• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Iwo Jima anniversary today

"In some of the bloodiest fighting of World War II, it’s believed that all but 200 or so of the 21,000 Japanese forces on the island were killed, as were almost 7,000 Marines. But once the fighting was over, the strategic value of Iwo Jima was called into question."

By no stretch of the imagination it was a most ugly battle. May they rest in peace. Most who survived have since passed, saddled with some horrific memories no doubt.

I used to have a family friend who would only show up once a year since I was a baby. It was always at 6 a m on Christmas’s morning ! I got about 25 years of those wake ups ! God bless you mike dematteo ! Iwo Jima vet ! He was one of the vets left behind after the war was over and was later rescued by the U S !

Jack Lucas.png

You wouldn't know it to look at him, but the little old man in the center of this photo was one of the toughest Jarheads ever.

In 1942 when he was only 14, Jacklyn "Jack" Lucas enlisted in the Marine Corps after convincing the recruiter he was 17. Posted to a depot unit at Pearl Harbor, Jack was bored and wanted action, so in January of 1945, he rolled up a combat uniform under his arm, sneaked out of camp, and stowed away aboard a Naval Transport that was taking 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division to Iwo Jima.

Not knowing what to do with him, the Marine battalion commander busted Jack one rank, then assigned him as rifleman to C Company.

A few days later, Jack turned 17. The day after landing on Iwo Jima, Jack dove on top of one Japanese grenade then pulled another beneath him. The blast ripped through his body, but saved his comrades. It took 21 surgeries to save him, and for the rest of his life carried in his body more than 200 large pieces of shrapnel. On October 5th, 1945, Jack Lucas received the Medal of Honor from President Harry Truman in a ceremony on the White House lawn. He is the youngest Marine ever to receive the nation's highest honor.

He then returned to high school.... as a freshman. After college, Jack entered the Army as a Captain in the 82nd Airborne, and survived a training jump in which neither his main chute nor his reserve chute opened. Two years before he died in 2008, Jack was honored by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Michael W. Hagee, who presented him with a Medal of Honor ceremonial flag at the Marine Barracks in Washington, D.C. It was during that ceremony that this photo was taken.

Semper Fidelis.

moh flag.jpg

27 MOH's presented for the battle of Iwo Jima.

List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Battle of Iwo Jima - Wikipedia

Mansions of the Lord

Wait for it after the bugle!

To fallen soldiers let us sing,
Where no rockets fly nor bullets wing,
Our broken brothers let us bring
To the Mansions of the Lord
No more weeping,
No more fight,
No friends bleeding through the night,
Just Divine embrace,
Eternal light,
In the Mansions of the Lord
Where no mothers cry
And no children weep,
We shall stand and guard
Though the angels sleep,
Oh, through the ages let us keep
The Mansions of the Lord

Last edited:
I met Jack Lucas at one of the Medal of Honor recipient dinners in Boston. What a funny great badass guy he was.

Had read his book and he autographed it for me, only to have it “disappear” after lending it out to a friend to read. So pissed.

Rest In Peace Jack, and thank you and all your brothers for being an American Badass.

I worked with some outstanding people. 30+ missions over Germany, So Pac Navy and Marines, Mermasnk run Merchant Marines and first in Paratrooper Normandy drop Screaming Eagles. I will never forget them. I am humbled in their absence.

Frankie was a hard drinking serious alcohol problem guy. He never beat his wife, kids or had a fight, always showed up on time for work and was never drunk on duty. He did drink heavily.

He was on the board of directors that took care of the veterans in my profession. We had an annual meeting that was a dinner night out and the organization paid for that one annual perk. Frankie had enlisted in 1939. He was an Iwo Marine Vet. His enlistment was extended after Dec 7 1941 and he spent the entire time in the South Pacific. Ask me about his shoes after he came home.

We were delegated to pick up and drop Frankie each year on our annual dinner meeting. Eventually that job rotated and fell to me. We all knew that it would be a drunken ride home, but it was the price we paid to take care of our own and those that paid in blood for their service.

The annual meeting was in February and it was my turn. There was snow on the roadside, piled 3 foot high on the edge, but the roads were clear. I was worried about the ride home.

The restaurant was one of Japanese cuisine. I knew I had a problem when I delivered Frankie to the room where we were to eat. Frankie ordered his third drink when most of us were still on our first. The waiters wore long black ties over white shirts. The waiters were starting to serve some egg rolls and Frankie still had not had his third drink served. The waiter was trying to ignore him.

As the poor kid went by the table Frankie grabbed his tie, pulled his chin down hard on the table and said, "I killed your fuggin grandfather on Iwo and you are next if you don't bring me my fuggin drink!"

Frankie got his drink and I had to take him home.

Long story short, on the way home, he told me to pull over. He as about to barf. I pulled to the side of the road but as he opened the door to puke, it hit the snowbank and pushed him back into the car. After we cleaned up and continued home, he said, "I threw a grenade and nobody came. Can you understand that? Nobody came!"

He then told me about working the way up through the caves and tossing satchel charges. He told me about hitting the beach with his buddies. He told me about his pals that dropped all the way up the mountain. It was then that I understood, "I threw a grenade and nobody came. Can you understand that? Nobody came!"

Marines fight tight, fire your rifle, somebody shows up in your position to help. Toss a grenade, you need lots of help. He was the only one left.

Years later I told this story to a Nam vet that I worked with who was in counseling for PTSD. He in turn told this story to his group. A Marine vet in that group went pale and after a moment said, "That's why I am here."

