IWB carry with a Striker fired Semi

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
I am interested to hear what my NES compatriots have to say about IWB with a striker fired pistol.

Background: I just bought a Glock 30S I am going to carry IWB. I have an Alien Gear IWB Cloak Tuck. I am right-handed.

Questions: 2-3 o’clock? Or 4-5 o’clock? One in the chamber is ideal, so should I remove the holster then re-holster the pistol and then secure the holster back on? I have a couple snap caps I am going to practice drawing with, different scenarios riding in the car etc. but what do people think about the positioning of the holster? I think even adjusting the retention so the muzzle points slightly outward and not toward my body is a good move. Please leave your opinions/experienced insight below! Thank you all for your time.

I usually carry at 3-4 O'clock, but you might be more comfortable further back. I also like to cant the holster forward.

Don't worry about positioning the muzzle away. Spend some time becoming comfortable, have some faith in yourself. Try drawing and reholstering with an empty firearm a bunch of times. Trust me, you want to pull that gun in tight.

One in the chamber is ideal, so should I remove the holster then re-holster the pistol and then secure the holster back on?

Huh?

I think you're overthinking this man. Carry wherever feels most comfortable for you and your body size/shape. Some people like appendix carry, others (like myself) prefer 4-5 o'clock carry. Practice drawing from whichever position you pick. The end.

so should I remove the holster then re-holster the pistol

For me it depends on the holster and gun. Bigger gun, I generally put the holster on empty. I just picked up a Vedder litetuck for my 365 and it's easy to clip it to my belt with the gun holstered.

One in the chamber is ideal
I wouldn't carry any other way. I know a lot of people say they are uncomfortable at first but it never bothered me. Trust yourself. Know that the only way the gun is going off is if the trigger is pulled. Don't pull the trigger. Practice good trigger discipline at all times

You just have to do it a few times to get over the fear/nervousness. I like my G19 in a single clip IWB holster at around 4 o'clock. Took me longer than most to trust myself to carry it with one in the chamber but its a must imo.

I like to visually check if I'm reholstering, just to be sure a part of my shirt isn't in there that could snag on the trigger, as rare as that may be. Everything else is basic safety.

I am interested to hear what my NES compatriots have to say about IWB with a striker fired pistol.

Background: I just bought a Glock 30S I am going to carry IWB. I have an Alien Gear IWB Cloak Tuck. I am right-handed.

Questions: 2-3 o’clock? Or 4-5 o’clock? One in the chamber is ideal, so should I remove the holster then re-holster the pistol and then secure the holster back on? I have a couple snap caps I am going to practice drawing with, different scenarios riding in the car etc. but what do people think about the positioning of the holster? I think even adjusting the retention so the muzzle points slightly outward and not toward my body is a good move. Please leave your opinions/experienced insight below! Thank you all for your time.

First off... if you have a striker fired gun with it mechanical safeties working properly, you are perfectly safe.

As far as carry position, I'm an appendix guy for the most part. That is obviously a big leap if you are even wondering about carrying IWB in the first place, so take baby steps. If I'm not carrying appendix, it's 3 o'clock. I don't like having my gun behind my hip, because I don't feel in control of it... Especially in a crowd. I really could care less about printing. It's about control for me. I would not mess with retention to cause gun to point away from you. The whole process of carrying concealed effectively is to make sure that your pants/belt/holster are all working together as a system. You don't need snap caps to practice drawing, just use an empty gun/mag.

I think it's good that you are thinking of how you could draw a gun in a car. Many people do not. imho... this is where appendix carry shines, in addition to being able to access your gun if you were on your back... but I digress. If you have a quality holster (preferably kydex) that covers trigger completely, you will be fine. If you have a gun with some f***ed up internals or stuff that you modified trigger, obviously risk goes up.

There are options to mitigate your re-holstering risk if you carry a Glock. You can get the SCD 'gadget' Striker Control Device
I ran one for a while, but need to upgrade for my gen 5 guns. If you pay attention to your clothes, and clear everything properly, you will have no issues safely re-holstering a pistol with a round in chamber. I (along with plenty of people here) have been doing it for years.

