• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IWB for 5" 1911

Ok, so I am thinking of getting a iwb for my new 1911. Thinking either the Shielded Holsters double phalanx, or a CrossBreed Holsters Super Tuck. Anyone have any experience with one of these?
And on another note, is it silly to go iwb with a 1911?
Thanks in advance for all your collective words of wisdom...

Tim

I don't IWB carry my 5" 1911 often, but when I do I really like my Cross Bread SuperTuck. After breaking the holster in, finding the best cant and position, I really like my CB SuperTuck. I carry all of my guns including my EDC in a CB-ST. YMMV

I used super tuck holster for my hk45c but wasn't trilled with it.
Now I'm using Minotaur mtac and I love it. The best part kydex plates are interchangeable. So for my 1911 I have use kydex plate for 1911 slide that works for any 1911 stile slides with 3,4,5 inch barrels (not for sig)
You can buy additional kydex for any gun you may carry for $35 instead of new holster. I have kydex for all my guns that I carry iwb.

Galco's version ( clone , rip-off ... ) of the Super Tuck is called King Tuck. I carry either a full size or a commander sized Smith daily that way.

When I tried to buy the Crossbreed there was a wait / delay and I am an impulsive/obsessive buyer. I want it NOW dammit. Galco had them in stock ready to go.

Very Happy Camper.

Galco's version ( clone , rip-off ... ) of the Super Tuck is called King Tuck. I carry either a full size or a commander sized Smith daily that way.

When I tried to buy the Crossbreed there was a wait / delay and I am an impulsive/obsessive buyer. I want it NOW dammit. Galco had them in stock ready to go.

Very Happy Camper.

I have a King Tuck for my 1911 full size and a Cross breed for most of my other guns. I actually think the Galco is a better quality holster and it was a little cheaper. I ordered it from Cabellas and at was at my door 3 days later

I have carried a commander size and full size 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck obviously the commander was a little more comfy but the fullsizr worked fine aswell.. i read somewhere that its not supposed to be comfortable its supposed to be comforting.. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just bought Hubby a Crossbreed Super Tuck as Birthday gift for his 1911. Because of how impressed I was with the Crossbreed mini tuck for the Kahr PM9. He didn't think he'd like it with a heavier, bulky gun. But, after he found the cant he likes. He's sold on it. They said it would be a 4 week wait. Surprise....it was here in a week.

Last edited:
I just bought Hubby a Crossbreed Super Tuck as Birthday gift for his 1911. Because of how impressed I was with the Crossbreed mini tuck for the Kahr PM9. He didn't think he'd like it with a heavier, bulky gun. But, after he found the cant he likes. He's sold on it. They said it would be a 4 week wait. Surprise....it was here in a week.

Can I just make a side comment of what an Awesome wife you are!!!

And on another note, is it silly to go iwb with a 1911?
Tim

I find that a 1911 fits quite nicely IWB compared to other pistols. This is because its single stack design makes it slim and narrow, especially with thinner grips. Everyone is different, but it is a great IWB carry gun for a lot of people. Try it, and see if it works for you too.

I have been using a Desantis Cozy Partner for years. It is comfortable and conceals well even for a large gun like a 1911. I have cozy partners for all my conceal carries. Not everyone likes leather though, For me I don’t like plastic or composition holsters and prefer leather.

Tactipac fusionPac very comfortable but i would go with the one without the mag holders its not the best place for it, i use this holster when i ride and around town, its got a very comfortable backing pad so you dont feel it, this may not be for you but check out the youtube vid this guy has onhis web page

for those who carry a 1911 in a ST or similar, do you carry cocked and locked? I ask because of the lack of a retention strap to go between the hammer and firing pin. Yes, I am aware there are safeties, but thats the one thing thats keeping me from using the 1911 as a CCW.

I carry hammer cocked. One in the chamber. I feel with the external safety and the beaver tail grip safety it's fine.
plus it being single action only...... I don't want to be in a situation where I have to rack the slide and chamber the round before engaging a crap situation . If its something you are not comfortable with, don't use it for CC.

on another note the kydex holster does use the trigger guard as one of the "pressure" points for retention, but it in no way comes in contact with the trigger.

for those who carry a 1911 in a ST or similar, do you carry cocked and locked? I ask because of the lack of a retention strap to go between the hammer and firing pin. Yes, I am aware there are safeties, but thats the one thing thats keeping me from using the 1911 as a CCW.
I carry my Ruger SR1911 IWB in condition-1 as well. I.e. cocked, locked, with one in the chamber. In addition to the two safeties, the half-cock sear would also have to fail in order to get shot in the ass.

im working to get over this fobia.

I carry hammer cocked. One in the chamber. I feel with the external safety and the beaver tail grip safety it's fine.
plus it being single action only...... I don't want to be in a situation where I have to rack the slide and chamber the round before engaging a crap situation . If its something you are not comfortable with, don't use it for CC.

on another note the kydex holster does use the trigger guard as one of the "pressure" points for retention, but it in no way comes in contact with the trigger.

AngelKing said:

Yes, cocked and locked. I'm not a fan of retention straps -- they can find their way into the trigger guard while holstering, and people often end up muzzling their weak hand while holstering as they use the weak hand to fuss with the strap.

Try this test: carry your 1911 around the house for a week, cocked and locked but empty.

Back
Top Bottom