Izzy_sks_011.jpg

Izzy_sks_009.jpg

Izzy_sks_008.jpg

Izzy_sks_014.jpg

Izzy_sks_015.jpg

Izzy_sks_004.jpg

Izzy_sks_013.jpg

I saw it and if the price had gone the way I wanted, it'd be in my safe right now.[grin]

I'm looking for 1 of each produced (53' and 54' Izzy) for my collection and am still kicking msyelf for not paying $450 for a mint 53' a little while back but I just didn't have the cash.

[smile]im so glad I never got rid of mine[smile] I couldnt part with 600.00 for an sks right now. Yes I shoot mine.

Hey - don't worry about the money. $600 is reasonable for two SKS rifles......

You did get two, right?

Yes, correct. I got one Izzy and one up the Wazzy..... heh, heh....

Actually the market value of the rarer breed of Russian is at or near the price for a "real" nice one. I think this one's O.K. but I did splurge a bit for the collectibility.

Don't let those $450ish ones get away again, Milsurps! And could you (pretty please) post a pic of that 90deg gas block '50. That's a rare one too!

From the limited amount of pictures he's released of his SKS rack, I think it's rare when he lets a great deal on a Russian go by.

Now that IS nice.

Besides the gas block and possible springed firing pin, what other features make it different from the late '50 through early '54?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, now I'll have to go home and check my '54 with laminate stock to see if it has refurb marks. I had heard that the Russians made some original lam stocks on their '54's but never thought to look if mine was a force fit or not. It does have matching numbers.

Those two rare Russians, side by side, are a sight to behold!

Here's my lam Ruskie. I actually bought it from a Mass native last November with all the accessories shown (including 40 rounds of steel core ammo) for $250.

russian_sks_002.jpg

russian_sks_001.jpg

Last edited:
You may have paid a bit on the HIGH side but you have a couple nice features. The stock appears not to be re numbered, the finish is not that god awful black crinkle looking paint and from what I can see the bluing is very nice.
I shoot all of my rifles. No matter how collectible.

I do know a member of my gun club who has a safe of rifles that he never shoots. In fact he never shoots any of them. I am talking about a Trap door, a 1903 , and a Krag to name a few. When I asked him why he doesn't shoot them he said they will go down in value if he does.

He is 78 years old. I asked are you going to sell them....answer no. Are you giving them to your kids...answer no....sooooooo they just sit and you don't enjoy shooting them. His response...yeah I guess. So the moral of the story, take her out and shoot her. Its far more rewarding not to say a hell of allot of fun.[wink]

Sold my 1953 for $450.00 9 years ago :) Rileys had a 1954 for $295.00. I asked about it. Dusty said it was a century put together, ??? I gave him a lesson and he sold me the rifle I wanted for $200.00. He sold it for $495.00 on Gunbroker a few days later. Mine shot the balls.

I think since it's already been fired, a few more to sight her in won't change a thing. It's not that I'm afraid of zombies, but I am..... never know when I might just have to pick one out of the rack at random. [thinking]

The price was just to say I have a nice Izzy, and I do now. I've certainly stolen (with cash, that is) my share lately. My last '53 Russian was just $200, so it evens out.

Thanks for looking, fellas. It may not be the last time she shows up on this fine forum!

Back
Top Bottom