I carry my 365 at 4:30ish, full magazine and a round chambered. If something happens, I don’t want to waste time racking a slide when I can just sweep the safety off with my thumb as I draw. Takes practice though.

EDIT - I put the holster on the belt, then put the gun into the holster. It’s just easier for me.

Last edited:
Glock 43x, appendix, one in the chamber, don’t think twice about bolstering, just clear your shirt and you are good. Sometimes I carry at 4 o’clock but not very often. In the colder months I owb then cover it with a sweatshirt or coat.

I’ve Appendix carried a g30 daily since I got my LTC about 4 years ago, I don’t think I have every reholstered the gun when loaded though?

I haven’t avoided it per say I just don’t draw and reholster, once it’s on in the morning it’s on until a take it off at night, in its holster.

I have done some comp shooting with it but in those situations I have an OWB holster for it, I do carry that way in the winter when working out side shoveling etc with a heavy coat on.

Edit:

I tried strong side 3-5 and found the gun was to fat (put pressure on my hips and made my back hurt) and I didn’t like how exposed the grip was (30” waist doesn’t help!)

I’ve Appendix carried a g30 daily since I got my LTC about 4 years ago, I don’t think I have every reholstered the gun when loaded though?

I haven’t avoided it per say I just don’t draw and reholster, once it’s on in the morning it’s on until a take it off at night, in its holster.

I have done some comp shooting with it but in those situations I have an OWB holster for it, I do carry that way in the winter when working out side shoveling etc with a heavy coat on.

Edit:

I tried strong side 3-5 and found the gun was to fat (put pressure on my hips and made my back hurt) and I didn’t like how exposed the grip was (30” waist doesn’t help!)
I was thinking he meant that he would put the holster on, then holster the pistol. Because that’s what I do, sometimes I have to move the holster around to get it where I want it. And I don’t want a pistol in it while I do that

P365, appendix, one in the chamber (of course). I holster w the pistol in it unless I’m practicing draws w laser cartridge.

I was thinking he meant that he would put the holster on, then holster the pistol. Because that’s what I do, sometimes I have to move the holster around to get it where I want it. And I don’t want a pistol in it while I do that

Same here

First off... if you have a striker fired gun with it mechanical safeties working properly, you are perfectly safe.

Pretty broad statement given that there has been more than one ND reported to be caused by clothing getting caught inside the trigger guard of a striker fired gun, with no mention of a mechanical failure.

Overconfidence causes accidents.

Pretty broad statement given that there has been more than one ND reported to be caused by clothing getting caught inside the trigger guard of a striker fired gun, with no mention of a mechanical failure.

Overconfidence causes accidents.

You obviously missed the point of that. It's cool tho.

Single clip IWB holster at 3:30-4:00 canted a bit forward "FBI cant". A large percentage of NDs happen while holstering. With the single clip holster I can easily put on and take off the holster with the gun in it. I'll often go a week or more without upholstering the gun.

If you're just starting your CCW journey, work on deveopling muscle memory of safe habits. Like others have said, lots of snap cap work: drawing, re-holsteting racking, not sweeping yourself or others when handling it, etc. I actually carried with an empty chamber my first few months. I watched myself for safety mistakes and worked on good habits. At some point I decided safe handling was habit, not deliberate action, and switched to carrying with one in the pipe.

I carry AIWB. For me it is the most comfortable, most concealable and offers the most accessibility and security.
In the summer(shorts/tshirt), I am generally carrying a p365 in a Blackpoint holster and fall-spring G19 in a PHLster Spotlight (jeans/buttondownshirt/tshirt).

I also don't really believe in hybrid holsters and think they are a bad concept. Unless the gun is being held in two in between two pieces of kydex you are going to eventually get deformation and a loss of retention.

In terms of how to put the gun on: Gun goes in holster and then holster goes on belt. At night holster comes off with gun inside. There is no need to take the gun in and out of the holster daily or even weekly. Gun only leaves the holster to go pew-pew or to get cleaned, that's all. And holster stays on belt when you go pee-pee or poo-poo so there is no danger of being "that guy".
Especially with a striker-fired gun, the holster IS the safety. As long as you have a mechanically sound gun, it is safe while its in the holster. When it is going in and out is when you have to be the most careful. If it has to come out, don't be in a hurry to get it back in.

