IWI Tavor Operator I

MaverickNH

NES Member
At long last, I got to Tavor Operator I in Lewisberry, PA, instructed by Tom Alibrando of IWI. It was an excellent course, on par with any I’ve had at SIG or elsewhere. And all 10 rifles were Tavor! Three SARS and 7 X95s. Only two suppressed - both 13in SBRs - the rest 16.5 barrels in 556.

Once we got out of way that a Tavor is a CQB rifle that hits 2-3in at 100yd, or better if you’re good and find the right ammo, it was all about 8in COM and head shots rather than sub-MOA accuracy. That said, I put 3rd on top of one another at 25yd with iron sites sighting in prone, which spread to <1.5in at 100yd.

Optics ranged from Mepro MORs, Aimpoints, Holosuns, EOTechs/3x magnifiers and my Trij ACOG Mini TA44. The max range we had at the sponsor club was 100yd so all worked fine.

The course assumed familiarity with basic to intermediate rifle combatives and focused on how best to use the Tavor platform. Tom is a top-shelf instructor in every way compared to the two-dozen plus I’ve learned from over the years. This is not a Rifle 101, 102 or 103 class - more a 201 starting with Tavors instead of other platforms. Tavor 2 & 3 are more distance, moving and such. No team tactics in Tavor 1.

We pulled apart our rifles in the clubhouse 1st day AM and got a clear understanding of how it works compared to AK and AR systems. Little tips made stuff that took minutes now take seconds.

We finished with a “Qualifier” Day 2, with ALL taught skills tested - twice! And then a competition. Best time for a for late-20s youngster was 29sec and then Tom did it in 21sec. I clocked 34sec - good hits but my 61yr-old arse doesn’t move so quick.

Then some fun time with a Galil, the new 9mm Masada pistol and the Negev 556 belt-fed. Gotta get me one of these! The pistol, anyway. It’s like a customized G17/19 out of the box - very sweet.

If you own a Tavor, you will learn how to use it to best advantage in Tavor 1. I may take it again before Tav2.

At long last, I got to Tavor Operator I in Lewisberry, PA, instructed by Tom Alibrando of IWI. It was an excellent course, on par with any I’ve had at SIG or elsewhere. And all 10 rifles were Tavor! Three SARS and 7 X95s. Only two suppressed - both 13in SBRs - the rest 16.5 barrels in 556.

Once we got out of way that a Tavor is a CQB rifle that hits 2-3in at 100yd, or better if you’re good and find the right ammo, it was all about 8in COM and head shots rather than sub-MOA accuracy. That said, I put 3rd on top of one another at 25yd with iron sites sighting in prone, which spread to <1.5in at 100yd.

Optics ranged from Mepro MORs, Aimpoints, Holosuns, EOTechs/3x magnifiers and my Trij ACOG Mini TA44. The max range we had at the sponsor club was 100yd so all worked fine.

The course assumed familiarity with basic to intermediate rifle combatives and focused on how best to use the Tavor platform. Tom is a top-shelf instructor in every way compared to the two-dozen plus I’ve learned from over the years. This is not a Rifle 101, 102 or 103 class - more a 201 starting with Tavors instead of other platforms. Tavor 2 & 3 are more distance, moving and such. No team tactics in Tavor 1.

We pulled apart our rifles in the clubhouse 1st day AM and got a clear understanding of how it works compared to AK and AR systems. Little tips made stuff that took minutes now take seconds.

We finished with a “Qualifier” Day 2, with ALL taught skills tested - twice! And then a competition. Best time for a for late-20s youngster was 29sec and then Tom did it in 21sec. I clocked 34sec - good hits but my 61yr-old arse doesn’t move so quick.

Then some fun time with a Galil, the new 9mm Masada pistol and the Negev 556 belt-fed. Gotta get me one of these! The pistol, anyway. It’s like a customized G17/19 out of the box - very sweet.

If you own a Tavor, you will learn how to use it to best advantage in Tavor 1. I may take it again before Tav2.

What are they like suppressed? I suppressed my AUG and it was gassy af. Which I suppose has a lot to do with the ejection port.

I run mine with a SliencerCo Omega 300 can on 556 and 300BO and it’s gassy indeed. I put a gasketedvport cover opposite the ejection port and sealed the rear rail where it leaks gas up into your cheek so it now mostly comes out the ejection port. It only noticeable indoors where there’d is no breeze and when rapid firing long string. The internals get really caked upwards of 1000rd but no failures I can attribute to the sooting up.

wow, never knew this course existed. I'll have to look into it, do you have website or contact info?.

Back
Top Bottom