I had a uncle, by marriage, that was a Marine on Iwo Jima. He was gut shot and landed in a bomb crater on Iwo Jima. He had a friend growing up, that also joined the Corps during WW11. Guess who was in the crater and was also wounded? Yup, his friend from Plymouth. LoLo was his nick name. Lo Lo was machine gunned across the belly and never walked again. I had the pleasure of meeting and seeing Lo Lo many times as a kid. A happier, more kind man would be hard to find. My uncle, on the other hand was nice when sober, but a real SOB when drinking, which was most of the time. He was however, always good to me. They are both gone now, but after Nam, I better understood that Lo Lo was simply happy to be alive and uncle Joe, was simply trying to forget. To uncle Joe and Lo Lo, Semper Fi Marines. Almost forgot, uncle Joe died at age 46 of pretty much total liver damage.

Last edited:
75th anniversary of D Day on Iwo Jima today.
The example set by the Marines and sailors who fought on Iwo Jima set the standard for what the Marine Corps is today.
Semper fidelis!

Last edited:
"In some of the bloodiest fighting of World War II, it’s believed that all but 200 or so of the 21,000 Japanese forces on the island were killed, as were almost 7,000 Marines. But once the fighting was over, the strategic value of Iwo Jima was called into question."

By no stretch of the imagination it was a most ugly battle. May they rest in peace. Most who survived have since passed, saddled with some horrific memories no doubt.
I believe the bombers that hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki took off from Iwo Jima....if so, the island and battle was one of the most important in human history.

I wonder if they even teach the young ones in our leftie liberal school systems about the heroics of the brave Marines at Iwo Jima and other hell holes...I suspect that today's 75th anniversary of Iwo Jima is not even mentioned. So sad...they are instead more likely being taught what a fine American patriot Kolin Kapernick is!!!

I believe the bombers that hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki took off from Iwo Jima....if so, the island and battle was one of the most important in human history.
The Enola Gay and Bockscar both departed from Tinian which is about 700 miles SSE of Iwo Jima, but it's capture was still very valuable:
Remembering Iwo Jima and its importance to strategic airpower
Iwo Jima in American hands produced immediate and highly visible benefits to the strategic bombing campaign. Marines fighting on the island were reminded of this mission time and again as crippled B-29 Superfortresses landed after bombing Japan. The capture of Iwo Jima served to increase the operating range, payload, and survival rate of the big bombers. The monthly tonnage of high explosives dropped on Imperial Japan by B-29s based in the Mariana Islands increased eleven-fold in March alone.

Nearly every day until the end of World War II, crippled bombers landed on Iwo Jima's airfields. The importance of the island hit its peak on June 7, 1945, when 102 B-29s landed on Iwo Jima and then again when 186 bombers landed on the island on July 24, 1945.

By war's end, a total of 2,451 B-29s made forced landings on the island. This figure represented an estimated 26,961 flight crewmen, many of whom would have perished at sea without the availability of Iwo Jima as a safe landing strip. One B-29 pilot said, "Whenever I land on this island I thank God for the men who fought for it."

From Wikipedia :

Despite the bloody fighting and severe casualties on both sides, the American victory was assured from the start. Overwhelming American superiority in numbers and arms as well as complete air supremacy—coupled with the impossibility of Japanese retreat or reinforcement, along with sparse food and supplies—permitted no plausible circumstance in which the Americans could have lost the battle

Anyone can edit wikipedia with the Edit tab up at the top right of the page

I wonder if they even teach the young ones in our leftie liberal school systems about the heroics of the brave Marines at Iwo Jima and other hell holes...I suspect that today's 75th anniversary of Iwo Jima is not even mentioned. So sad...they are instead more likely being taught what a fine American patriot Kolin Kapernick is!!!

On the Nailhead ! ! ! [halfmast]

My Granddad was there. He was a frog man, UDT. He got to swim in at night, ahead of the marines to clear the beaches. Got a Bronze Star for that. He marched in every Memorial Day parade until his mid 80s, wearing his original Navy uniform.

At the same time, my other Granddad was in France. He got left behind by his squad, under heavy fire. He laid in the mud for a day in front of 2 machine gun nests. He was out of ammo and only had 1 grenade. Ended up charging a nest with a grenade in hand capturing 6 germans and marched them back to US forces, then kicked the shit out his squad for leaving him. He was awarded a Silver Star.

Their award papers listed the dates of their action 2 days apart. Gives me the chills thinking about it.

My Dad was wounded at Iwo Jima and carried some Japanese metal in his shoulder for the rest of his life. He would never talk about his experience on Iwo Jima just like a lot of the WWII guys.
I will never forget the time when my brothers and sisters took our Dad to Washington DC with all the grandchildren. My Dad was in his 70's at the time and was holding his own walking around to all the memorials and museums. He was excited to see the Iwo Jima Memorial and we all got on a tour bus to see it. As we got closer to the memorial my Dad got quiet and was clearly reliving his time on Iwo Jima. The bus stopped for us to get off and see the memorial. My Dad said that he was tired and was going to stay on the bus. This was obviously a lie and he was going through some strong memories. My sister was trying to coax him off the bus and the bus driver must have overheard the conversation. The driver told my sister that he would keep him company and that she should just go see the memorial. About 5 minutes later, here comes my Dad with the bus driver. We gave the bus driver and my Dad some space and let them walk around the memorial together. My sister grabbed the driver at the end of the tour and asked him how he got him off the bus? The driver said, sometimes a Marine just needs to talk to another Marine.

Back
Top Bottom