The hardest thing about carrying is finding the right gun/holster/belt/clothing combo that fits you body and your lifestyle/workplace. It takes some trial and error to get the right match. Good luck!

Last edited:
Carry with a loaded chamber. You will have to decide whether you prefer appendix or strong side hip. I went through a fair number of holsters and a couple guns before I found one that works for me as appendix carry.

The only thing I will add here is holstering should always be deliberate and careful. There is never a rush to holster. Check the holster for obstructions.....make sure clothing is clear of the holster.....and carefully place the handgun in the holster......if you feel resistance.....STOP and start the process again.

Again.....there is never a hurry to holster a fire arm. Take your time.

well in terms of the worrying about where the muzzle is pointing, I carry hammer guns in appendix pointed just along the R side of my junk. non issue. it turns out that pistols do not go bang without experiencing a trigger pull. a DA hammer mechanism provides an extra level of security. my beloved 92 series is the most absurdly over-safetied pistol ever build. within a holster I trust it pointed at any part of my body and I can already hear the safety purists chattering their teeth.

it is important to trust one's equipment. trust is the basis of all relationships.

When I'm not carrying a full size handgun in a knapsack, I carry a Glock 43 between 3 and 4 IWB; that's what works for me - doesn't mean it will work for you. I use a good quality Kydex holster which fully covers and protects the trigger - that's a principle that works for everybody. Doesn't have to be kydex, but stay away from those crappy nylon one-size-fits-none holsters. Your holster should properly fit the gun you're carrying and should make it impossible to pull the trigger while the gun is holstered.

Along with a good holster, get a quality belt.

Because I don't carry this gun every day, and because my cover garments change - every time that I put it on, I draw it at least once to make sure that I won't have an issue clearing my cover garment. I also check to make sure that I can access my spare mag for the same reason.

If you are really paranoid, you could get a striker control device. Lets you directly control the striker with your thumb while holstering. However, most would argue this is redundant to proper technique. I also have no idea what this does for reliability, as I've never used one.

Forgot the link:

Striker Control Device

OP you might want to check out a Phlster gen 2 Skeleton holster. I was recently looking for a new AIWB holster and came across it. Think it might fit the bill for you since you can literally load and unload the firearm while still in the holster making it impossible to pull the trigger. Not what I personally would do, but it’s an option.

Skip to about 3:20 to see what I am talking about. Phlster makes great holsters btw.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge5l-LwuAI

I personally load my firearm keeping the booger hook away from the bang switch. Visually check that there is nothing in the trigger guard and then nothing in the holster. Then put the gun in the holster slowly. I say slowly like others have pointed out so that if you do feel any odd resistance you can stop and assess. After that, put the holster in either the AIWB 1 o’clock position or the 4-5 o’clock position with a slight forward cant.

If you are really paranoid, you could get a striker control device. Lets you directly control the striker with your thumb while holstering. However, most would argue this is redundant to proper technique. I also have no idea what this does for reliability, as I've never used one.

Forgot the link:

Striker Control Device

That's phenomenal. I had no idea something like that existed. I may pick one up for my G19.

Find a carry position that works for you. If I carry on my hip it’s about 3:30, just behind the center of my hip. Some people do 3:00 exactly, some move it all the way back to 5:00. I recommend carrying as close to centered as possible.

As for holsters, I don’t like hybrid holsters. Alien gear is the only one I’ve ever had and it did not perform too well. It held the gun in place and that was it. It lacked positive retention and closed up when I drew. I didn’t like that it had two clips. The leather fatigued pretty quick from exposure to sweat.

I vastly prefer a fully kydex holster. They always stay open. There’s a positive click when you holster or unholster. Retention is much better. Comfort is diminished but only slightly; maybe I haven’t tried the right one yet though, who knows. If you want to try a quality kydex holster for not too much money, I recommend bravo concealment. Dark star and phlster are also good, as are many others.

I carry at the appendix position most of the time, especially in the summer, always a striker pistol with a round in the chamber. If you’re not comfortable with that set up then don’t force yourself into it, but it has a lot of benefits.

Back
Top Bottom